5% Deposit for First Home Buyer Scheme vs Interest Only Offset

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Curious Johnny, 8th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Curious Johnny

Curious Johnny Member

Good morning.

My question was centred around the governments 5% deposit home loans for first home buyers. I am looking to take make my first purchase for a PPOR and my plan is to invest in real estate inside the next 3 years after making the initial purchase, and then beyond that.

My question is, would the benefits of an Interest Only Loan with an Offset account, with roughly a 15% deposit, having to pay LMI, outweigh the short term benefit of paying no LMI and having a P&I loan under this scheme ?

Any points would be appreciated.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker Business Member

Generally IO not available for main residence loans

3. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Especially if >80% LVR - the few lenders that have IO OO appetite won't like that.

Are you planning on turning the purchase into an investment in future?

What will be the limiting factor in 3 years in buying the next investment property? Deposit (which is preserved buying the first property with 5%) or borrowing capacity?

Terry_w likes this.
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Have an offset account on the PPOR, put the 15% in there and save the interest.
    Pay down your principal and split the equity off into a new split to use as a deposit for a new property?
    @Terry_w has anyone seen these FHLDS loans, if you have a 95% loan, can you pay down 15% and redraw it, or is redraw locked until after 80% LVR?

5. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Well-Known Member

Yes had a dozen or so approved and working thru the contracts prior to completion.

As long as your chosen lender offers a redraw facility on the product there is no issue in paying down the loan and redrawing it.

Cheers

Richard

Archaon likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

the rate spread on IO to PI at that LVR is a bit big with the few lenders that offer IO on PPOR lends, though there are one or 2 exceptions as always

2 Core qs to the outcome of your goals may result in a different strategy

1. Are you looking at an active debt recycling strategy ?
    2. What is the fate of the property you will buy, Long term B&H OO, flick to upgrade, or hold as IP while upgrading ?

ta
    rolf