QLD 400k budget- Brisbane IP. House v Townhouse

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Cambridge, 10th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cambridge

Cambridge Member

Hi all

We have a budget of 400k to buy an IP in Brisbane. So my question to the brains trust is with 400k do we:

A) get a house on a good sized block a fair distance out from the CBD eg Petrie or Loganlea

B) get a townhouse much closer to the CBD eg Carina Heights

C) buy a unit in Brisbane region for approx 200 and another elsewhere like Ipswich approx 200.

We are wanting close to neutrally geared and (like everyone else) good prospects for growth.

Thanks!!

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi @Cambridge

I'd be inclined to go with option A, followed by Option B. With Option B - what is the supply like for townhouses? If going for strata properties, then look for something which is in smaller boutique complexes. In Brisbane, some of these townhouse complexes have 100s of them - making it challenging from a growth point of view and rental as well.

3. Cambridge

Cambridge Member

Good advice.

We are keen on Option A however note that many on this forum and elsewhere advise to be closer to the CBD, especially in a city like Brisbane where commutes are generally much shorter than say Sydney.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'd go option D: increase the budget by 50-100k ( if possible at all) and buy an older house closer to the CBD. I just wouldn't be buying so far from the Brisbane CBD. I think when all is said and done, medium to long terms the closer to the CBD the better and the lower overall risk imo.

Look at Bald Hills for example . DYOR.

Last edited: 10th Jun, 2018
    Foxdan likes this.
  5. Cambridge

Cambridge Member

Bald Hills is on the list, as is anywhere on the train line from the CBD through to Petrie. I would love Option D but we just can't do it. 400k is our limit unfortunately.

6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Bald Hills is becoming popular. This is the third time it is mentioned on this forum in a week.

7. lbz321

lbz321 Member

I was just about to type this exact same question as the OP. I'd love to hear what direction you ended up going here. I'm currently leaning more towards a townhouse to be closer to the CBD with a focus on neutrally gearing and as best as possible.

8. SoroSoro

SoroSoro Well-Known Member

Land appreciates, buildings depreciate. Get as much land as you can.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

'In demand' land appreciates well . Not just any land. Plenty of land around oz rotting in the sun and worthless .

Paula Ospina likes this.
  10. SoroSoro

SoroSoro Well-Known Member

And there are certainly plenty of townhouses that will do better than some houses over the next 5 years. But the houses next door to the townhouses that do well will do even better :)

11. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Why Baldhills become so popular on the forum now days? That is not middle ring, isn’t it outer ring? Attention is given becz it was mentioned by Terry? I missed the conversation here and try to catch up? The property prices look similar to Petrie, Kallangur..

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Balls hills was only given as an example and to a tight budget. I'd be looking for value as close to the cbd as possible, house on larger lot. Budget permitting . With add value potential even better.