Acerage in brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by newbie12, 29th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. newbie12

newbie12 Member

Hoping to get peoples thoughts on where to buy acerage in brisbane. Ideally looking for 5+ acres of usable land. I love brookfiled and pullenvale but very expensive for small blocks and way bigger houses than what I am after.
    Does anyone know any sites other than domain and realestate to search for acerage blocks.
    Looking for opinions on suburbs that I can consider, looking to stay withing about 40 minutes from CBD

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Whats your budget?

Burbank and surrounding areas have some large 5 acres block. I grew up in Burbank on 5 1/2 acres and would be about 20 mins off peak to the city (maybe 25 mins now due to population of Brisbane growing) but in peak was about 40-50 mins.

Good thing also about Burbank was it was still in BCC zoning.

kierank and Pumpkin like this.
  3. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

Brookfield and Pullenvale are traditionally the more expensive acreage areas of Brisbane (sort of like a Dural if you are from Sydney). Further out near that area arenplaces like Anstead & Mt Crosby which are cheaper. Other areas of Brisbane within the desired commuting time would be eastside near the bay like Burbank, Sheldon, Gumdale, Mt Cotton - but some of these areas can also be expensive. Northwest you got Samford and surrounds (personally my favourite acreage area - close to Brisbane but has a village atmosphere). To go cheaper, need to be further out south, north or west. Probably further south has the best opportunities e.g. Jimboomba (but it's not 40 minutes from Brisbane but much much cheaper), or you can go further west out past Ipswich (e.g. Rosewood, Laidley, Fernvale etc). Apart from the normal websites, best to track down local agents in the desired areas look at their websites and talk to them.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. newbie12

newbie12 Member

Cheaper the better really, but hoping to stay around 600 but will go up to 700 if need be. The goal is really as much good land as possible as close as possible but don't want to have a neighbour right next to my house. I haven't looked at burbank but will check them out. Have been looking at anstead and Mt Crosby, finding a lot of acerage might be 5 acres + but only has 2 acres usable land and the rest protected treed area no use to me. Ideally want enough space to bring a horse or two up

5. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

I have friends in Anstead with horses. Try Samford area then, but realistically you may need to go further south or west.

6. newbie12

newbie12 Member

From having a bit of a look the past month or so, will probably end up increasing my budget another 100K or so and expanding search to vacant blocks as well. Anyone know what west is like for public transport, can always drive into the city for work as my hours are quite flexible worst case

7. Big Will

Getting 5 acres+ for that budget will be tough with your criteria, unless you are talking about vacant land and you might be doable.

If you were looking for a 1 acre block you might have a bit more choice for your budget and the criteria you are after.

Sackie and Ed Barton like this.
  8. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

I saw a nice block in Draper (just past Samford) over the weekend. It was 7 ac or so and was under $450k. I've been looking at the possibility of moving a house onto a site - there are always plenty of houses for free (to be moved off future development sites) with the buyer to pay costs.

You could even look out as far as Dayboro, over the 40 minute mark, but only just!
    Disclaimer... travel was on a Sunday and very off peak times.

Ricflair likes this.
  9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

There's not much helicopter traffic on a Sunday.

10. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

The only problem about bringing the R44 into the city, is trying to find a decent spot to bring her down. The RPA got a little annoyed last time I used their pad. BTW, how did you know that we had a helicopter?

11. newbie12

newbie12 Member

I probably should have mentioned that 40 minutes doesn't need to be during peak time. I am generally starting work just after 6 and leaving early around 3/330. So should avoid the worst of the traffic and can either just drive straight to gym and do my workout of an afternoon to push me out of peak traffic times if required

Icarus likes this.
  12. newbie12

newbie12 Member

Anyone spent anytime near mundoluun, found a nice horse property already setup there. Little bit further out then I originally wanted to go is the only problem.

13. Ricflair

Ricflair Well-Known Member

+1 Dayboro is where is was going to suggest saw someone beat me to it.

Icarus likes this.
  14. Big Will

Are you wanting any infrastructure or was it just a house (or even just land).

29 Upfield Street Burbank Qld 4156 - Residential Land for Sale #200918131 - realestate.com.au - Land probably be towards the higher end of budget.

Sheldon address available on request - Residential Land for Sale #202010226 - realestate.com.au - nearly 9 acres at the lower end of your budget - asking overs over 599k - Has power lines running through it

As for getting 5 acres with a house with your budget of 600-700k with your criteria is going to be very difficult - something will need to give... Could be land size (1 acre?), be land and build a house, increase travel time or budget needs to increase.

Comparing Dayboro to Burbank it is double the distance in travel time and you would never get to the city in 40 mins except by helicopter. The price out there for a house and land you are still looking 800k-1M.

15. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Bunya?

16. newbie12

newbie12 Member

Would prefer infrastructure as it is generally cheaper to buy something already built than to start from scratch but have expanded to look at vacant land now. Have found a few more blocks since expanding the criteria so it is looking more doable now which is promising. Brookfield will have to wait for the great crash :D

17. newbie12

newbie12 Member

1 acre would make things very easily doable. can pick up blocks with houses on for under 400 in karana downs and vacant blocks with 2-3 acres in brookfield for under 500. It's probably a smarter move to spend a bit more and build something in brookfield on one of the vacant lots but this place is more about finding the right place to live rather than making money

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Samford and surrounds - drive to Ferny Grove then train into city.

Eatons Hill has acreage land with established houses but usually smaller lots and not as many cleared plots as Samford. Going north, you will get that budget in Burpengary (last time i looked) but not the travel time, it is about 45 minutes by train from Petrie to Central. Burpengary is a bit further than Petrie.

19. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Pretty villages west of Ipswich e.g. Rosewood?

20. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Keeping horses on 1 acre is going to be a challenge though, unless you are going to be running a dust paddock and feeding rounds entirely