$3807 Water Bill

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by MTR, 10th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. House

House Well-Known Member

Check to see if any of your next door neighbors have a small pool or were using a paddling pool for the kiddies during summer...

But I see you thought of that before I posted the above! Have read a couple of stories about neighbors stealing water to fill pools, water garden etc and given nobody would have been there at night could be worthwhile looking into.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

yeah water theft is big business!
    haha a new developement area in gladstone had new meters but no houses built and were racking up huge bills! went for a drive and old mate in his new house had a hose across the road and was filling his pool, watering turf and gardens! free water for all!! :)

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is good news, hopefully I can do the same as the meter has not yet been replaced.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LOL. I am sure there are dodgy people around, I have heard of this one before.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

meter reading

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, I might actually do this as well, double check it.

My building inspector also said he would mentioned he visited the site regularly and did not notice any water, leaks etc on the property.

Oh well, not the end of the world, but still not nice getting a huge bill like this.

7. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Are you sure the meter hasn't been changed between readings?
    Wouldn't be the first time a meter with a low reading has been swapped for a high one............

bob shovel likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I see a $3807 tax deduction.....

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would prefer the money:)

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Don't we all.

Lets do a bit of lateral thinking.

You pay water bill $3807. You get 50% rebate from water authority. You still claim a $3807 deduction lol... well, these things happen.

OK, that's a bit shifty. How about increasing the sale price of the properties to absorb the high water bill?

Ted Varrick, bob shovel and Cactus like this.
  11. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I've had a minor disaster at my PPOR this week. I was in Canberra for work and my lawn mower dude rang me to tell me my recycled water garden tap had been running for at least two days. Thankfully my neighbour rang him to sort it out. A plastic adapter had broken that connects the tap to my automatic watering system.

14,400 litres is my estimate of the amount of wasted water. Not looking forward to the bill!

My money down my neighbour's drain.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I don't know, I have time tomorrow to research further, hopefully will shed further light on this

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Good Tip! noted

Inconsiderate hey, surely his heard the ads to cut our sprinkler & shower times etc...

When doing this someone continues to hose everything down, reduce dust (asbestos), but wouldn't use that much.

Sure there's plenty of it around but I know someone who's meter tap was fitted before the meter rather than after, he turn the tap off, unscrewed the meter (& line to house), fitted a T-piece facing down, refitted the meter, ran some new lines before landscaping, boxed up the meter so only the counter is showing, only thing that goes through the meter is his kitchen sink.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good one.
    No can do, they are all sold. What I could do is reduce the agents fee, but I wont he was a great agent.

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Wombat, do you pay for recycled water?

16. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Yes - at a reduced rate to drinking water. From memory there is a service charge and a consumption charge. That would pay for plant upkeep. I expect Sydney Water also makes a profit.

Rouse Hill has a large waste water treatment plant that services Rouse Hill, Kellyville, The Ponds, etc. There is some detail on the scheme here:

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/web/...ments/document/zgrf/mdq2/~edisp/dd_046179.pdf

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Some good news today, the water supplier will basically cost average the water bill over 12 month period. Very happy with this outcome, as my average water bill is around $160 bi-monthly.

Just shows its dependent on who you speak to, first guy I spoke to yesterday was very unhelpful and basically told me that I would be wearing it.

The person I spoke to today, reviewed my bill/invoices and came back with averaging the bills over the year.

As I mentioned this is in my company name which was not an issue whatsoever.

MTR

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@MTR great outcome.

MTR likes this.