Education 20 Year Old Seeking Advice to Structure Share Ownership

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Montey, 25th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Montey

Montey Member

does it involve a SMSF at all?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

no

3. Terry_w

where is the money coming from for the trust to invest?

4. Montey

Montey Member

My savings and a marginal loan.

5. Terry_w

could you get someone else to start and control the trust?

6. Montey

Montey Member

I mean potentially - but I am weary of giving that much control to a friend or family member in case we have a falling out.

Also, if it is my money that is transferred to the trust wouldn't that mean that I pass the source test for a controlled trust - according to the social security act, and that centrelink would potentially deem income from that trust as my own?

7. GoldDaze

GoldDaze Well-Known Member

Montey You do seem to be spending an awful lot of time faffing about trying to devise "cunning plots & Secret Plans" ( as per Rowan Atkinson's Black Adder character) I am in agreement with paying what one legally owes in tax - but a mind set of just trying to get around your legal obligations could mean you are missing opportunities to advance yourself by getting on & making real $$'s by getting an edge in your profession & earning more or at present knuckling down & concentrating on studying whilst looking at ways of increasing your own part time earnings & becoming less reliant on Gov subsidies- You might be surprised the feeling of freedom this gives you. Then in the future you won't be saddled with the mindset of so many of these miserable old duffers who are scrabbling round to keep their pension by reducing their few assets & being miserable moaners. That time is a long way off of course & could never happen if & I hope you have success in your profession

number 5 and Terry_w like this.