Adding 2nd driveway, locating services

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ramblin72, 9th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ramblin72

ramblin72 Well-Known Member

We want to add a 2nd driveway to our PPOR. Our main driveway is never used and just leads to what used to be the garage but was converted to an office. We now park in a designated carport with rollerdoor but to drive into it we are driving over a grassed area of our front yard. 10 years of doing this and the yard has degraded so it's time to get a driveway put in.

According to our council (QLD), we have to submit a form along with $300 to be assessed. This is because it's a 2nd driveway.

Part of the form requires drawings and the following information detailed on the drawing:
    1. The proposed new, replacement, altered and existing driveway/s;
    2. Proposed and existing buildings and structures on the property;
    3. Electricity and street lighting poles;
    4. Trees and shrubs;
    5. Painted or concrete traffic islands on the road;
    6. Water meter/s;
    7. Fire hydrants or valves;
    8. Bus stop
    9. Utility covers (e.g. Telstra, NBN, gas, water, electricity etc.);

10. Stormwater catchpit/s in the kerb & channel;
    11. Sewerage and stormwater manholes;
    12 Land survey marks;
    13. Water supply pipes between the water main & meter
    14. Easements

I know where items 1-9 are, however, I don't know where items 10-14 are. I wish the council would have some examples of what things look like or where they might be.

I see we have 2 storm water pipes out on the kerb but I don't know where the pipes run under my yard to end up out on the kerb.

I thought I might ask if anyone has some ideas on how I can determine where items 10-14 on my list are located on my property?

Thank you

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Call a concretor and ask for a quote....
    I doubt you will have to do any of the above

I am guessing you have rolled edge kerb (so no need for a kerb opening permit)
    As you have been using it for years already (it isn't near a corner or pedestrian crossing)
    It isn't near the water meter or sewer as you would likely have damaged these already.
    Kerb and channel are definitely not on your property !

ramblin72 likes this.
  3. ramblin72

Thanks. I've got 2 quotes so far and both contractors have sent me to the council site to seek out the paperwork. I've also had a plumber give a quote to redo some pipework in the same area but in discussions with all contractors, they've guessed where the current pipework might be running as opposed to knowing with certainty.

4. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

I think if you went to dial before you dig, you'd get the answers to most of those questions

ramblin72 likes this.
  5. ramblin72

Thanks, I appreciate that

luckyone likes this.
  6. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@ramblin72 sounds like you might need a Surveyor to locate the services and put it all together on a plan to scale.

In NSW we call it a "Detail Survey". it would be drawn at 1:100 (usually) and show what exists on the site today. it should probably also show the property boundaries in relation to all the features. this enables council to assess what your new works may be impacting.

you will probably get away with just the immediate area you're proposing to build (not the whole site)

re: item 12.
    there is also a new law in NSW called "Protection of Survey infrastructure" (POSI). that is where a surveyor locates any survey marks in the vicinity and declares whether they might be destroyed by the works. if they are then he must prepare a plan for the Dept of Lands. Item 12 could be something similar but i'm not sure of QLD's laws.

(its come about because of all the new developments and the contractors have been destroying valuable marks that we use to determine boundaries, height datums and state grid co-ordinates, Once lost they cost $$$ to reinstate)

Attached Files:

Last edited: 9th Oct, 2019
    ramblin72 likes this.
  7. ramblin72

thank you, that is helpful info. I submitted a query on the dial before you dig site and got a collection of documents back in a short time. It's not quite comprehensive but is a start. The above is also helpful. I appreciate your response :)