VIC 800-900k budget - Newport/Williamstown, Couburg/Preston, Rosanna/Moorabin

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Noodlesm, 12th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Have you considered Pascoe Vale South? Plenty of period deco homes on large blocks, some often going for under 800k and zoned for Strathmore. Worth a look.

2. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to help contribute to one.

As a Norlane-ite and Geelong lifelong resident, why Geelong? Can pay my mortgage working my three part time jobs, takes me 5-10 minutes to get to work (not everything revolves around Mebourne's CBD) and despite the looming closure of Fords, Cotton On quietly is amassing building after building along Separation St and is nearing 1000 people working there. The Target closure is just a stupid case of short-sighted and capital-centric management, to close their existing office to move to a more expensive area with more congested traffic. Makes sense to me.....Decentralisation is the cheapest way to avoid congestion in the capitals, and here we have re-centralisation which just flies in the face of any economic rationality.

Geelong's not going anywhere, and there will always be people who prefer to live and commute near to work and be happy to pay a moderate mortgage and enjoy life at a less stressful place.

Good on you G-Town, for a 22 y/o you are doing a brilliant job, and getting in at your age will stand you in such good stead by the time you reach an age like my ancient 48!!

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  3. CTB

CTB Member

A lot of chat about the North in here, but the Sth East is a far far better place to live imo. This is coming from a person that has worked in the North and inner west for almost a decade and lived portions up there and lived for over a decade in the Sth East, it's absolutely no contest imo.

Moorrabin isn't bad, but for the OP should be looking in around Highett, Highett boomed a few years ago and became expensive, surrounding suburbs have caught up in growth and is now pretty well priced imo. Borders blue chip suburbs like Hampton, Sandringham and Black Rock. Plenty of money has been spent in and around the station and has gentrified after the boom, yet prices haven't further accelerated. Bit of value there.

Cactus and Perthguy like this.
  4. Noodlesm

Noodlesm Active Member

Thanks Jason. Kids are only small but need to consider primary school in 2 years time hence the school zone requirement. Government school is what we prefer. We narrowed down to Newport/Williams areas due to the school ranking.

Do you have any thoughts on the growth potential and rental demand for the inner west locations?
    As we are new to Melbourne, we are not planning to over commit ourselves at start. There is a high possibility that this house/townhouse will become an investment property in the future.

5. Noodlesm

Noodlesm Active Member

Thanks. Agree, seems that north is quite debatable from reading the thread.

Interestingly that I have recently added Sandringham in my research. Will look into other suburbs that you mentioned.

Any thoughts on the rental yield at around the South Eastern area? As stated before, this place is likely to become an investment in the future.

6. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

Hi Noodlesm,

Yarraville is also an excellent area that has well regarded primary schools. I think if you decided to live in Yarraville, you'd have little trouble turning your PPOR into an IP and renting it out. Perhaps contact some agents in the area and ask to speak with the property managers. They will be able to give you a good idea as to what renters are looking for (ie exactly location within the suburb, number of bedrooms etc).

I think the inner west will continue to grow in value as access to the city by rail is excellent (15 mins from Yarraville and not much longer from Newport). Prices have risen substantially over the past year and I believe will continue to do so. Prices are currently rising in the middle and outer areas of the western suburbs.

All the best with your decision, Noodlesm,

Regards Jason.

7. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Highett, Hampton East, Cheltenham, Moorabbin (near Hwy not dfo/airport), Bentleigh east.

Good area. Most have good schools and train access. Great cafes etc and closeish to bay Brighton Hampton Sandringham Black Rock.

Others to look at are Mentone Mordialloc Parkdale which should be a little more affordable (with exception of areas close to beach) but a little further out.

8. LeeWizz

LeeWizz New Member

I am from Geelong originally mate and am a mortgage broker working with a few agents there. If you need anything answered let me know!
    Nice work on your savings by the way. :)