50k for new Builds

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by albanga, 20th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

This is the exact sort of situation I was talking about!
    I think these are the type of projects they are trying to get happening

HUGH72 and Joynz like this.
  2. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Does this include investor IP?
    I don't own anything under my name - all in company trustee.

3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I’m not miffed at all from my own perspective of missing out. I’m just gobsmacked at the stupidity of it. I mean why on earth put a 6 month deadline on it. It makes it nearly pointless for anyone not already in the position.

And yes no doubt it will bring a few people over the line but honestly how many of those are we talking? To be in that position you need to A) Be raring to go already, B) Have had no impact from Covid (let’s not forget banks aren’t randomly handing out money) C) After 1&2 still want to go and leverage yourself to the hilt in a free falling market for a measly 25k......by the time the builds done your house is going to be less than that and then some.

The point is to stimulate the construction industry right? This will not even give it a slight nudge.
    Almost no one will qualify for the renovation.
    No one with a clue will go racing out to jump into a fix build contract to build for 25k. And if they do they have never built before.

Propin, MC1 and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  4. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

The best feature is that it adds to supply. This is the first and foremost requirement for preventing high price inflation. The newspaper comment yahoos raving against capitalists and negative gearing again just don't get it. They begrudge the idea of a developer or builder making some money - to their own detriment.

Last edited: 4th Jun, 2020
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It says no investor so I would say it will be personal name only - some personal name investors might be able to squeak through if they play their cards right.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If you know any small (or volume) builders you will know that in the months since covid lots of people have decided not to proceed with their builds - even though a lot of work had already been put into the planning process (like my work colleague).

Huge numbers of works in the pipeline are on hold.

It is exactly these people who the program is targeted to. These builds are projects ready to go, they do have building permits!

Builders need immediate help for the next 6 months. This will help.

craigc, lixas4, Angel and 1 other person like this.
  7. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

There will always be some inefficencies.

Its just an incentive - in the right direction.

8. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Yes i think it is meant to keep the tradie in business, and not overwhelmed with new projects that they are bringing unqualified tradies to do jobs.

Scomo mentioned that Pink Batt disaster is what they are trying to avoid.

Joynz likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ha! The block I was watching that was 12km from city and in my DS's budget went under offer yesterday
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential land-wa-embleton-202669978
    He has a max $450k budget so would have gotten him FHOR no stamp duty on block, $10k FHOG from WA govt plus $25k from federal government and really stretched his dollar further to build a decent house on it.

Propin likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Only a "owner occupier" can be eligible if all other elements are met. eg Individual/s as owners, new build, contract date, first progress payment before 31/12/2020 etc. Its not stated but I imagine they will apply the typical 6 month rule to being occupied or the grant has to be repaid but havent seen the law yet. . It is intended to encourage construction of home builds. Not sure how a duplex may work and fine points of the law may or may not permit it. And the threshold likely means it cant apply to a GF but it could to a high sec on e maybe - need to see the law.

i would like to see when the $25K is paid. For all we know it could be paid 6 months after hand over.

It will be paid and administered by each STATE Govt through SRO like duties and FHOG concessions. Application will be approved after the first progress payment. Need to submit the contract etc too. And get council approvals started and completed.....remains to be seen how councils play their part in making life hell for people missing the deadline

craigc, lixas4, Propin and 2 others like this.
  11. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

Who earns less than $125k but has a $150k+ renovation lined up?

If they are truly trying to generate work for the builders, why limit it to just PPOR buyers? Surely if it was open to investors some might be interested in building a home and land package?

12. FatElephant

FatElephant Well-Known Member

I wonder if it will be the same amount for each state (the proposed $25k) or if it would vary per state just like the FHOG.

Also yes I thought I could potentially take advantage to do some renovations but not a $150k renovation just to get ... $25k.

Hope people won't start buying 'just because they get this grant'. I mean even though I'm pretty sure we'll see some of that.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well that still gives a lot of room as that’s a higher than median salary for a single person ($200k salary allowed for a couple).

It’s pretty easy to spend 150k on a reno.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

One of the more problematic aspects IMO is this :

• If you own vacant land before 4 June 2020, and then build, the total value ## of the land and new build cannot exceed $750,000; or
    • If you buy the land after announcement, and then build, the total value ## of the land and build cannot exceed $750,000.

Its not the wealthy buying at $750K. A basic home in NW sydney will cost that. The inclusion of the land into the test seems crappy. Yet if you buy a dump and knock down the test is $1.5M PLUS the build ie $2.25m Thats three times what a first home buyer can get. WTF. ScoMo and Josh have lost the plot.

• If you own a property (house and land), and knock the house down to rebuild – this will be counted as a substantial renovation, and therefore subject to the renovation price range of $150,000 to $750,000 provided the total value (house and land) of the property does not exceed $1.5 million prerenovation;

## Note its doesnt say COST !!! Who will value the completed works ?

Albo is going to rip into this loophole for the wealthy !! Wait till the media read it

Jasper and Propin like this.
  15. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I can see where your coming from but where does your “huge numbers” figures come from?

And what I’m saying is then this becomes very niche. Basically only applicable to anybody raring to go who still has the capacity post Covid and who wants to leverage themselves in a falling market.

According to the governments estimate that’s approximately 27,500 people in a 6 month period...maybe I’m wrong and it could be.

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

17. Chill2205

Chill2205 Well-Known Member

I Agree, the new build and renovation values don't align. But how many people can find a dump, purchase it and then sign a knock down rebuild contract before the end of the year?

I would have been happier with something like build costs up to $400k and land not included in total value

Propin likes this.
  18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’m not convinced this is too helpful. My husband’s in CommercialConstruction Industry. Shopping centre projects and mixed use Apartment/Commercial projects have been put on hold. Work drying up within the next few months. I just can’t see how that sector is being helped at all. So disappointed!

New Town likes this.
  19. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Will they have enough time to find a block of land, create a build plan, get the permit, sign the build contract, get the loan and start the work within the allowed time window?

Propin likes this.
  20. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Only owner occupied properties.