accepted an offer then higher one came in

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Keen novice, 22nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

All the above and get a signed 66w, so there's no pulling out.

Sackie likes this.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

This. & why not let the first potential buyer know there is another being considered so they have the opportunity to match/beat the second?

3. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Agreed. Selling nor buying is about a warm and fuzzy feeling. It is business. The highest bidder wins.

4. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Hmm. Legally perhaps but in business I am a firm believer in doing the right thing. I always try to stay true to my word. Tough choice to make on this issue.

Lizzie likes this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Me too.
    But until they have the signature, they don't have the first buyer either.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I understand how this would be tough, but really, as a buyer, I'd never reveal my price to an agent until I'm sitting with a contract in front of me and a pen in hand.

Even then, until the vendor signs, it is not a contract. As the vendor, I would struggle with the morality of saying "I'll sell to you for $xx" but then, I wouldn't be saying that. I'd be signing the contract in front of me.

As a buyer, if an agent has my signed contract and has someone else want to put pen to paper, then I would expect that agent to tell me and allow me to put in my best offer and not use my contract as bait. We should both have an opportunity to put our best offer onto a contract and allow the vendor to choose.

If an agent does that, and makes it clear, then he/she should stick with it and let the vendor choose which offer is better suited (price, conditions etc).

I've been in that situation where we were one of five offers going in. We offered over the asking price and got the house. One of the other potential purchasers tried for several hours to have their contract accepted, brought in their solicitor.

We'd not heard back for nearly four hours after he was taking all contracts to the vendor so we had no idea if we got the house or not. If the agent had not been honest, he could easily have told us we missed out. He was honest and we got the house.

Connor and Keen novice like this.
  7. Keen novice

Keen novice Member

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. After trying to establish the conditions and situation of the people who made the second offer, they pulled out because they didn't want to answer any of the questions agent put forward... so original offer is going ahead!

8. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

If nothing signed then it is just that..nothing. Need to see that signature with the offer. As it is I would go for the higher offer however I would suss them out first to see who is the most genuine.
    The one that is "unconditional" and not "subject to" would get my vote. Happened to us just recently where we took the highest offer as the first one was not in writing...not sure what they were waiting for ? We did give them a week !

Keen novice likes this.
  9. WesternRat

WesternRat Active Member

so is verbal binding in WA/SA without a signature? what is the difference?

(sorry, just wanted to know as no idea about other states other than WA)

10. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

I'm confused as to how this has even happened with no paperwork.

When I've made offers on places its always been a bit of verbal back and forth, then you can tell its getting "real" and that its close when the agent gets it in writing with the token deposit amount. The seller then accepts by signing off their part, or counter offers and you accept by signing off.

Is it common in other states outside of QLD to do it all verbal until final signing?

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

First to sign, pay and exchange has the property as long as they do not excercise 5 day cooling off right in NSW.

12. wylie

Isn't there a fair bit of verbal negotiation before going to contract though in NSW? During which time you can be gazumped? I know an agent who moved from Queensland to NSW and found it quite different and very frustrating.

13. Agent99

my offers have all been on a contract thrust in front of me by eager agents duly signed then generally waited a day or two for vendors to make up their minds. if they didn't accept then I moved on.

14. Agent99

Been gazumped in QLD by the developer who had a higher offer however he then offered another property which in hindsight was probably better than the gazumped

Gockie likes this.
  15. wylie

How can you be gazumped if there is a contract signed by both parties?

16. Agent99

It wasnt signed by the developer. We had signed a contract to buy and was then given to developer to sign. I have never seen a contract with vendors signature on it it first..I wish !

17. wylie

Well, that isn't a completed contract then. I thought you were saying he somehow wriggled out of honouring a contract signed by both of you. And that is why I never like to wait overnight for a vendor's signature. Anything can (and does) happen overnight.

18. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Verbal doesn't mean anything until a contract is signed and deposit paid.

If both are unconditional offers ask for a deposit on both and see which ones goes through with it.

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Depends, can be the same as QLD, or QLD can be the same as NSW, generally the solicitors do the exchange in NSW, prior to that you can do verbal, written or signed contract. An agent can probably do the exchange, but if your paying solicitors they will likely be doing this.

It works ok, but you could be bumped if no exchange, I had a vendor and agent & solicitor doing exactly this recently, they were delaying to see if another better offer came along, usually the agent is trying to sew up the deal, if you sign the contract and leave a deposit, it would be unusual to not then exchange as most vendors probably get talked into signing by the agent or are wanting the sale anyway, so it would happen probably same or next day if local vendor.

I do prefer if the solicitors do it, because usually they are at arms length, and once they have both been notified to act, there may be some resistance if vendor/agent tried to play games at that point, they also allow review/change of contract terms possibly before exchanging (if parties agree of course)

During the offer stage, however it is being done, is not really any different to QLD.

20. Agent99

Im not sure how you got that from my post. In all cases as a buyer we have been presented with an unsigned contract of sale, we have duly signed and then sent to developer/vendor to sign. Sometimes this can take a week even longer if the other party is interstate or overseas. In that particular case where we were gazumped it took 12 working days to get an answer back from the vendor. This used to happen quite regularly in the early 2000 in QLD.