600 or 900 cooktop reno to flip - Leederville

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Beachsnow, 21st Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Beachsnow

Beachsnow Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I love a 900 oven and cooktop but is it worth installing one in a reno to flip.

House is a 1928 3x1 in Leederville Perth.

Probably suitable for a professional couple or young family being only a 3x1.

Budget is being stretched with the price hikes so looking for opportunities to cut some costs but happy to spend where it is needed!

What are your thoughts?

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

If it’s a premium property / area maybe.

I know I probably wouldn’t want 900. Most of them are stand alone / elevated on little feet which means all the crap generated in the kitchen might find its way underneath. Impossible to clean. Looks slick but no thanks!

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I love a 900 but for our development we chose 750 - cheaper, and gave more bench space either side of the hob.

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Great question, and as per @wylie post, it really depends on the available surrounding bench space.
    If there's heaps spare then fine, go 900, if not 600.
    Just remember, 900 cooktop means 900 range, so additional cost X2.......

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

For a flip, just go 2nd hand - you should be able to find a 900 stove or separate cooktop/oven for $500-600 max.

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

if you go 900 go to harvey norman. Commercial not harvey norman, different beast
    They deal with builders but you just need to give it a go

but seriously why would you bother, there are far more important things than a stove that matter in a flip

7. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I had a 900 range in a house some years ago and it really wasn't worth it especially with only 3 or 4 people in the house. I found the issues jaybean mentions with it and wouldn't do it again. More recently I did a 700/750 cooktop with a 600 oven next to it with microwave above the oven. I have found this works much better for us. I really like the oven to be a raised a bit (middle of the oven it at bench top with drawers below) and the microwave above it (microwave/oven/grill) integrates well. Effectively a 2 oven form if needed.

For pricing I sent out a detailed list of appliances (mid range oven, hob, microwave etc) to HN, Domanyne etc and had them quote the full package - saved about 20% over individual retail.

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Or, be really different

Attached Files:

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If it's just a run-o-the-mill house, then just go for 600. If it's an upmarket house in an upmarket area, with a big kitchen go for the bigger one.

craigc, Sackie and Firefly99 like this.
  10. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Another consideration. Even modern 600mm wide 4-place cooktops have a high power requirements these days (eg. 6.5KW and higher) So apart from the purchase cost of the cooktop, you may need to upgrade the cabling to the switchboard. I have found this to be the case even with 600mm 4-place cooktops. This can easily double your costs.

11. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I'd go 900 everytime if room isn't a factor.

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member