Sports & Fitness A-League Thread

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by aussieshorter, 7th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We were members when Dwight " all night " Yorke was playing for FC . Only did one good thing in the whole season which was scoring the winning goal in the Grand final , so it was worthwhile , sort of

I clearly remember him getting the ball in the middle of the field , passing to the sideline ( no players withing 20 mtrs ) and shaking his head ...

So did everyone watching .....

He was responsible for bling , but that was about it .Apparently the Sydney night club scene did well while he was here .

Good game by roar tonight . Great to see John Aloisi off to a winning start .

Cliff

2. Rumplestiltskin

Rumplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Shearer was really a finisher, very good in the air, didn't have the creative edge but he was strong in the box and a gentleman with it.
    I think Sterling is overrated, he's speedy but if he can't find something beyond that, he's going to struggle in his development.
    Henrik Larrson and Thierry Henry are 2 of the best I've seen in recent times, both carrying their teams far beyond their real expectations.

3. Rumplestiltskin

Rumplestiltskin Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention Didier Drogba, a wonderful talent who had everything, saved Chelsea so many times and they would not have had half the success without him.

4. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

Dwight was great for the league and for Sydney as a high profile player and contributed in that sense. On the footballing side he was a bit of a let down. There have been a few marquee players like that (William Gallas is another), but I suppose you could argue that's the point to a degree.

Thankfully it seems those days are coming to an end and clubs are recruiting players for the contribution they'll make on the field. The current list of foreign marquees includes players of proven quality (Broich, Carrusca, Koren, Berisha) and new players this year who on paper look to be great pickups (Castro, Holosko, Piovaccari).

5. aussieshorter

Great start to the season for Brisbane, getting a win away from home against Western Sydney. Maclaran got two goals on his debut and at only 22 has the potential to have a great season.

The new Spanish recruit Corona looks to be a quality player.

I'm looking forward to the opening game tonight between Adelaide and Victory. Good chance of a physical game and a red card or two. I'd love to see Berisha sent off the traitor...;)

6. aussieshorter

Not many would have picked Brisbane, Central Coast and Newcastle to all win their opening games!

7. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Agree.

8. RandR

RandR Member

Brisbane roar member here! Been very pleased with how the team have been playing so far this season. A very likeable bunch of guys and pretty happy with the players thay John Aloisi has brought in. I think the real test will be when we come up against Melbourne Victory and play Sydney Fc again. We've had a good start to the season and gotten through the first set of rounds looking good. Wait and see if we can keep the results coming in the next month or two though. I've got a feeling that our form may start to fade a bit... but I wasn't expecting a lot this season so just happy to be enjoying some good football.

9. Wandercro

Wandercro Well-Known Member

What are people's thoughts on this weekends protests?

10. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

The walkout at the Victory game was interesting wasn't it? :eek:

11. Wandercro

RBB did the same today. Wonder if the FFA will take any notice. Bozza also made a plea to the FFA to take action stating the fans don't need football but football needs fans! I guess time will tell, but from what I've read the protests will continue until the FFA fix their ban policy, at least in regards to appeals.

12. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Bozza was about to cry from frustration!

13. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Just joined the forum. I'm a massive WSW fan and am keen to get some good a - league discussion and banter going in this thread. I'm quite happy with my teams current position on the ladder but every game is critical now, not much separating the top few teams. Brisbane away next week will be massive!

14. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Roar to get back to winning ways next week.

15. aussieshorter

I'm looking forward to Friday night's game, but don't have a lot of confidence in Brisbane at the moment. I think we'll continue to struggle for the rest of the season.

16. Wandercro

I'm also a WSW fan. Like you I like were we are on the table, but honestly don't think we are playing that greatly. I think Adelaide is the team to beat. Friday night agains Brisbane will also be a good test as they are coming off some bad losses. Seems to be falling apart for Aloisi.

RenegadeDom likes this.
  17. RenegadeDom

We're not playing that great but we are still winning games which is what you need to do to win the title. I'm hoping Brisbane doesn't bounce back against us, which is normally the trend with teams. Adelaide at home in a couple of weeks will be interesting and hopefully the crowd gets the boys over the line, that game will probably decide the premiership. You a member?

18. ADLInvestor

ADLInvestor Well-Known Member

Massive Adelaide fan over here. We've been playing really well the last 3 odd months, and played alright against Brisbane last weekend. As always, if we make finals, it'll come down to our mental toughness, which we always lack.

WSW looks the goods, and Melbourne City i thought did as well, but they seem to be all over the place the last few games.

19. Wandercro

Yeah I'm a member, Bay 64, Eastern Terrace, you?

20. RenegadeDom

Yeah back row of Bay 50, but I'm usually back row of Bay 49 with my mates, under the "Topor Standley" sign. Next couple of years will be interesting with the stadium upgrade.