ACT ACT Suburbs Analysis - What is missing?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Yazan, 10th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Yazan

Yazan New Member

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first home / PPOR (which will be IP in the future) in Canberra after moving here for work back in June. I am getting over whelmed with how the market is going and feeling that all the research i have been doing for the past couple of months does not apply in the current seller's market.

I am looking to buy a 3BR+ house and have considered two option (new build such as in Taylor - which will cost around 900k and to be completed in a year) and established house (comes with bigger lot size and usually require some work, would be within 30min from the CBD where i work).

I have done the attached analysis to identify the best suburb to buy in by crunching the statistics related to median price ($900k and below), annual median growth, gross rental yield Income <1000 p.w, Public-housing %, 2016-2020 Population growth. However, i am still unable to narrow down my research and the current market sale results do not align with the research fundamentals.

Would you be able to advise me what i have missed in my analysis? How i can narrow down my research criteria?, What would you do if you were in my position?. Thank you all.

Attached Files:

AlexDau and djjk like this.
  2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I wouldn't stress about things like public housing as it is well spread out through most of Canberra and crime is not a big consideration. I see that North and South Canberra as well as Woden are now too pricey (I assume). I (personal preference) would be looking for suburbs that were developed between 1975 and 1985 as they offer a blend of larger lot sizes and good public amenities. I tended to prefer north west Belconnen (eg Latham, Charnwood) in the past but I feel bits of Tuggeranong are now equal pegging. I would look at the area that provides the shortest commute.

segue and djjk like this.