A tool i have found very useful

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Automatic call recorder on phone. When your talking to tradies, consultants, PM etc etc and they sometimes like to talk real fast or use lingo your not 100% sure of at the time so it can go over your head. Or they are explaining a process you need to do and their mouthing it off at 100 miles an hour expecting you to get it all down. yeah right.

So all my calls are recorded automatically from an App in Samsung galaxy. Can play back and listen to, etc then delete. Don't know about the legality of it all but common, use common sense, just delete it when your done and don't do anything stupid.

Anyway I have found it useful, others might too.

Esh, teg499, Toon and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Great tool especially if you are on the road.

If you do not have approval recorded from the other party, I believe that the recording cannot be used as evidence. Terry is probably the better person to advise.

3. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

I have been using them for a while but find that some calls record in slow motion and using other software to speed the playback up doesn't work.
    I have tried over a dozen different versions from the play store and haven't found a solution.

I have asked the slow talkers what phone they use and it has always been iphone users, I kid you not. :p

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Have you tried Automatic Call recorder?

5. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

Yup I have it, I love telling people who say to me your being recorded for quality and assurance purpose that " so are you". They go "oh really? ok then"

hahah.

pianissimo, Kael, Esh and 2 others like this.
  6. Tom Howes

Tom Howes Active Member

The relevant law is the Commonwealth Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979.http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/taaa1979410/

Secns 5,6, & 7 pretty well cover it. There are some exclusions and exceptions listed, eg police with a lawful warrant, and there are lots of definitions, but basically this is what applies to well over 95% of us --

7(1) A person shall not:
    (a) intercept;
    (b) authorize, suffer or permit another person to intercept; or
    (c) do any act or thing that will enable him or her or another person to intercept
    … a communication passing over a telecommunications system.

“Intercept” is defined as -- listen to or record without a party’s knowledge.

State legislation allows the secret recording of a conversation by one party to it without the knowledge of other parties, but only in certain circumstances, and these vary from State to State. In NSW, there is a “reasonable legal interest” requirement that must be met, and in ALL cases, State law does not, I repeat, does NOT authorise the secret recording of ANY telephone conversations without the knowledge of all parties.

If you intend to routinely use a call recording app, then you must warn the other party each time it’s being recorded right at the start.

S.T and Terry_w like this.
  7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Completely agree with this - its generally unlawful to audio record someone without their permission.

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Good to know mate. thanks.

9. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

10. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Be careful using this, because its against NSW LAw and a Criminal offence if the other party complains you recorded them without their knowledge.

Yes the Cops do come to your house they then say there has been a complaint and a ask to look at your phone .
    Lucky i had deletred the call that was the complainants call.

I wont get into how i know this but if you do do this make sure you delete after listening and not having a bunch of calls still sitting in your phone.

Last edited: 28th Jul, 2015
  11. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Great idea,

If anyone can recommend a apple store app would be great. :)

Arnel

12. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

It is legal in Victoria so long as you are a party to the conversation and you do not disclose the contents of that conversation to a third party. Also, the device must be considered to fall outside the 'communication passing over a telecommunications device" provision in he Federal Act. So if it was a dictaphone or tape recorder held up to the iphone it would be okay. It gets complicated if you are using an app as it is software within the phone. However I'd feel safe using it: thanks to that complexity I doubt you would be prosecuted so long as you are sensible.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/sda1999210/s6.html

And, if you're interested, despite all of this the rules of evidence will allow you to use the recording in certain circumstances. For example, if the police illegally tapped your phone call, where you admitted to murdering 15 people, that evidence will still probably be admissible.

But I'm not a lawyer so ignore everything I posted.

Last edited: 28th Jul, 2015
  13. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

can anyone recommend a good one to download? theres like 10+

14. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

do you have to not only pay for the app but then pay "credit" to use the service? :s