Cars & Motorbikes 4x4 Advice

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by robbie_p, 12th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Blacky likes this.
  2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We've got a Prado and we love it. We had 3 car seats across the back when we first got it in 2009, and it hasn't missed a beat. Took it around Aus with the kids towing a van and it was great. It's also not too ginormous to park if you're in civilisation.

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Blacky likes this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/res...de.AU._.(C.Make.Toyota._.Model.Landcruiser.))
    Have a look at this site,it may give you an idea on the service costs running a 4x4 Toyota diesel motor..
    With 5 people maybe have a look at motor homes in that price range, when you pull up you don't have to set-up the campsite..

5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Kesse likes this.
  6. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Bahaha! 200k's on a diesel is just breaking it in! :p My old petrol paj had over 300k's on it and still went reasonably ok..... She even had the bonus feature of never needing an oil change as she leaked so much oil all I had to do was top it up every few weeks :D

Landcruisers you're just paying for the name. Used to have a surf. Sure don't miss locking the hubs in the pouring rain. Seriously though, Toyota, it's the 21st century, get with the times! :rolleyes: :p

More than happy with my current Pajero Sport but a bit more than $25k

[​IMG]

7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1534151840276.jpg
    mine could swim :cool:

8. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice guys and gals, much appreciated!

At this stage, I'm going to narrow down my search to a Landcruiser 100 series or a Mitsubishi Pajero.

On a side note.. I was always under the impression to look for a newish car with low millage.

Both the Landcruiser and Pajero seems to make good older models (2004-2008), so the cars are reasonably "old".

I'm guessing that these cars are built to go forever so i shouldn't be put off by one of these models which has +250km on the clock?

9. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Cars are built to a much higher standard these days, the days of not buying a car with 100,000 on it are long gone, diesels should be good for a million if they are looked after, petrol I reckon you can expect 500+ if well maintained. Obviously a vehicle with this many k's will look a little worn and have some rattles but if you are somewhere around the 250,000 mark I reckon you will be happy.

Or put in more cash and get lower k's, in a car I would be more inclined to go for lower k's because you don't know how hard those 250,000k's have been driven but in a 4WD, not many people thrash the crap out of them.

The Prestige likes this.
  10. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, I'd look for a diesel with less than 200k on it, <150k even better, particularly if you're looking at having it for a long time.

If you are looking at getting one kitted out then wait till a well looked after one pops up for sale as that's always the cheaper way to go rather than getting a stock vehicle and upgrading it yourself.

As far as Pajeros go, if you go down that track, look for an Exceed as they have the bells and whistles that make them feel a bit more modern than their actual year.

With 4wd vehicles themselves being more expensive to buy new for that price point you'd have to compromise with a bit of an older vehicle.

My old pajero was 27 years old when I sold her. Still started first time every time and was mechanically reliable just little annoying electronic bits and pieces were slowly dying. Still see her driving around town with her new owners though which makes me smile.

11. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Couple of years ago in Sydney, I saw a Toyota Lite Ace driving around with the license plates REA.226, made me smile as it was our car when I was learning to drive back in 1995 :).

Phantom likes this.
  12. robbie_p

Silly question guys.. but a few suggested the landcruiser 80 and 100 series.

Was this because those particular models are very good cars (even compared to new cars) or was it purely due to my budget (under $25k)?

Were there any models up from the 100 series?

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Wow, you can teach the Paj tricks like sit, roll over and raise one wheel off the ground?

I thought you had a boil over and were cooling the engine. ;)

bob shovel and Kesse like this.
  14. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

I worked in East Africa with 80 series Cruisers.....so maybe I am biased - but they are incredibly robust and go (almost) anywhere (and get you back)!
    80 series is legend....just find one that has not been molested too much! Prefer the part time 4wd. Expect to change some suspension bushes and swivel housing seals....(rear) universal joints can cop a hiding - see "bob shovel" pic in previous post. Parts easily available.
    100 series improved some road handling /gearing but roll easier...look for proper suspension lifts and fairly recent suspension bush maintenance.
    200 series is out of price range.
    Plenty of issues with load capacity and off road durability with the later model 4x4s....chassis cracks, electronic issues, trim and cabin fit issues...its a long list.

15. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Not that familiar with cruisers but I'd hazard a guess at being in the right price point as there are 200 series but I'd doubt you'd get one for $25k

16. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Scott No Mates likes this.
  17. The Prestige

The Prestige Well-Known Member

Just be careful with new generation diesel's (common rail). If they are maintained well they run forever. However if you are looking one with 150 000k or more and may have not had the best servicing done they can lead to issues. Injectors and emissions control systems are very expensive to fix!. In the order of $3000 per repair...minimum.
    80 series landcruisers are older and do not have these issues...but they drive like a tank. I bought a v6 grand vitara recently and am very happy. 14k purchase with 88k on it. Does what i need to do and use it for commuting generally.

18. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

rented the new Paj sport for 2 days, feels like a truck, stiff interior, good for off road. :)

19. robbie_p

petrol v diesel..

If you were looking for a 2nd hand car, how would you rate petrol v diesel in terms of mileage?

Lets say you had two similar spec cars, one diesel the other petrol.

Diesel had 250,000 kms on the clock, petrol had 125, 000kms, both same price..

Which would be the better choice?

20. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2018