Entertainment & Music 20 greatest albums to share with your kids.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Dylan33, 24th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

In the late 80's, the magnificent art deco Capitol Theatre in Melbourne (designed by Walter Burley Griffin) hired a massive PA system to play The Song Remains the Same for their headbanger challenge. They also played The Wall on another night, which I went to see totally ripped and it was extrodinary.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

"Never Mind The ********...here's the Sex Pistols"

This is raw trash that deserves a mention. Great for the rebellious teenager. Sid and Johnny, are legends.

For the deep thinking crater face a dose of Rodrguez At His Best will work wonders.

"Sugar Man won't you hurry cause I'm tired of these scenes......you bring me jumpers, coke, sweet maryjane"

That's just a taste.!

3. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Mylo - Destroy Rock & Roll

4. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

So I was reading about "Sweet Child O' Mine" on Wikipedia and I noticed this:

Australian Crawl controversy
    "In 2015, the web page of the Australian music TV channel MAX published an article by music writer Nathan Jolly that noted similarities between the song Sweet Child O' Mine and the song Unpublished Critics by the Australian band Australian Crawl, from 1981. The article posted videos of both songs, inviting readers to compare the two. It also cited a reader's comment on an earlier article that had originally drawn attention to the similarities between the songs. As of May 2015, this comment no longer appeared on the earlier article. The story went "viral" quickly, encouraging several comments on both the MAX article and the suggestion that the Australian song had influenced Sweet Child O' Mine, including one from Duff McKagan, bass player with Guns N' Roses when Sweet Child O' Mine was written."

Apparently James Reyne has acknowledged the similarities but been somewhat dismissive of the suggestion that GnR did rip off "Unpublished Critics". He has also said that, in any event, he's not about to take on the might of the GnR lawyers, but that his publishing company would have to take up any claim.

Duff McKagan has also said - "A friend of mine just sent me that video. It is pretty stunning," he admits. "But we didn't steal it from them! I swear [puts his hand on his heart], I never heard that song until a couple of days ago."

Unpublished Critics is one of my favourite Aussie Crawl songs (if I have listened to it once, I've listened to it 500 times), and Sweet Child O' Mine is on a similarly high rotation in my collection. Besides both being great guitar-heavy 80's songs with a good riff, until 10 minutes ago I'd never noticed any particular similarities.

Links to both above for those who want to listen and compare.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2015
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Searching for Sugar Man is an amazingly moving documentary. I have seen it many times. His lyrics are thought provoking and not just about drugs so don't be put off by that little snippet. He is a poet and a gentleman and a truly amazing singer.

Bayview and LibGS like this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I saw him in Brisbane a while ago,i also saw him in the 70's but he was banged up on something back then then went back into the building game..Rodrguez..
    Sid may no longer be with us but one of them made it and Lydon is married to Nora Forster, a publishing heiress from Germany..

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2015
  7. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Fresh by Sly and the Family Stone. Soul funk at its greatest.

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Spot on, I could think of nothing worse than liking music my parents liked when I was young.
    I've stolen a bit of it now though ;)

9. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

Me too...........I was originally into the heavier stuff of my day ACDC, Led Zep, Black Sabbath.

I reckon I listened to a pretty narrow band of music for maybe 10 years - but over time grew to like the music of parents as well. As a consequence, I also love Neil Diamond, Beatles, CCR & just about any 50's or 60's song you could through at me.

Albums that should be listened to by my kids (actually, they've heard them enough already & a bit has rubbed off).

ACDC - If You Want Blood (you've got it)
    ACDC - Powerage
    ACDC - Back In Black
    ACDC - High Voltage
    Eagles - Greatest Hits
    American Graffitti - Movie Soundtrack
    Neil Diamond - Hot August Night (1972)
    Dire Straits - Communique
    Dire Straits - self titled album
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion II
    The B52's - self titled album (1979)
    Creed - Human Clay
    Derek & Clive - anything................actually I'm joking - don't think even the missus knows I have that vinyl in our collection

Bayview likes this.
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ah, good stuff.

I don't think I'm ever going to get sick of hearing songs from this album.

Bayview likes this.
  11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Not enough "Bros and Hoes" :D

Waddup, Yo?

Took our kids to swimming lessons yesterday, and then to the park/playground right next door for a play afterwards.

The area is "******** bogan central" but the aquatic centre is terrific (Pelican Park if you are wondering).

So, we are in the park, and this white, short, skinny Dad of about 30 years old turns up with small son...he's got a scungy red beard, tatts on his neck, the oversize peak cap on (backwards), the oversize "bro from da hood" zip up windbreaker, oversize gold chain, jeans with the belt loops visible below the windbreaker, and gym boots with the above ankle style....wtf?

I felt like calling out; "Dude; you are white, and not in a film clip, and not living in L.A"

The power of MTV, yo.

Last edited: 16th Aug, 2015
  12. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Saw this docco on DVD while on hols last summer over at Victor Harbor...had never heard of the bloke before watching it, and was absolutely amazed and taken with his sound and the story....oldest Son said "we've just gotta buy his album, Dad"

The very next day, we were wandering around the shops in another nearby seaside village, and wandered past this music shop...

In the front window, on a shelf, front and centre was his first album..."Cold Fact"

True story.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Was it the wigga from the park? ;)