VIC $900k-1.2m to spend in Inner West/North West. Looking for personal suburb 'reviews'.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rodgers Dodgers, 12th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rodgers Dodgers

Rodgers Dodgers New Member

Looking for advice on which suburbs I should be seriously considering in the Inner West (Seddon, Yarraville, Footscray etc) and in the North West (Flemington, Ascot Vale, Kensington etc). Obviously I can just look at a map and then find properties in those areas, but I'm more looking for personal 'reviews' of these areas. Which do you like from here and WHY? I would love to see as many opinions as possible, hopefully backed by personal experience of having lived in these areas.
    In particular, if any one has any experience with what it is like living around the community housing in Ascot Vale I'd love to hear that, but anything you'd like to share about this broad area (West/North West) would be awesome!
    Personally, I really like Seddon and Yarraville for their 'town centers'. Pretty low key, good amount of gift shops and cafes/bars that are mostly pretty trendy and great places to hang out in. I also like how 'un-metro' they feel, while still being very close to the city. But on the other hand, I like Ascot Vale for its slightly more 'Inner North' feel. Trams + 1 long main strip contribute to this. Good proximity to parks, the river and only 2 suburbs from Parkville. I have never lived in this area though so I'd like to hear from anyone that has.

Big_Apple likes this.
  2. dvt8

dvt8 New Member

I'm currently in Footscray, been here for 8 years. I absolutely love it. Very multicultural, lots of new restaurants, cafes and bars opening up if that's your thing. Property prices have risen well over the years but still great value to be had.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I knew some people who lived in AV. If you are commuting to the city, the trains are useless in the mornings - they are full by the time they get there.

They said use the Mt Alex rd tram if you want to commute.

The Y-man

4. ilikecats

ilikecats New Member

We moved to West Footscray (south side) a few years ago, absolutely love the area which has a great community feel; we have made heaps of friends with other young couples. Coffee shops popping up and is still quiet enough. I cycle into the city for work in 25 mins, or drive in < 15mins.
    Previously lived in Yarraville where we would have stayed but got better value for money a little further out, lucky it's only a 5min drive. Don't think we will ever move back east again.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm.... you're sig says "Sydney"..... you're not an incursion or escapee are you?? :D

The Y-man

Muscat and Scott No Mates like this.
  6. ilikecats

ilikecats New Member

Oops never post so didn’t notice, escaped in 2018 =D

The Y-man likes this.
  7. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Also looking around Yarraville, Footscray areas, would they be ok as IP or would a house further out with more land be better value? Most under 1m have quite small land areas?

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Preston anyone???

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

10. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes This is where we are seeing growth, however curious on what people think of this property. It has a decent land component for this suburb.

12. lil85

lil85 Well-Known Member

I lived in Ascot Vale, but on the western side of epsom road. Eastern side of epsom rd closer to train station and trams. Some streets in that side is okay. But avoid being to close to the community housing. That area is rough and many houses in poor conditions

Edit: just checked out realestate.com.au, houses sold recently in the close to community housing are mostly renovated now. Wow it has changed quickly. Last time i went to that area around 3-4 years ago.

Last edited: 5th Oct, 2021
  13. ilikecats

ilikecats New Member

It's certainly on the higher end for a townhouse especially in that location. Lack of stock playing a role here. It's not Yarraville-proper (close to the Village), but near Cruikshank park, very family friendly area. The blocks are getting smaller and smaller but maybe it's the new norm..

MTR likes this.
  14. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

Hi MTR,

Be careful with Yarraville. Some parts are truck runs and there were issues of contaminated soil being unearthed in the construction of the new tunnel under the Westgate.

The best part of Yarraville is housing surrounding the village.

Big_Apple and MTR like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ok
    Thx

16. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love this property. Not sure about price but Yarraville is very expensive.

It’s a shame they didn’t build a garage, though. Also, if it’s PPOR, I’d personally hate living so close to a school.

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Apparently already have 2 interested parties

Hamish84 likes this.
  18. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

I bought in West Footscray in 2016 and it has been a great investment. It's come a long way since we bought there and even our tenants say that originally they moved there to have a bigger place but now all their friends are moving nearby because it's gentrifying.

Seddon and Yarraville around the villages are great but houses were too expensive for us at the time. I don't think $1.2m would get you much in either now.

Footscray was a bit hectic in certain areas in terms of traffic and people. The suburb changes heaps depending where you are.

We chose West Footscray because it was still close to zone 1 train stations, close to Seddon, Footscray and Barkly St, proximity to the CBD and the houses and blocks in West Footscray are generally a lot bigger. If you drive down Barkly St you've got heaps of food options, down Essex St you'll see heaps of parks, cool cafes now and then, etc.

https://www.realestate.com.au/buy/p...-1?includeSurrounding=false&source=refinement

You can still find places like this that can be renovated. Not far from Tottenham station, short drive to Seddon shops.

19. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

Back when we had zones. Those were the days :D

The Y-man and is_don_is_good like this.
  20. kmrr

kmrr Well-Known Member

i spent a few hours walking kensington earlier this year in June. I had mixed feelings. I liked its proximity to the city and there was more than enough amenity. It has some leafy streets which are probably the ones to target however i did feel like there were still a lot of shabby houses and everything seemed too close to one commission housing block or another. Going through my notes there was also an industrial zone near tennyson to avoid too.

Maybe the shabby housing is a good thing though? it may just mean the place is even more ripe for gentrification however given many of the shabby dwellings have the old style cottage (?) character to them that you would see in parts of Prahran et al. with a bit more love (and money) the place may just scrub up well..

Hamish84 likes this.