62% tax savings on deductions

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by JohnPropChat, 1st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Just remember that the extra tax deductions on negatively geared rental properties won’t affect the Div 293 tax liability.

A lot of guys salary package those costs to manage Div 293.

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

That is a neat trick. Move expenses into "Salary packaging" category rather than negative gearing.

Ross Forrester likes this.
  3. TommoAus

TommoAus Active Member

Wow, this has been quite the thread to read. I've tried to understand Division 293, but remain confused... I even called the ATO...

I'm hopeful that the wizards of this forum can provide additional context for me on a hypothetical. As I try to understand tax strategies -

Earnings:
    Salary earnt (before tax, inclusive of commission) in Fy21/22 - $266K
    Employer Super Contributions in Fy21/22 - $25K
    Rental income in Fy21/22 - $20K
    Shares: $4K

Deductions:
    Rental deductions in Fy21/22 - $20K
    Other tax deductions - $10K

Debts:
    HECs at $9K

Ok, now for the questions -

1. If a person has $40K in concessional contribution roll over. If they make a $20K contribution to their super fund and claim it as a tax deduction, will they be able to reduce their earnings by $20K and benefit from a reduction in tax owing?

2. Are they better off instead paying the HECs debt in full before tax time?

Thanks a lot

TommoAUS

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

1. What is your assessable income ? (ie income after all rental income and rental deductions).
    2. How much was contributed as concessional contributions ? This includes employer, sal sacrifice, catch up etc

3. If the sum of 1 + 2 is $250,000+ then a FURTHER 15% tax applies to the amount in 2. It will be assessed either by automatic amendmnet or later issued as a amendmnet by the ATO. All automatic.

4. The Div 293 is assessed personally. However there are two payment options
    • Paid personally this is a non-concessional contribution or
    • Paid by a release from the fund (within 60 days)
    • You can mix paying personally a release as you choose.

HELP debt has nothing to do with Div 293 at all.
    Contribution of $20K to super doesnt help Div 293. Why ? Because the $20K reduces assessable income and also increases contributions.

Paying the HELP debt may avoid the compulsory repayment if the WHOLE debt is repaid. You are merely bringing forward this paymnet. Indexing of the debt already occurred

5. TommoAus

TommoAus Active Member

Hi Paul,

Very helpful. In answer to your questions -

Assessable income
    $260K

Concessional contributions
    Employer - $25K
    Personal contribution with notice of intent to claim - $20K

I guess the question is... is it still worthwhile making personal contributions to super for a tax deduction once you are being slugged with Div 293?

6. Paul@PAS

Yes, However consider that the net tax saving is less. ie 47% less 30% = 17%. Also remember the contribution is preserved. On $10K the saving is $1700 so it is regressive.
    Q : Do you have the catch up cap that allows the extra $17.5K ? If not you also face excess contributions tax. The annual standard cap is $27500.

When I described the tax saving at 17% remember... 47% is the enhanced personal deduction benefit as a higher refund. The other 30% taxes can be paid out of the super fund if the release option is used. Think of it like two wallets. One isnt yours. But ultimately it is also your super savings

7. TommoAus

TommoAus Active Member

Ah, this is very helpful. Where as usually if one were not Div 293, it would be 47% less 15% = 32% saving?

Yes, the catch up cap is there - currently sitting at about $40K

8. Paul@PAS

yes. Otherwise 32% saving,

9. TommoAus

TommoAus Active Member

Thanks Paul -

With all your wisdom, when you find yourself in the Div 293 position, what would you do..

1. Rather than contribute the $20K to super, run the market instead
    2. Place it into super and take the immediate benefit, irrespective of div 293

10. Paul@PAS

I never answer such questions. What I do and think isnt relevant. Only personal advice can assist YOU to choose

R R likes this.
  11. TommoAus

TommoAus Active Member

I had quite a giggle at that response Paul. Honestly, thank you for covering the hypothetical. It is appreciated, a lot.

Cheers
    TommoAUS

12. Paul@PAS

;) I am often asked "what do I think". I would be concerned for what I say. You should hear what my wife thinks, of what I think.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.