Sports & Fitness Adam Goodes

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by mush, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Thankyou:)

2. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Aboriginal people had the right to vote from 1850, though it's true many didn't exercise it, and they lost the right to vote in Queensland and WA in the late 1800s. http://www.aec.gov.au/indigenous/history.htm

3. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Those who don't know AFL...

Good players get booed by opposition supporters.
    Players that once played for an opposition team get booed be that opposition teams supporters.
    Players that have done things to make crowds not like them will get booed. Examples, Buckley after he wiped blood on Cameron Ling. Chris Judd after the pressure points episode, any opposition player that has physically hurt a player or been reported.

It just happens. Do you see any of these players stop playing the game due to this? No. They usually play even better.

Goodes lately has done probably 3 or 4 things that have all culminated in him being booed.
    Won a few Brownlow medals. (Best and Fairest Players in the Entire league award)
    Dobbed in a 13 year old girl for calling him a racist word during a game
    Simulated spear throwing at opposition supporters
    Was a controversial Australian of the Year.

He seems to court controversy when it suits him, but now that he's off side with so many opposition supports he packs up and stops playing.

CDL, bob shovel and D.T. like this.
  4. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

The narrowest view was taken. Legislation to regulate Commonwealth voting rights and procedures, the Commonwealth Franchise Act 1902, specifically excluded 'any aboriginal native of Australia, Asia, Africa, or the islands of the Pacific, except New Zealand' from voting unless they were actually on the roll before 1901. This meant that Indigenous people who became old enough (21 years) to vote after 1901 were denied voting rights. Electoral officials had the power to decide who was an 'aboriginal native' and who was not.
    So hardly the "Right to Vote"

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Aboriginals were granted the right to vote in 1962, but the constitution still had discriminatory provisions. These were removed as a result of a referendum on 1967.

6. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

So he is "controversial" because he points out a few inconvenient truths as Australian of the Year?

clint05 and Perp like this.
  7. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I think that the way the leftist media has responded to this entire fiasco is very dangerous to freedom of speech. Why are they so determined to label average Australians as racist? There are always a couple of idiots in any crowd and racism must never ever be tolerated, but as the son of an immigrant I can promise you that Australia is a not at all racist. I used to boo Gorden Tallis every time he came on to the field, so did a lot of people- I loved to hate him, was I racist? I mean, can we only boo white people now? Or do we spread our booing evenly among colours to ensure that nobody gets offended? Adam Goodes is disliked for the way he plays the game, and loved by some also for the way he plays. The booing was increased significantly because of the war dance he did and motioned a spear throw at the opposing crowd, this was extremely antagonistic and intended to provoke. They booed him, so what, they would have done the same thing if he was white, black, yellow or green- and they had every right to. And just on a side note, Adam Goodes was well within his rights to have that 13 year old girl marched out of that stadium. She may not have fully understood what she said, but she deserved what she got either way and if that was my daughter, I would have been ashamed. That's my 2bob.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="S.T, post: 34704, member: 16"

He seems to court controversy when it suits him, but now that he's off side with so many opposition supports he packs up and stops playing.[/QUOTE]

@S.T
    Australia's new sport blame the victim

MTR

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The media has gone so PC I felt like throwing my radio at one stage.

10. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

I think a child learns that sort of thing at home so I don't blame the child at all I would be looking at the parents.

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So an aboriginal dance is absolute taboo, but the haka is ok?

joanmc, hobo, AndrewTDP and 1 other person like this.
  12. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

You have a radio?:) What were you going to throw it at?

13. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Part of our culture.

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah radio not TV. Just throw it at the window or something. It was like listening to some kind of 1984 re-education type thing. Had the opposite effect on me. I'm less sympathetic than I was before. Some pretty base assumptions being made.

15. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

I can't help but notice that the same people who think Adam Goodes should "shrug off" being personally targeted and called an "ape", are extremely butthurt at the suggestion that some non-specifically-identified Australians might be racist.

The irony.

joanmc, hobo, clint05 and 5 others like this.
  16. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

A haka is used for so many things watch this to see a school show respect to their teacher he recently passed. Note not all students are Maori

Perp likes this.
  17. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Just make sure you throw it out the window and not thru...don't want an insurance claim.;)

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. Inov8ive

Children learn things in all types of places. When I was 13 I certainly did things that my parents would not have approved of, not sure about you? In any event she was wrong, regardless of where she learnt it.

19. Inov8ive

He wasn't doing a celebratory dance- I mean let's be honest, seriously. He was giving it to the opposing fans and they gave it back to him. Why not just call like it is? Why would he not go and dance with the Sydney supporters to celebrate? Why go to the opposition? C'mon

S.T likes this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

There are ways of getting a message across. No denying that there's still a lot of work to be done with racism and inequality. But so far he's gone for a 13 year old and a bunch of supporters. He needs to do some personal work and learn to communicate in a non-aggressive way if he's going to get any where as a leader. The blaming mentality is obvious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.