Adding 3rd Bedroom to our Villa.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by JimBass, 6th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The other option is to put a new bathroom where the top part of the kitchen is (ie to the top of the wall oven) and then move the kitchen down in a L shape so that the meals area can be incorporated into the L kitchen

2. JimBass

JimBass Well-Known Member

I think we're still more inclined to maintain the hallway and avoid too much swapping and changing of rooms. If a 1.2 M wide bathroom is to narrow we could potentially increase the width by a bit more and create say a 1.4-1.5 x 3.6m Bathroom. It would then obviously reduce the size of the bedroom to around 2.8-7 x 3.6m with the other rooms being 3 x 3.6 and 2.7 x 3.6.

Another suggestion made to us was to use the Robe space between bedroom 1 and 2 .. this would create a bathroom around 1.7-8 x 2.8m and maintain a lot of the size of the main bedroom. New robes could then go in between room 2 and the new room 3.

Attached Files:

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I think the bedroom to living area and living room/meals area to bedroom has merits

4. JimBass

Agreed it definitely does but it will depend on if we have the appetite to do such a large renovation. I guess we are swayed more to our original ideas due to its simplicity.

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I would think moving/adding plumbing would not be cheap.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Moving a bathroom/laundry is never simple. You may well find it easier and cheaper to reconfigure the living room and bedrooms and basically keep the plumbing in the same area as it is now.
    Marg

7. JimBass

I know this was originally started some months ago and we left the idea over winter mainly due to the horrors of a teething/non-sleeping baby in the house! Now that things have calmed down and the weather has improved we've been spending the last month or so planning what our move will be. I was somewhat hesitant about the idea of moving our living room to create the extra bedroom earlier this year but the more we look at it and the more we see the market around us for 3 bedroom places going gang busters (And well out of reach for us to upgrade to) the more the idea makes sense.

I've drawn up a basic floorplan. The new floorplan would incorporate two 4m x 3m and 4m x 2.7m bedrooms and a open plan living/dining/kitchen area that would span 7.75m x 4.5m in most spots. What's holding us back is the loss of our current living room which has a nice outlook onto the street and our worry that the new living/dining/kitchen might be a bit too small. We could probably cope fine but I worry that future potential buyers would be put off by this. If we decide to bight the bullet our next step will be getting the idea properly drawn up by a draftsman with the idea being that we'll move in with my parents next year and complete the reno over the autumn/winter period. les.png

Westminster likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Set it all out at a local carpark or playing field. A few pegs or stakes, lots of string (some building lime to make the lines).

neK and JimBass like this.
  9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Apart from the small size, another drawback will be the outlook from the living area into the garage?

10. JimBass

Sorry should have mentioned that the window is above the garage. Nice outlook onto oak trees!