2nd Hand Car Market before/after 2030

Discussion in 'Politics' started by balwoges, 7th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

BS wants 50% of all cars sold to be electric after 2030, what's going to happen to the 2nd hand car market as we grow closer to this date? ... :eek:

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

There may be a boom in certain internal combustion motor vehicles.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Europe and many other countries are already banning the sale of combustion motor vehicles by 2025 ... so we either follow suit or are left behind as the rest of the world converts

I don't have a problem with it - my next car (early next year) will be a hybrid which overcomes the issue of distance.

Can always stick a Corolla in the back shed and, in 50 years time, it'll be a sought after classic

gman65 and datto like this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yes, I hear Norway is leading the push for electric cars. And good on them. They are fairdinkum about saving the environment. They are a beacon in the sky. I salute you Norway.

What the ...? Norway is one of the biggest exporters of oil? That just doesn't make sense. Oh, I see, they make good coin out out of oil exports so that other countries can destroy the environment lol. I now moon you Norway lol.

craigc, Illusivedreams, Morgs and 4 others like this.
  5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Sold my 2014 diesel vehicle late last year. 80k on the odometer. Got close to original purchase price. Glad I sold it before electric vehicles started getting more mainstream media attention.

Bought a 5 year old car with 140k on the odometer as a replacement. Had already depreciated 50%.

Next car will be electric. Thinking 2023 to 2025 timeframe.

Will start extensively using train with Sydney Norwest Metro opening next month. My driving could potentially reduce from 1,500 to 2,000 km per month to 300 to 500km per month ... in which case do I really need a new car.

inertia likes this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

We fill up our car (V6 Aurion) about once per month on average.

I work from home and wife catches the train to work. Bought the car 9 years ago and have done less than 80,000km - including quite a few trips from Sydney to Adelaide and back. I'd say we drive less than 500km per month most months.

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The mint 180B @datto has in the back shed along with his VL & VN Commodore's will increase in value :cool: , and he will be one of only a few select (rich) who can afford $275 per litre of bio organic modified fuel to run them :confused:

The Aurion of @Simon Hampel will be recycled into several Milwaukee power tools :p

Many Many people will "hold on/out" and believe there is something special about their old car......:rolleyes:

LPG is already being phased out in most states (except vic)
    Diesel will follow next due to the higher particulates emitted
    E10 and 98 octane fuels will be amoungst the last available o_O

Eventually it may get to a point where if you don't have solar panels to charge your car your household electricity use may be limited :eek:

Because far too much electricity production is from coal fired stations :(

Lizzie and datto like this.
  8. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

bugger property you should stick to car sales

all the car manufacturers have been ramping up production of electric models. battery technology (range) will inevitably improve with demand. We should see electric cars in the next 12 months, from the likes of Hyundai, Nissan, Renault, Jaguar, Audi, and Mercedes.

hang on to that polariser @datto

datto likes this.
  9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Nimby :)

ta
    rolf

datto likes this.
  10. wombat777

I think there will be nice markets for hybrids of some forum. That means perhaps petrol for those or maybe fuel cell technology that Toyota is trying to get support for.

Toyota Mirai – The Turning Point

11. wombat777

I'm wondering if we'll see deals for solar/battery-storage as part of a car purchasing package.

datto likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My next car will be ecclectic or maybe eccentric I haven't quite decided.

13. wombat777

Electric cars have a design where the battery-pack is in the floor. That's to keep the centre of gravity low. They also generally have a much more aerodynamic design and use lighter-weight materials.

China has also looked at incentives to reduce weight of vehicles ( as part of incentives to reduce emissions ).

We are also unlikely to see much in the way of conversions as a mainstream thing, although there are some companies doing niche conversions.

The classic Mustang has gone electric

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'd actually like to see the tech evolve enough that your electric cars battery could be used as home battery storage.
    IE, you could set it so that when plugged into the house it would not only charge from your solar array, but also discharge overnight to a pre set max (if reqd).

Why buy a big home battery if your car can do the same job :D

15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Nimbys remind me of Nimbin.

I always remember going into Nimbin but I never remember leaving the place lol.

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

quote..
    Norway’s Government Pension Fund Global is the largest sovereign wealth fund in the world, with investments totaling $1 trillion under management. On March 8, it announced that it will phase out oil and gas exploration companies from its portfolio. To accomplish that goal, it will sell its holdings in 134 companies, In total, the shift in strategy will affect about 1.2% of the fund’s holdings.

datto and Lizzie like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Something Howard should have been doing during the early 2000's boom year.

Personally, I think hydrogen technology is the way of the future and already hydrogen cars are available - can power trains, planes and heavy machinery - but our government is barely acknowledging electric power with only 4 recharging pumps installed in brand new multi-level shopping carparks ... honestly ... every second carpark should have a recharge facility.

I don't think we'll find hydrogen fuelling stations anywhere in the near future, and it's impossible to produce at home.

inertia likes this.
  18. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

it might be applicable in certain situations, but, i read in new scientist that it produces nitrous oxides when burned and is expensive to produce and i don't fancy driving any Hindenburg around town, have you seen some of the drivers in Sydney. :eek:

however,
    The NRMA will establish Australia’s largest electric vehicle fast-charging network, suitable for a range of electric vehicles and free for NRMA Members.

Electric Vehicle Fast Charger Network FAQs | The NRMA

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Which is awesome - but a bit "chicken/egg". The charging stations really need to be in place before it is widely taken up as, due to the size of Australia, people need to be secure in the knowledge that they "can" charge when necessary.

I know, for me now, I would have to have guaranteed access to a charging station before I would buy as, to travel to the nearest large city is an hour away at 100km/hr - the nearest hub town is 30 minutes at 80km/hr - so I would be concerned about having enough charge for the return journey.

As for hydrogen ... I gather the waste product depends on what the "H" is initially bound to via steam, gas or electrolysis

How Do Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles Work?

20. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

yes, but you are not most people. The majority of car journey's are short, well within the reach of current electric vehicles.

I am looking at a new (to me) car. I wont be buying diesel. While the rest of the world is putting end dates on diesel motor production, Australia for some reason is ramping up sales. We always seem just that little bit behind. Anyway, my driving pattern is not particularly healthy for diesel engines. I'm actually looking at petrol Prados. Given my annual mileage, the fuel consumption is not really of concern.

Cheers,
    Inertia

Lizzie likes this.