Health & Family Addicted to Diet Drinks

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 27th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SOULFLY3

SOULFLY3 Well-Known Member

Pepsi max ;)

MTR likes this.
  2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I care. I try and avoid as many as I can, but I'm not obsessive about it. I just don't eat heaps of processed food anymore.

Orange juice has a natural preservative in it.. ascorbic acid. Preservative number 330.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's not just uneducated people. The TL;DR of the news article was that journalists have been misrepresenting what he is saying and making him look bad to sell papers. One quick example, the story showed headlines where they claimed Pete said "don't use sunscreen", which is nonsense. They then cut to Pete applying sunscreen to himself and his kids, saying "I never said don't use sunscreen". It's pretty bad.

Nutritionists get stuck into him too, claiming he is irresponsibly telling people to eat too much meat. Then I turn on the tv to his Paleo cooking show and he made two vegetarian dishes in a row. The claims against him just don't stack up to reality in my opinion.

I don't have a problem with him. It's very easy to check out his claims with a quick search of pubmed. People should do that with doctors too. Pretty easy to disprove some of their claims with a quick search of the literature ;)

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Of course cavemen ate carbs.. yams, fruit (seasonal) , veges.. all full of carbs. This is just nonsense pedaled by the Paleo crowd.

Red wine is thought to be beneficial due to the polyphenols in it.. not the alcohol. Stout and Guinness also have highish levels of polys.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Perthguy

There is an issue between the research and the way the research is reported in the media. Suffice to say, don't believe everything you read.

But I agree we are probably too smart for our own good. If you look at the fundamentals of a healthy lifestyle: healthy food, physical activity, adequate water, sleep and reducing stress, our modern lifestyles are so far removed from that we wouldn't even know what a healthy balanced lifestyle looks like anymore. A lot of that is food. It to so over processed, flavoured, coloured and preserved that we wouldn't know what a healthy, balanced diet even consists of. I have been making most of my food from scratch. It's cheaper, tastes much better and is more satisfying.

I do. I refuse to buy certain foods that have preservatives. For example, I can get coconut milk with or without additives and preservatives. I can buy balsamic vinegar with or without preservatives. I always buy the preservative free because neither of those products need preservatives. Vinegar in particular is a preservative so there is no reason to add preservative to it. It's ridiculous! :mad:

wylie likes this.
  6. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

95% of what I eat is cooked as close as reasonably possible from scratch (ie. I don't milk the cow, but I buy unhomogenised, etc.)
    I'm really looking forward to getting my veggie gardens up and going so I can take it even further. The taste of whole cooked food (especially home grown) just leaves anything else for dead.

There's an awesome doco series on Netflix around the processed foods and how as a western culture we need to find a new relationship with cooking.
    It's call cooked.
    Highly highly recommend.
    Cooked (TV Mini-Series 2016– ) - IMDb

Perthguy likes this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Do i dare mention vaccinations......

I briefly read an article about his interview(cant recall which outlet) and it sounded just as you said. I think he's alright. The only way you'll get attention or seek out change is to go extreme, the media is semi helping by getting people talking, now it just needs some accurate direction

Perthguy likes this.
  8. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I think it would be virtually impossible to get a 100% organic and unprocessed diet,

everything seems to have some sort of processing to it

I assume to be completely 100% unprocessed

all fruits picked off your tree, that uses no pesticide
    all meat reared yourself with its feed organic and nothing unnatural
    veges from your back yard
    pretty much no alcohol I assume,

I guess it still could be a unhealthy diet even if its completely unprocessed,

10. Perthguy

Yes! I was going to mention the quality of some of the scientific studies in my post but glossed over it because people are putting too much stock in a single study where really it is the collective body of evidence that is important.

Scientists themselves know not to attach too much significance to individual studies until their place in the much larger context of all the work taking place in that field. But too often a small study with nuance tentative findings gets blown out of all proportion when it's presented to us the lay public.

It's an epic and hilarious (and also terrifying) rant though. Love this:

We've raised the bar on entertainment by lowering the bar on what constitutes science. Our scientists at the skittles foundation for rainbow tasting have done some pioneering work. We place 37 volunteers from Tulsa Oklahoma on an all skittle diet for six weeks and guess how many were killed by baboons?

Hilarious! Thanks for posting. :)

radson likes this.
  11. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

I was chatting to my nutritionist/dietician about processing.
    She mentioned that picking a fruit off the tree and cutting it open is a form of processing.
    So really it's not about not processed - but perhaps as minimal processing as reasonable.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Perthguy

It's not all or nothing. Just because you can't have a 100% organic and unprocessed diet you shouldn't try? Cop out. ;)

There are simple things you can do to improve your diet, such as grab a piece of fruit instead or a muffin or cake, drink water instead of diet coke, have some veggies and home cooked savoury for dinner instead of a deep fried chicken and chips. :)

bob shovel, Joynz and TMNT like this.
  13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

thanks for the inspirationguys, well I did no caffeine for 5 years,

I guess I could start again today!

now to decide if I am going to do completely caffeine free or ok for outings , or cut back on diet drinks only........

for the record Im not a cafeine junky in the slightest

Marg4000 and Perthguy like this.
  14. Perthguy

I agree that pretty much all food you buy is processed. Even raw fruit and veg is processed, so your nutritionist/dietician is right about that. However, there are levels of processing from minimally processed to ultra-processed. Bananas and fruit loops are both processed, but I doubt your nutritionist/dietician would see them as nutritionally equivalent ;) I would put minimally processed in the "eat most" category and "ultra-processed" in the "eat sparingly" category.

NOVA is a food classification based on the extent and purpose of industrial food processing. This classification includes four groups:
    - 'unprocessed or minimally processed foods' (such as fresh, dry or frozen fruits or vegetables, grains, legumes, meat, fish and milk);
    - 'processed culinary ingredients' (including table sugar, oils, fats, salt, and other substances extracted from foods or from nature, and used in kitchens to make culinary preparations);
    - 'processed foods' (foods manufactured with the addition of salt or sugar or other substances of culinary use to unprocessed or minimally processed foods, such as canned food and simple breads and cheese)
    - 'ultra-processed foods' (formulations of several ingredients which, besides salt, sugar, oils and fats, include food substances not used in culinary preparations, in particular, flavours, colours, sweeteners, emulsifiers and other additives used to imitate sensorial qualities of unprocessed or minimally processed foods and their culinary preparations or to disguise undesirable qualities of the final product).

The NOVA definition of ultra processed is:

"Formulated mostly or entirely from substances derived from foods. Typically contain little or no whole foods. Durable, convenient, accessible, highly or ultra-palatable, often habit-forming. Typically not recognizable as versions of foods, although may imitate the appearance, shape and sensory qualities of foods. Many ingredients not available in retail outlets. Some ingredients directly derived from foods, such as oils, fats, flours, starches, and sugar. Others obtained by further processing of food constituents. Numerically the majority of ingredients are preservatives; stabilizers, emulsifiers, solvents, binders, bulkers; sweeteners, sensory enhancers, colors and flavors; processing aids and other additives. Bulk may come from added air or water. Micronutrients may 'fortify' the products. Most are designed to be consumed by themselves or in combination as snacks. They displace food-based freshly prepared dishes, meals. Processes include hydrogenation, hydrolysis; extruding, molding, reshaping; pre-processing by frying, baking."

Ultra-processed foods and added sugars in the US diet: evidence from a nationally representative cross-sectional study | BMJ Open
    What Makes a Food
    Is the degree of food processing and convenience linked with the nutritional quality of foods purchased by US households?

BKRinvesting likes this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It may be a habit, but it's not really an addiction. If you want to, you'll be able to stop.

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The better option out of a bad bunch me thinks

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Perhaps - "chemical intervention" is a better term??

BKRinvesting likes this.
  18. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

try switch to some stevia based drinks instead? Haven't seen anything saying the same sort of potential issues as artificial sweetenerds.

19. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Freudian slip? :p

pinkboy

20. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Got to beat up them four eyes for their candy.

158 likes this.