Cars & Motorbikes 4x4 Advice

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by robbie_p, 12th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I’m not really a “car enthusiast”, but I’m looking to get a 2nd car. I have 3 young kids (3,6,8) so something with a decent amount of space.

We really enjoy camping and day trips, so I’m looking for a 4x4.. At this stage, I’m not sure whether I should be looking for a..

Twin cab UTE or a SUV..
    Automatic or manual..
    Petrol or Diesel..

I am going to be looking for something used, preferable under $25k. Something reliable, easy to service (parts readily available).

Any suggestions or things to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Robbie

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2018
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No idea about the LDVs or Mahindra type 4x4s in the market but as a new buy may fit your pocket as well.

Diesel is the way to go, esp If you're going any distance off road, fuel is less volatile than petrol.

Depends on how bush you intend going - road clearance is the biggie but several of the lighter suvs will get you around most places.

We had a Suzuki Grand Vitara (full high/low range capabilities) mostly used for snow/icy roads. Fuel consumption was the biggest drawback (no diesel option at the time) limiting travel to 350km/tank, 400km odd on the freeway.

Recently purchased Ford Ranger dual cab, need I say more about that one. You may get a lower priced dual cab with an alum tray in the earlier models.

Isuzu, Colorado, Navara, VW, BT50 Mazda or Hilux etc are all very capable.

In suvs, many are only AWD and lack ground clearance for any serious off road adventures. Also a lack of storage space. Subaru Forester, Forerunner, Pathfinder etc are larger many others tend to be more car like. VW have a new Tiguan with seats which fold flat (extra storage/bed for kids). Some of the older subies were hi/lo 4wd.

@bob shovel has done a little off road or possibly @ellejay gets out bush quite often too.

Last edited: 12th Aug, 2018
    Phantom and bob shovel like this.
  3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Depends how off-road you're looking at going and what kind of off roading. I wouldn't get a Ute if you're looking at doing lots of dusty roads. Even with a decent tonneau cover dust with still get into everything.

I've just come back from doing the Maytown to Laura Old Coach Road and you certainly wouldn't get a stock vehicle along there. My modified Pajero Sport handled it fantastically. My husband's BT-50 went OK but only one of us needed a winch ;)

IMHO, diesel, auto, 7 seater. With your criteria (and I am a bit biased) I'd go a NW Pajero that has plenty of interior volume and quite capable off road and there's enough out there that parts shouldn't be hard to come by.

You can get some good second hand ones out there that have things added to it already such as bullbar, snorkel, lift etc.

DaveM likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd say a dual cab ute will be a struggle with 3 kids (especially when they are growing)

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

Yep, a Paj like this one.... oh hang on, did you say 7 seats?...

The Y-man

01.jpg

Kesse likes this.
  6. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

My old 'classic' paj had only 2 seats for most of its life with me. She never did fulfil her dreams and make it to the Dakar Rally though :(

The Y-man likes this.
  7. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @robbie_p

Before you get confused by all the different brands out there, it'll help to answer yourself the following questions and automatically exclude anything that does not comply.
    • Will I ever need a proper 4x4 or would an AWD suffice?
    • How much ground clearance do I need and why?
    • Am I prepared to put slightly bigger tyres on if I need to get a little bit more ground clearance?
    • How much "stuff" do I need to cart around and thus what minimum boot space do I need?
    • Am I prepared to attach a pod to the roof to cart extra stuff if needed?
    • Do I expect the bootspace to be usable as a bed? If so how long and wide must it be? Am I prepared to pad gaps out with pieces of dense foam if the rear seats don't lay sufficiently flat?
    Beyond all that, other things are optional luxuries.

Point number 1 is a good one to get really clear on. If you're only going to drive on flat or slightly uphill unsealed or lightly pebbled roads, an AWD is probably going to be adequate. But if you fancy going on really uneven terrain or roads, or if there are going to be "rocks" rather than "pebbles" as a road surface, or if you want to drive through rivers, then AWD isn't going to cut the mustard.

Ground clearance is important if you fancy driving through rivers, really uneven terrain, or over those large speed bumps you often encounter on steep unsealed roads in national parks.

You cannot manufacture space. If the boot space isn't big enough to store all the "stuff" that makes your camping trip enjoyable, then you'll hate the car pretty quickly.

Pods attached to the roof are good for extra items, but not for bulky items or large plastic tubs that store your camping food and cooking equipment. You also don't want to be hauling heavy items overhead and onto the roof of the car. As for strapping things to roof racks, we once strapped some things to the roof racks without at least wrapping them in tarps. Let's just say that when you drive on a road called "Red Rock Road", all your stuff strapped to the roof gets absolutely coated in fine red dust. Not a mistake I have ever repeated, and a good example of why it's just better to have everything inside the car, or in a pod.

Being able to sleep in the rear of the car is a luxury... you don't hear as much campground noise as you would in a tent. Obviously you cannot sleep a family of 5 in the back though! And the campground noise issue is not relevant if you don't tend to go to busy campgrounds.

I have a Mitsubishi Challenger and love it to bits. Awesome ground clearance, proper 4x4, back seats go wonderfully flat, and the boot space is huge (bigger than the Pajero in fact). I hope to keep this vehicle forever as I love that it can take me on whatever adventures I fancy without skimping on taking items that make camping comfortable. You can fit those big chunky mattresses from Clark Rubber, plus huge plastic crates full of all your camp kitchen stuff, plus sporting/activity equipment. :D:D:D

Happy travels, and happy car shopping!

8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Really no one can answer that question for you. As it’s very personal depending on what you want out of a car.

The old Ute vs SUV is a hard argument and depending on what you want to do with it will give your answer.
    Although they have come a long way. Utes are still not as comfortable as most SUVs.
    Personally I ‘need’ Ute. Which is a pity, as I love the land cruiser wagons for both comfort and capability.
    In the Ute range the Ford Ranger has been the second highest seller in its class and for the last 5 years has taken out ‘best car’ in its class. It was trumped this year by the new VW amarok with v6 diesel and 8speed auto (no low range).
    The hilux has traditionally been a best seller, maintains is value, is still ‘unbreakable’, but lacks ‘car like’ comforts so usually ranks fairly low in these comparisons.

For most people 90+% of driving is on road, in the city. So car like comfort overcomes the slightly less 4x4 capability.

If I was buying a wagon, in that price bracket it would be a land cruiser 80 or 100series. Though I wouldn’t be seen dead in one the Prados they are also quite a capable car.
    For dual cabs it would be a Ford Ranger.
    I like the 79series cruiser dual cabs, however the lack of car like comfort, and the $$ paid puts me off. If I didn’t have family this would probably be my choice though.

I’m very biased, but wouldn’t be caught dead in one of the ‘wannabe’ SUV 4x4.

Diesel every day. Wouldn’t even bother looking at a petrol.
    Manual for me, but this is mostly personal choice due to the driving I do.

Have fun with the search.

Blacky

robboat likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

The Ranger is massive - would fit 3 booster seats or big adults in the back comfortably.

10. The Y-man

Ok.... just been in a wildtrak and wasn't really impressed.... but then my day car is a Mazda 2 so go figure!... :confused:

The Y-man

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Some of those big utes are very uncomfortable. Take the Mrs to a dealership that has all the different brands and let her do the "Bumb on Seats" test to narrow down the choice a bit more.

Those little boys will get very long legs in the near future - watch out for space and comfort on the back seat too.

bob shovel and JacM like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Is Mazda 2 synonymous with Tardis?

13. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Are rego and green slip costs considerably higher for utes, being commercial vehicles, compared to passenger vehicles?
    I’ve found this to be the case in the past but every ones circumstances could be different.

14. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that detests the Seppo term "SUV"? It doesn't even make any sense! What's sporty about a 4WD?

15. The Y-man

16. The Y-man

17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

This topic makes me to emotional :oops: i sold mine not long ago

Landcruiser 100 series everyday of the week! :) travelled the country in it with 2 kids. Easily fit 3. Heaps of space and seals well. Dual cabs are a pet hate of mine. No space inside and a uselessly small tray
    I wouldn't bother with a ute unless you need it for work. Just get a trailer to do jobs.
    I bought it in 2009 for $22k with 180km. Sold it 2018 for $13k with 380km. I think in the car world I've somehow made money on that deal

You've got a decent budget but I'm not sure what's out the these days as I've never needed to look. I'd recommend a diesel wagon - landcruiser or patrol (perhaps even the Ladies Landcruiser - prado :D) with roof racks and put a 2"inch lift in for clearance, enough to get you out of trouble without going over the top. Thats a top start don't be fooled by all the tools on the road and in 4wd shops.... all the gear, no idea;)

willair, Blacky and robboat like this.
  18. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Landcruiser all the way - 80 or 100 series - as other posters have recommended.
    Diesel 80 series (turbo) - awesome on or off road, easy repair & spare parts, still the best....:cool::cool:
    I drive an 80....often have people ask if I want to sell - no!
    Great for towing and great off road. Stable and easy to drive on road.
    If you look around they are well under $20k for fully optioned, well maintained examples.

Last edited: 13th Aug, 2018
    Blacky and bob shovel like this.
  19. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

20. Scott No Mates