QLD $419K in Brisbane or Logan?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by LSY, 29th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LSY

LSY Member

Not a purely IP question, but I can't buy a home without investigating growth (among many other factors) as far as I can.

I have owned in Brisbane for 10 years but have been renting for the last couple years due to a change in circumstances. I have $419K which, 10 years ago, got us a nice (older) house in Sunnybank Hills. Looking now, it seems I'm priced out of nearly all Brisbane houses, and even a lot of townhouses in the Sunnybank area. There are several other criteria which I'll list below, so I'm (reluctantly) also considering Logan. There are some very nice houses in my price range, and I know there are some 60 suburbs in Logan, most with 'good' areas. Not having spent much time there, I'm looking for 'insider views' on the factors I need to consider:

- safety (single woman, tiny daughter, no car - we walk everywhere)
    - infrastructure (but don't mind walking 20 minutes to a bus stop or retail hub)
    - daycares and schools (this is the hardest one, being that cheap houses seem to cluster around terrible public schools)
    - culture (this is a big one, certain parts of Logan - but also Brisbane - make me feel really uncomfortable)
    - nature (don't mind being a bit away from it all if I have good views, quiet, clean air)

A lot of this points to high owner-occupier areas, with lots of families. I'm not really interested in built communities like Forest Lake (I want an east facing window that is more than 1 metre away from a fence, or the neighbour's wall), and love older brick homes that have stood the test of time, but don't really have time or resources to renovate.

What are the views on suburbs around Beenleigh? Holmview, Eden's Landing, Eagleby?
    Or even up north in Nundah/Northgate?

Tom Rivera likes this.
  2. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

This probably won't be a popular opinion but as there is 2 of you and it's a buyers market I would be looking at an older style unit in a blue chip. I'm a northsider so I would suggest something in Clayfield,Ascot or the like.

Daughter then can go to a great public school Ascot State or Eagle Junction etc. Very safe areas. Plenty to walk to.

Angel and Tom Rivera like this.
  3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Did you consider Bald Hills or Zillmere? They seem to be within your price range.

4. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Wont get much in Bald Hills for low $400s these days. The northside of Brissy is heating up within the last 6 months and continues to do so.

Logan is a MASSIVE council. One of the biggest in the entire country actually. Many good suburbs in Logan and of course there are some not so good as well just like every other council in the entire of Australia.

For low $400s you could get yourself a very nice family home that requires minimal work.

What made you feel uncomfortable with the diversity in culture in Logan? Multiculturalism is a good thing for the area especially when there are asians or indians. They work hard and majority never cause problems.

5. LSY

LSY Member

I'm 'Asian' and my ex is Indian. It's the whiteys I'm terrified of. LOL.

6. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Any reason why Redlands Council isn't an option?
    If you could get into Birkdale or Wello Point it would be great for long term investment and both suburbs have what you need and would be considered very safe
    Capalaba is more affordable but not as nice
    Alex Hille is nice and affordable but probably not good for a non driver

7. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

Considered Springwood/Underwood areas? There is a bit going on at Underwood at the moment to mimic the likes of Sunnybank.

8. LSY

LSY Member

I'm mostly seeing units in this price range in this area - estates? And I'm really not sure about public transport, particularly if I'm working in the city. Narrowing it down to Brisbane Logan for a number of reasons - just getting feelers out for no-go areas.

9. LSY

LSY Member

Yes. They're in Logan aren't they? But not a lot of houses for under $419K. Ideally I'd want something I can move into immediately with a toddler. I had my eye on this one, but wasn't sure about the area:22 Finlay Street Slacks Creek Qld 4127 - House for Sale #128945986 - realestate.com.au

LongGame_Kate likes this.
  10. LSY

LSY Member

Not a great deal of brick and tile out that way.
    It's one option if I knew I could make short term gains - I don't like living in units, never imagined raising kids in one, and - not being familiar with the northside - would want to be able to get out if I didn't like the area.

11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

You might be able to get a nice 3brm unit in Annerley for this price...definitely a 2 brm.

That area is becoming foodie central. The demographics are great.

Stay away from most of Logan.....a few places are ok...lots of investors and lower socio tenants...not a great community.

You can comtfortably buy a 2brm for high 2s and do some work....no way you can build those for the price. Houses are now 650k plus.....at some point someone is going to see the value.

Koey, samiam and Invest_noob like this.
  12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

How could someone not like Ascot and Clayfield?
    clayfield.jpg

***possibly the neighbours being pretentious twots

13. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

This is an interesting problem, and I like the idea of picking a spot you could live in as well as growth. For me i would prioritise the dwelling over the budget and look at Rochedale South and Meadowbrook for places to live with good transport links.

As schooling becomes more important there may be a need for you to consider other suburbs within catchments that you are happy with for schools, there is a good public school in Robertson, some good ones in the Daisy Hill areas.

If you could revisit your budget and look for a place that is adjacent a 'village' like Stone's Corner, monringside, cannon hill, you many never need to drive. Kuarby also good (also got train).

There are cheap houses in Bethania and people who send their kids to the school there (Lutheran?) i think that is a good option - houses in hte 300s, train station (not express). Watch out for floody areas.

Lots of things to weigh up.

Take you time and work out what is most important.

I think sometimes being safe requires a multi cultural community not a white one.

LongGame_Kate and Tom Rivera like this.
  14. LSY

LSY Member

Thanks for your thoughts, this is my maximum budget (pre-approval), and I'm pretty much priced out of the areas you've mentioned (barring units). I am not ruling out living somewhere for a few years, then moving to another area with a better school nearby - provided I am not selling in 3-5 years at a loss. Unfortunately, time is against me. My lease is up in 2 months and then I'd have to reapply anyway. I have also been living off savings since the baby was born ($400pw rent) so now that I'm employed I'm keen to find our place. I also plan to stay in part time employment for a few more years, which makes growth as important to me as a safe place to live (I don't and never will have much superannuation). My requirement relating to culture also seems to have been misinterpreted. I'm not white, and generally not comfortable in predominantly white communities. Have always lived Moorooka and Sunnybank areas. Another option for me I guess is Acacia Ridge for a few years, then seeing what I can afford before she starts school. You're right, it's lots to think about, I want the best for my daughter now and long-term and I only have about 6 weeks to make a decision.

15. strongy1986

both birkdale and Wellington point have train stations and are extremely safe areas with some houses in these suburbs selling for millions which is a good indicator that in years to come the rest of the suburb will have good growth
    I had a quick look and yes there are a few houses in the area for sale in your budget.

theres a lot of white people in those suburbs though....

Only real negative I can see with the above areas is that it's a lengthy train ride.

However sometimes that's the sacrifice you make to live in a nicer area

16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Agree nice area...despite it being very Anglo-Saxon...none of the issues from lower socio Logan.

The only issue is transport...but I reckon that could be fixed with some investment.

17. investoradam

investoradam Well-Known Member

9584C2C7-2102-4076-BF2D-0BCB5121BD0A.png
    The Sunnybank hills backs that statement up as well

18. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

19. strongy1986

20. strongy1986

They might fix it up but by doubt initiative will ever come from local council
    All the councils around Brisbane are all very self centered
    which is fine if your Brisbane council but all the other surrounding councils want to be the biggest and best and seem to ignore the fact that they are now a part of the growing city of Brisbane.