Acreage vs smaller block living.

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Barny, 21st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jebi6a

Jebi6a Member

Budget is decent. Came into some luck on a few investments we made way back when.

Can I ask where abouts you bought?

We have even chatted about the peaks up north and out Gippsland way/Wilsons prom.

As you can see we have a wide array of places which may seem like a good thing and we are definitely privileged for choice, but it is a tough decision where to even start sometimes. So many beautiful places.

2. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

We bought in Central Goldfields but we live in Ballarat. Ours was bought expressly to "get away from it all" & not as a PPOR either now or in the future. It's an alternate.

Another decent choice we considered was around Mansfield as Lake Eildon is close, Ski fields & Alpine region close enough to day trip & values quite reasonable considering. Fairly much anywhere to the SE, (90 degree wedge) of Melbourne will be at a premium to any other direction. If you can afford it, there are plenty of nice little communities around Yarra Valley, Gippsland & the Peninsula.

ellejay likes this.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

I'd look at Warborton - not for CG but for sheer great land, there are some great lots off Donna Buang Rd that I was looking at - but I was silly as I already have a place on the beach and could not justify.

There are a heap of elevated blocks to work with with acreage less than a $100k and a possibility to develop.

Here is one to consider!!!

9 La La Avenue Warburton Vic 3799 - Residential Land for Sale #201677622 - realestate.com.au

4. Indifference

That's not acreage & certainly not 10+ ac as per what @Jebi6a has indicated. Good luck finding a 10 ac lot near Warburton for anywhere near 100k.

P.s. actually if you can please let me know. I'll buy it.

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

That's an antique, love it.
    Thanks for the help, will do some reading and asking around first. Cheers

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I broke the slasher part this week but the tractor just keeps going. It was hubby's grandfather who had a market garden, and then his son used it on the market garden now we are using it. Family heirloom :)

One of my neighbours has a Kubota which has a number of attachments so she also has a forklift, bucket for moving dirt around, auger to do fence post holes (and tree holes) and can slash. Really handy all round beast.

The other option to consider is a quad bike with slasher attachment. Can be very handy rather than a dedicated lawn mower. I like things which can do more than one thing
    Paddock Tow Behind Flail Mower

Last edited: 12th Feb, 2017
    Barny likes this.
  7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Another great idea, never thought of this. Wonder if I can hook the slasher up to a high powered off-road go cart, that'll be fun

8. Westminster

I'm now looking for a hover craft with slasher attachement. Our road and small part of our block is in a 1 in 100 flood plain and it flooded yesterday.

River at the back which normally doesn't have trees in it:

[​IMG]

This is our road now a moat.

[​IMG]

9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Wow, you should now be good for another 99 years.

Gockie and Terry_w like this.
  10. Westminster

Totally asking for our money back as it flooded 27 years ago like this according to the neighbour :p

#totallysarcastic
    #Iknowwhat1in100means

hobo and Barny like this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Maybe it's a 1 in 100 day flood plain then... Which means you are doing extremely well and have been extremely lucky. :D

12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I remember years ago, Main Roads built a bridge on the way from Mt Isa to Cloncurry to replace an old bridge that keep being flooded (and isolating the town).

It was built at 1 in 100 year flood level. One month after the bridge was opened, it flooded.

The people of Cloncurry were NOT impressed!!! No amount of explanation would allay their anger :) :).

Westminster likes this.
  13. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Curious to know ,what are the land tax amounts needed to pay for these acreages?

14. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Land tax varies with amount over threshold depending on price .
    Rates I'm looking at 2500 for around 5 acres

Tony66 likes this.
  15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

IMG_4731.PNG IMG_4726.PNG IMG_4730.PNG IMG_4729.PNG IMG_4728.PNG IMG_4722.PNG
    Had some quotes to build a shed, 14x12 to fit 6 cars plus bench. American barn style or normal shed. My guesstimate to build was way off, all quotes fully completed are around 50k. About 20k for just the shed materials.
    I was thinking 30-35k.
    @bob shovel @Westminster @Indifference @Redwood
    these prices seem right, any thoughts? Any idea what it would cost if build by brick instead?

The concrete was a rough quote at 78sq. Anyone know what concrete per square is in Melb? 70?

I might as well build a new house and park the cars in there at this price.

Had quotes through best sheds advised best sheds are not strong and stay away, central build came recommend.

16. Indifference

@Barny yes that sounds about right to me as it works out to be just under $300 per sqm. That size shed is about 3 times bigger than your typical suburban house shed.

Barny likes this.
  17. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Wonder what it would cost to build that size in brick?

18. Westminster

That shed is 168sqm - pretty darn large!

It would cost about $100k to go brick as it needs scaffolding etc etc for a lot longer.

The height is usually what impacts price. So if you could do something with a more normal height it might be cheaper.

We ended up building an insane amount of garaging into our house at the same time - wasn't cheap but made sense to do it all together.

Barny likes this.
  19. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

If I had that option I would too, underground garage would be perfect.
    I'm seeing if I can make it slightly smaller but not sure I can, as I need a hoist.

20. Westminster

Understood. We have a double height section for a hoist as well. The "needs" of a car fanatic :)

Barny likes this.