Abandoned CARS in Apartment visitors car park

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by clicli, 25th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. clicli

clicli Member

I live in an apartment complex and there are 8 visitors car park as part of the strata title. There are two abandoned cars parked in the bays for more than a year. We've reported this to the Body Corp manager and he said nothing can be done?

What can we do? Go to the police?

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Surely you can get it towed away?

3. clicli

clicli Member

can we get the cars towed away? That's why I'm asking. Is that legal?

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Put up signs saying cars over a week (or what you decide) will be towed.

I'd report them to the police, they should give you some guidance at the least.

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Get the strata manager to send emails to both owners and renters. Warning that if no one claim the car after x date, they will be towed away. I reckon also check you bylaws and council and police

clicli likes this.
  6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've noticed that obviously abandoned cars where I live get a sticker from the council placed on them as a notice of abandonment. After a period of time the car is removed. Reading the notice I've assumed the council puts it there as a warning and after some time they take care of it.

I've also had a car stollen by some kids wanting to get home without money for public transport. I reported the theft to the police and the car was recovered after someone reported an abandoned car in their neighbourhood 2 days later.

Report the vehicle (with registration) to the local council or the police. There's a good chance you'll be helping someone recover their property.

JacM and EN710 like this.
  7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Strata should notify via a letter on the car that unless moved on they will be towed by a certain number of days. Normally all lot owners and occupants receive a copy of the same letter in case it is theirs.

Then when the date passes, a tow truck is called to move the cars to council property and they become councils problem to move.

Unfortunately the strata plan bears the cost.

Check with the police to see if they have been stolen. You might be lucky.

Russ and EN710 like this.
  8. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Body corporate should put out a notice on the vehicle and around the complex asking that the owner of the vehicle move it, otherwise it will be towed. At the end of the period, if it's a bomb body corp should organise a tow truck to take it away FOR FREE; no charge. They then sell it for scrap metal.

If it's a good vehicle, the owner of the car space or the body corp need to contact the police, who will attempt to contact the owner. If they cannot contact the owner, it's left up to you. Tow trucks may not want to touch the vehicle or put their finger prints on it in case it's stolen. All reasonable steps must be taken to locate the owner. After all reasonable steps are taken, you have to follow the abandoned goods legislation in your state or territory.

9. BigKahuna

Also, there is the question of where to leave it if you tow it. Do you leave it on the street? It's actually illegal to leave a vehicle on the street. But here in Canberra we have no other option. It gets put on the street and then the rangers come and place a sticker on it. If it's not driven away within a week, the rangers come back and take it away.

10. Chilliblue

Have just gone through this process as part of a major strata plan clean up on a commercial site and what I wrote was what our strata solicitor advised the client.

Just for the record @BigKahuna no legitimate towing company will tow away a dumped vehicle for free as they have no claim to ownership.

Russ likes this.
  11. BigKahuna

Neither does a 'legitimate' towing company have a claim to ownership. That's why some simply refuse to touch it and won't put their finger prints on it.

There are towing companies who will do it for free (body corporate I know uses them), keeping in mind they will sell the car for scrap metal. That's why I prefaced my following comment with 'If it's a good vehicle'.

Last edited: 25th Feb, 2016
  12. BigKahuna

13. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Call a tow truck company. Most will be happy to make the car(s) disappear. At the least they will tow it to the street and then you can call the council to have it taken away as an abanded vehicle.

BigKahuna likes this.
  14. Chilliblue

You better have the, clarify when they will do it free because I can assure you no legal ownership, no disposal.

Russ likes this.
  15. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

English?

I can assure you most tow trucks will get rid of a car.

BigKahuna likes this.
  16. Chilliblue

Agree but a company will not waiver the towing fee because they will sell the car for scrap because they simply have no ownership.

Possession does not grant ownership.

Russ likes this.
  17. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

go jacks, roll it onto council property then in a month report it to them to solve ....

BigKahuna and Sonamic like this.
  18. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

^^^ agree, Late at night move the cars onto council property ie the street, footpath etc and let council worry about it, hehe.

BigKahuna likes this.
  20. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member