Accountability Partner - Anybody want to work together?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ace in the Hole, 5th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I've been struggling a bit lately to self motivate some areas of my life, specifically keeping my administration type work in order and up to date. Stuff like emails in general, property maintenance requests, tax issues, all types of paperwork, etc. It's almost like a part time job for me as we've got a reasonable size property portfolio and quite complicated structures and I always procrastinate and have never been organised in this area. I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to stop avoiding doing what I should be doing.

I know there are fee based accountability/coaching websites, apps available, as I've used one before.
    However, I was wondering if anybody else was at a similar position needing some motivation/accountability in some areas of their life, then maybe we can do a swap service.

I'm experienced with physical fitness, exercise, nutrition, business, property, and some other general stuff.

Let's help each other out.
    Otherwise, does anybody know of a similar service already established?

2. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Tim Ferris in his book "4 Hr Work Week" talks about using 'virtual assistants' - like personal assistants, up to degree educated people. They are from overseas though - one of them was something like "My man in India". Is this what you are looking for?

Terry_w and Ace in the Hole like this.
  3. Ace in the Hole

Not exactly.
    I want to do the work myself but find it difficult to motivate myself to get it done and keep it up to date.
    I have used a service about one year ago when I was having some motivation with exercise adherence - Coach.me but I've got that under control now.
    But after a while it didn't quite feel right because I already knew what I had to do and the "coach" knew that I knew what I had to do....

I could try that again but think a swap service will feel a lot more meaningful from reciprocation if there is such a thing.

4. Lauren350

Lauren350 Active Member

I feel exactly the same! I find I spend more time writing to-do lists & procrastinating than actually getting stuff done. I definitely seem to get more done when there is a deadline to meet, but if there is no deadline I just keep delaying.
    My portfolio is only small in comparison, so probably not much help, but one thing I’ve found helpful is to set myself mini deadlines of 1 hour ... and in that hour I focus solely on one task/area. Ie dont even stop for a coffee.

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Procrastination is a strange thing.
    I keep putting off non-urgent matters and it kind of feels like I'm waiting for something to go wrong or something that needs urgent attention before I act.
    I feel that I'm good at resolving problems and getting out of trouble as that it all I did most of the time when I was in business for 12 years, but I don't want it to be like that.
    It's almost like I want to bring unnecessary challenges upon myself so that I can then resolve them.

Lauren350 likes this.
  6. Lauren350

Lauren350 Active Member

So true! Feels like constantly putting out spot fires that could have been avoided in the first place or taken much less time to resolve if addressed earlier.
    I also feel I work best to a set routine ...which is almost impossible due to working shift work.

7. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Its an interesting challenge. I think for most of my career I've been in operational jobs where you are constantly fighting fires, so in scenarios where stuff isn't super critical to operations or urgent, I don't give it much attention. I'm trying to learn to change from a reactionary approach to proactive, and manage my time better. It is not easy though.

like doing my tax for instance. I was super keen to do it immediately after EOFY, but then I was waiting on some items and whatnot, and now it is not immediately after EOFY, so the pressure feels like it is off and I'm dragging my feet.

Cheers,
    Inertia