4 Lessons from a DIY roof replacement (with photos)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by John_S, 4th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Received a call from property manager with a leaking roof on one of my rentals, so decided to jump up and have a look.

Here's what we saw:
    2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

Turns out the roof was original (1970) and in desperate need of a replacement.

I had the option to patch it up however to save long term pain ended up replacing the whole thing with help of a mate who happens to be a roofer.

Being a highset house and the middle of summer this proved a tough job.

Here are some of the lessons I learnt:

Lesson 1: Hire a professional when necessary

Sheet metal roofing is quite simple to replace if you know what you're doing, however obstructing our path was a solar hot water heater. Instead of hiring a plumber to remove this we decided to give it a crack ourselves and in the process lost almost a full day, along with most of our morale.

Turns out solar heaters are complicated and VERY heavy. There is also a risk that they explode when empty if the solar panel is not covered...

Lesson 2: QLD summer is not fun on a metal roof

We did this over a weekend where temperatures were consistent 35 degrees, and not a cloud in the sky.

All up between the two of us we got through at least over 35L of water along with some possible mild sun stroke. Turns out steel gets very hot in the sun.

Lesson 3: Double check you have all gear before starting a job

After removing the whole roof and placing sheets down we went to start screwing it down. To our utter disbelief, the supplier gave us non roofing screws...

This, along with multiple bunnings runs, lost us a lot of time.

Lesson 4: Install insulation while you've got the bloody roof open

Progress pics with finished product and the dreaded hot water heater:
    4.jpg
    5.jpg 7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg

Roofing companies quoted me $10k for the job and all up it ended up costing a touch under $6,000 so we saved around $4,000 for two days work.

Sheets + Screws + Flashing + Delivery = $4,700
    Crane = $600
    Miscellaneous tools = $300
    3 x 24 packs of bottled water = $30
    Labour = A few slabs of beer

Massive thanks to Aaron the roofer for whom I will forever be indebted!

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2019
    Big Daddy, TMNT, neK and 4 others like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Great commentary. Good on you for having a go. It likes like it is a really good job.

You didn't get it insulated at the same time the top was off?

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think you should have laid insulation (at least reflective sarking) while you had the roof off.

You’ll never get a better chance.

4. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Had enough on my hands with just the sheeting!

Would be in best interest of tenant to insulate but I've already paid for air con so decided to skip it... Will do a proper job next time :)

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It is best to drain the water tank before you move the thing. Did you consider putting it at ground level?

In 40 years time? What is the point of redoing the roof if you don't insulate? Running costs reduce dramatically, even if it is the tenant's problem.

By the sounds of it, after all of the hard graft, had you have paid someone it took 4 man days (so about $2.5k+). Saved yourself about 10%.

I'd pay that to avoid heatstroke & depreciate the lot.

Last edited: 4th Feb, 2019
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’m surprised your roofer mate didn’t advise installing RFL at least. Cost is negligible and it makes a huge difference to heat gain.

Also, metal roofing companies recommend this to prevent condensation forming and preserve the life of the roof (not sure if it’s different in QLD?)

7. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Another lesson learnt!

Edited the post for ya

krispy likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nice job. That will add value.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Lesson 2 - Agree. A job for the winter months (cloud days too). I helped a relo with a roof and nearly went blind (with good s/glasses) and baked like a scone in warmer months. A large tarp covering helped to reduce glare.

My tip : Buy / Hire a roofing screw gun. Not a standard driver. Over tight roof screws = leaks

If its a IP its likely 100% deductible.

willair likes this.
  10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's good work,we had a roof like that about 14 months ago after a massive rainfall hail ect on a long-term rental and one day we got a letter from this USA based company that put a large drone over every property in the small street about 7 months ago and told us in black and white they would fix the roof total new ,then take on the insurance company we were insured with for the costs all the way too the high court if required ..Myself I thought it was a fast bucks con job ,but several in the street had a new roof installed not by the US based company but from their local based insurer ..So i rang up the insurance company we use ,explained what was about to happen and one week later the insurer we use had a 5 man crew there for one day fixed a new roof and never costs us one cent..

datto and John_S like this.
  11. John_S

John_S Mortgage Broker

Wow that's a massive win!! Wonder if you can cause hail with cloudseeding..... :)

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Only If you use coconuts as seeds :eek: