3 units within a house? Legal??

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by mr_alex, 13th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mr_alex

mr_alex Well-Known Member

9 Dandar Drive, Southport, Qld 4215 https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-southport-135734542

I saw this house for sale on the Goldy that has been divided into 3 units with each having its own kitchen and ensuite.

I am wondering what would this be considered as? It wouldn't really be a class 1b sharehouse as each 'unit has its own kitchen and I believe GC council regs on sharehouses are up to 4 people, this looks to be designed for more.

I thought if separate units, they needed firebreak walls between them.. is it legal so create multiple self contained units in dwelling like this?

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

There was trend at one stage (many years ago) of splitting old homes into two or three units. Some areas seemed to have more than their fair share of them. This was in the days before you needed proper firewalls.

I'm not sure if it's a legal set up, but if you talk to the council, they should be able to tell you.

mr_alex likes this.
  3. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

There is a legal way to do it. Rules vary from council to council.

Look up Ian Ugarte (Small is the new Big). He does and has done some on the Gold Coast.

mr_alex likes this.