Access to TICA

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ferris, 15th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ferris

Ferris New Member

After some research I know that there are two primary tenant database services in use, NTD and TICA. They do not share data, so to be thorough you should check both. At the very least, the advice goes, you should check the DB that is prevalent in your state. Apparently in Queensland TICA is the most popular.

There are a multitude of services where a self-managing landlord can access NTD for a small fee. But I can't find anyone who'll sell a TICA search.

Can I obtain ad hoc TICA searches from anywhere?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not everything in this world is free, especially where privacy is involved. A third party has no defined business need to access another person's tica record however you may have a need at a self-managing owner.

Set yourself up at a member - linky

wylie likes this.
  3. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Thanks Scott. I definitely don't want free. A $220 subscription with a batch of 10 searches is excess to my needs.

There are plenty of agencies that will sell you a single NTD search for around $15-$20. There seems to be no such service for TICA.

4. Ferris

Ferris New Member

I checked conditions of TICA membership and it seems that nobody acts as an agency for access to them because it's against their rules.

Additionally, I've just learnt that the only way data could be on TICA and not NTD is if a lease has ended and there's not enough bond to pay for all the oustandings and the tenant hasn't paid up and the property manager went to the tribunal for permission to add them to the database. In almost all cases, the underlying data in TICA and NTD will be the same.

So, that makes the decision easier. NTD it is!

5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

There was a change of rules recently with TICA, you can now only legally list for;

- Amounts including but not exclusive to rent that are above and beyond the bond certified with a tribunal order.
    - Rent -and only rent- in excess of the bond (no tribunal order necessary).
    - Abandonment certified with a tribunal order.

I note that most Property Managers don't go to court before listing on TICA, particularly as the vast majority are unaware of the changes requiring the tribunal order for almost all situations.

NTD isn't very popular at all here in QLD, I'd definitely be doing a TICA check if you can.

Chivaun.Shortis likes this.
  6. Jeff Ang

Jeff Ang New Member

Good morning everyone,

An interesting take on Tenancy Databases and the regulations under which we apparently operate.

Jeff Ang is my name. I am the General Manager of TICA Default Tenancy Control Pty Ltd.

It would be an understatement to say that Tenancy Legislation is forever making changes, additions or amendments.

But whose responsibility is it to implement these changes from a Tenancy Database perspective?

The answer is simple: We are. And by ‘We’ I mean: TICA, Tenancy Database companies, Landlords, Real Estate Agents, Residential Unit Managers….anyone who is involved in the leasing of a premises!

We (collectively) are required by law to ensure that we implement any/all changes made to respective state tenancy legislation into their business.

Do I particularly like these changes/amendments to legislation when it appears to be in favour of bad tenants? Not entirely if I am to be honest.

For over 25 years, TICA has fought and continues to fight for the rights of Landlords and Real Estate Agents. TICA was built for the sole purpose of giving Landlords and Real Estate Agents an opportunity to ensure that prospective tenants abide by their rental agreements or face the legal ramifications.

In Australia, TICA operates across all states and Territories. Therefore, we are required ensure that each states Legislative requirements are ‘built in’ to our system.

We are governed by the following Legislative Acts:

New South Wales: Residential Tenancies Act 2010
    Queensland: Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008
    Western Australia: Residential Tenancies Act 1987
    Australian Capital Territory: Residential Tenancies Act 1997
    South Australia: Residential Tenancies Act 1995
    Northern Territory: NT Residential Tenancies Act
    Tasmania: Residential Tenancies Act 1997
    Victoria: Residential Tenancies Act 1997

Now, to refer to the points raised in the forum.

And I will refer to these point by way of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) format:

1. Q. Does TICA offer Ad-Hoc/ “one off” searches?
      A. TICA does not offer “one off” searches. However, we do offer a membership which is ideal for self-managing landlords. The cost is $220, and you receive your first 10 searches.
    The searches do not expire for as long as you renew your membership each year for $55. Once you have used your searches, you are then able to purchase more searches if and when you need them.

1. Q. Does TICA make up its own rules when it comes to defaulting/listing a tenant on the database?
      A. No. TICA MUST adhere to legislative guidelines and operate accordingly. This means that all TICA members must declare that they meet all the legal requirements, as stipulated by the respective State Residential Tenancies Act, to default that individual.
    For example:

In Queensland under section 459 of the Queensland Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008

459 – Restriction on list:

(1) A person must not list personal information about another person in a tenancy database unless—

(a) the other person was named as a tenant in a residential tenancy agreement; and

(b) the agreement has ended; and

(c) there is a reason prescribed under a regulation for listing the information; and

(d) the tribunal has not made an order under section 245(6) prohibiting the listing of the information.

Only when the above the requirements are met, can the information be placed on a tenancy database (TICA). Tenancy Database companies who hold inaccurate, incomplete, ambiguous or out of date information about an individual are legally required to remove the information. Heavy penalties exist for those companies who fail to remove such information within a specified time frame.

Thanks!

Jeff Ang
    General Manager - TICA

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Oct, 2017
  7. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

What he said :)

Jeff Ang and Tom Rivera like this.