Accountant query

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by aceyuko, 11th Jan, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aceyuko

aceyuko Member

Hi all,
    I am tossing up which accountant I should move to now that I am earning a trading income in the US market. my current accountant looks very confused when I talk to him about options & CFds and somewhat negitive on company /trust structure so I think its time to upgrade.

Can anyone recommend through experience either of these 2 firms
    Charts Partners in Brisbane
    or
    Tangeable Assetts in Sydney

Any comments positive or negitive are as always greatly appreciated.

2. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

I would go with Charts Partners in Brisbane

I have dealt with clients who have previously used Tangible Assets and apparently the level of service didn't stack up with the fees they charged - which is not to say TA didn't provide good advice - it is simply an opinion.

Otherwise look at Sims Crawford Elliott in Highgate Hill / West End - talk to David Elliott.

Hope this helps :)

3. aceyuko

aceyuko Member

Thanks for the opinions Superman.
    TA offers complete financial services including financial advice and morgage services
    Charts offers accounting services only.
    I spoke to a financial advisor and their sevices range upto $10000 which I cant see value in.
    What do you think of FAs are they worth it?

4. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Hhmmmm,

"financial advisor" is a relatively broad title. I believe that everyone should go through the financial planning process with a competent and qualified financial planner at least once in their life.

Preferably someone who has followed their own advice and is financially independent (or close to it) as a result.

The obvious thing is that it is extremely difficult to find someone like that.

Based on the information you provided, you need an accountant who can do the following:

- provide advice on the most suitable structure for your trading
    - taxation advice
    - preparation of the relative tax returns

Chart or SCE should be able to do that.

You will only need a financial planner if you want to take some capital and diversify away from your options / CFDs.

I hope this answers your questions.

SM

5. aceyuko

aceyuko Member

Thanks again Superman I think I may be getting caught up in some of the hype.

6. jellybean

jellybean Member

Looking high and low for a Trust/tax accountant

Hi,

I live in a small red dust town in WA. I am looking for an accountant - that's knows not only what a Trust fund (possibly family trust) is but how to structure it. Without charging me an arm and a leg for the first meeting.

Any recommendations for Perth? (need to be able to contact via phone and email too). As I probably can't get to there office.

Thanks.

7. InvestorK33P

InvestorK33P New Member

There is a very good accountant by the name of Elvis Kovacic. I can recommend him as I have utilised him in the past and is very good. Have not heard of the firms you mention. Elvis is a chartered accountant and he is quite good on fees.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF