3 townhouses development in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Development' started by Duy Nguyen, 12th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Duy Nguyen

Duy Nguyen Member

Hi all,

Been a member of Property Chat for a while but only started to do my first development so would love to get some feedback from you all.

We are subdividing our block for 3 townhouses and there are a lot of things to decide, and now finally having a 'good enough' preliminary plan. (Kitchen definitely needs to move around as it's quite small)

Thanks heaps in advance

Attached Files:

WandereringTribe likes this.
  2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The living areas seem too small relative to the number and size of the bedrooms.
    Marg

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I was just going to say the same thing!

My thoughts

Unit 1:
    - the living/meals is a reasonable sqm but is a terrible physical size. It's just over 26sqm but is not a length or a width where you can comfortably put the 2 functions side by side. It would be more preferable in terms of function and furnishability to be 7 x 3.8m or example which is the same size. I get that the design currently doesn't really lend itself to that unless you put the dining in the kitchen location and move the kitchen to the euro laundry spot perhaps
    - it feels like the living room sliding door has no relationship to the outside area. Will it be paved outside it? If so then the location behind the garage might be a better area to pave to form the outside entertaining area and put grass near the canopy tree
    - I don't know how function the laundry will be in that shape, it might be difficult to get a washing machine in.
    - ensuite I would consider using a cavity slider so that the shower door and the entrance door can't hit each other
    - consider stealing a little bit of room from the main bathroom and give to the ensuite.
    - move bed 3's window off the west and onto the south to decrease afternoon sun heat up

Unit 2
    This is a 4 x 3 with insufficient living space to cater for what would presumably be a larger household. Consider where a TV would go, how couches would address the tv and then where a dining room table would work in relation to that. It's the same issue as Unit 1 but even smaller square instead of a rectangle
    - ensuite I would consider using a cavity slider so that the shower door and the entrance door can't hit each other
    - consider stealing a little bit of room from the main bathroom and give to the ensuite.

Unit 3
    This is a 4 x 3 with a study. I would consider the demographic living in the area (I have no idea as I'm in Perth) and consider if Bed 3 upstairs would be better as an additional living area and having the shower be a shower over bath.
    - the downstairs living is better but I think it will still be problematic to have a 3m deep living room. Your TV will end up on the garage wall and your couch will be far too close
    - consider placing a linen closet at the top of the stairs where there is a nook

General construction points
    - your upper floors seem to be a tiny bit setback from the ground floor which would require the tiniest of roofs to be built at ground level for no real gain that I can see. It would be better to line up more of the upper storey to the ground storey

Marg4000, Sackie and Tufan Chakir like this.
  4. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Check the acceptability of secluded open space in the frontage setback
    Comments by Westminster very valid
    Construction seems too complicated
    Not convinced that this would be supported by a Melb Council

5. Duy Nguyen

Duy Nguyen Member

Thanks everyone for their feedback.
    I will pass these on to my architect and hopefully will have an update soon.

6. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Depending on zoning (haven’t checked) but Also check parking for unit 2, for a 4 bedder is single garage and not sure if driveway is deep (long) enough to comply as the second parking space. Good luck!