VIC 800-900k budget - Newport/Williamstown, Couburg/Preston, Rosanna/Moorabin

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Noodlesm, 12th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Noodlesm

Noodlesm Active Member

Hi,

Family of 5 relocating to Melbourne.
    Here are our criteria:
    • 4 bedder
    • close to public transport (preferable train)- hub and I both work in the CBD so prefer not spend too much time to commute (less than 40 mins one way) to save the time for the young family
    • Good public primary school around the area

We are not too fussed if it is a house or a townhouse and which side of the city. We have never lived in Melb but heard good things about East side.
    I suppose if we really want to move to East in the future (5 years), we can always turn this one into an investment.

Below are the suburbs we have narrowed down so far:
    • Newport/Williamstown
    • Couburg/Preston
    • Rosanna
    • Moorabin
    Any opinions or thoughts of these suburbs or other recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

I know you were looking inner, but in Melbourne, unless you go for a blue chip area it's simply not worth it to buy in an inner suburb.

Inner Melbourne (particularly the north) in no way justifies the obscene pricing. It's a different story when talking about the million dollar plus properties in places like Hawthorn and Kew, but areas such as Newport and Coburg simply don't live up to their price tags.

Try Sunbury, spend 400k and pocket the rest! There are some gorgeous areas west of the railway line, and it's only 40min to travel to the city on the Metro line. If you're set on living east of the city, Diamond Creek's a good option, but you would have to pay a little bit more. Sure you get a slightly longer commute, but you get a better lifestyle and don't have to worry about mortgage stress.

Dave3214 likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

... . buyers can not afford blue chip and this is why areas such as Coburg etc. start to move, they are affordable sort of, close proximity to the city. What is on the nose today can become fashionable tomorrow, this happens in major capital cities, just look at what happened to Redfern in Sydney once a dump, now trendy, desirable expensive area.

Triton, Fiona_85 and MikeyBallarat like this.
  4. MikeyBallarat

Fair enough, from an investment perspective you've got a great point, but as a PPOR the Coburg/Preston/Northcote/Brunswick type areas simply lack appeal. Sunshine is much more affordable, still close proximity to the city (15 minutes on a non express train), and gives you nicer housing stock and what I would consider to be a lifestyle at least as good. The aforementioned non blue chip inner areas sit in an uncanny valley where you pay solid $$$ but don't really get the lifestyle to boot - at least that's the way I see it...

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Primary residence a totally different beast, lifestyle has nothing whatsoever to do with making money sort of:)

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  6. MikeyBallarat

I grew up in Melb so clearly my views are tainted by bias! It's such a strange city...

7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

When I was looking for an IP in Melbourne I went through Rosanna and Macleod and really liked them but they were over my budget. I would not mind living near the Rosanna, Macleod or Watsonia train stations. It would be good to be near a shopping centre that is not Northlands ;)

But then I don't have kids so I know nothing about the schools.

8. urbanista

urbanista Member

Rosanna and Macleod are very nice but:
    1. High school are no good unless you get into out of zone Viewbank college
    2. 4 bedroom house is more like 1M+, definitely nothing to be found for under 900K.
    3. Consider Greensborough area which is close to Montmorency college. The school gets better every day, you can walk to Watsonia station and lots of houses under 800K

MikeyBallarat and Perthguy like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean Monty station?

Agree the area is nice (used to live there) and the train ride is exaclty 40 min :)
    Timetables - Public Transport Victoria

144 Grimshaw Street Greensborough Vic 3088 - House for Sale #123387546 - realestate.com.au
    1/133 Mountain View Road Briar Hill Vic 3088 - House for Sale #123358610 - realestate.com.au
    128 Grand Boulevard Montmorency Vic 3094 - House for Sale #123575002 - realestate.com.au

The Y-man

10. The Y-man

11. The Y-man

12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Yeah that part of reservoir Royal parade I would be careful there is triangle near strathemeron st where the housing commission flats are.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  13. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Just want to know, why Northlands is so bad? Any reason for this?

14. MikeyBallarat

Plenty of Melbourne areas have a 'Bronx' but the north is just chock full of commission. Flats, townhouses, rows and rows of houses, there's commission everywhere in the north, even in the so called nicer pricier suburbs. The commission stench only really dissipates once you get to the Hurstbridge line suburbs.

If OP likes the style of home in Reservoir then Sunshine West is a better bet. For Reservoir $$$ you may be able to get into Matthews Hill.

St Helena college has a good name- Eltham North and Diamond Creek should get you into the zone.

15. MikeyBallarat

Just looked at the linked Reservoir house-looks similar to the style of house one would buy in Norlane, though it's brick instead of weatherboard. Likely ex-commie, but looks like it was sold off a while back and well cared for by the private owners since. Late 80s/early 90s extension, giving a bit of depth to the floor plan.

16. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

How is sunshine more appealing than northcote or Brunswick.

Last edited by a moderator: 17th Sep, 2016
    Khoed792 and Pins like this.
  17. MikeyBallarat

I know plenty of hard working European Asian and African migrants though. Why don't you come on down, take a look around, who knows, you might just change your tune ;)

18. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Saying that sunshine has the same housing stock as Preston, northcote or Brunswick? Blind maybe?
    That the lifestyle is similar to those gentrified areas? Seriously?
    Yes you are correct that sunshine has more affordable housing, some areas have some period homes, evident in Albion also, but the lifestyle and feel of the suburb are far from that the OP mentioned.
    Then you go as far to say to buy in Sunbury and pocket the other 400k. Really? OP is talking about city ring suburbs and you bring up sunbury. Why? Because they opened up a heap of land in Ansett town so you can add 40 mins a day to your commute and are stuck in no mans land.
    Mate your advice is all over the joint.
    I rarely disagree with many members but I feel given OP is not from Melb your advice is way off.

Before you try to tell me otherwise.
    I'm 30.
    Grew up in oak park.
    Spent 16 years in Glenroy oak park side.
    Father lived in Tottenham (Footscray) along the freight line.
    Grandparents lived in Sunbury and goonawarra over the past 20 years.
    Know all northern/western subs like back of my hand.
    One of my IP's is in deer park and i work in Essendon, fiancé at Sunshine hospital. (Sounds like this is your life I know haha).
    You don't need to tell me to come down and have a look mate..
    I will agree with you that diamond creek is a great lifestyle suburb but as far as accessibility goes there is only one main freeway in and out, the ring road and greensborough etc are at the very end of it. So the trade off is that.

sanj likes this.
  19. urbanista

urbanista Member

No, I meant the old part of Greensborough around Elders street. It is walkable to Watsonia and kids can get into Montmorency College too.

20. urbanista

urbanista Member

St Helena is ok school but the zone is not walkable to the train station, and car parking is an absolute pain.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.