NSW $1m properties in Blacktown

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sashatheman, 30th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Find a park bench and go to sleep.

samiam and JDP1 like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Hey Datto ...have you heard that they are selling a classic racing Torana for $1m?

datto likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're getting old @datto - it's not that the areas improving, you're dropping your standards!

If it was a EH he might be interested ;)

datto likes this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You're kidding me. There was an LJ wreck sitting in a mate's front yard. When he got evicted the landlord took the car and threw his belongings onto the footpath.

Didn't think my standards could drop any further.

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Your cous growin up hey bruz ?

datto likes this.
  6. dabbler

When the VK's with the blue six and Borg Warners are going for a Mil plus, the Druitt will have made it big.

DaveM and datto like this.
  7. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

This run down building just sold for 1,1m at auction yesterday, the best thing it has going for it is granny flat potential. Its close to the rail way line... but also very close to the city centre, so surely the buyer is spending for the potential and not for the immediate ROI

Listing:
    17 Lander Avenue, Blacktown NSW 2148 - House For Sale - 2013518546

Map of where it is:
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...e27e3fed8cff94!8m2!3d-33.7647261!4d150.905673

Makes a lot of the other 1m+ in Blacktown look cheap!

It will be interesting to see what happens to this City, I wonder why they don't name change to Black City ;)

Edit: This place just sold for $942k, fresh reno and includes a granny flat in a not very desirable part of Blacktown, interesting!

RetireRich101 likes this.
  8. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

As close to station potential to rezone??

9. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

WTF is with Blacktown. Know some purchased in the Lander st for mid 400k few years back, bigger block. I would think that property at most is worth 800k. It is zoned R2 and no plans for higher zoning.

The Sullivan one is also crazy. The house on 560m2 without the granny probably worth 650-700k. The cost to build that GF is 130k, so Adding the GF does add value in a rising/boom market and I have seen many examples in west sydney

10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I think granny flats still make economic sense in a flat or declining market. The yields are generally fabulous and so really good for cashflow. Just need to make sure construction price is right to avoid valuation issues.

11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

You get people paying well over the odds for the manuals, who wants the 3 speed traumatic

12. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Ticks boxes I guess, throw in a bit of speculation excitement and people go crazy!

• Doesn't have the same stigma it once did
    • Relatively affordable
    • Council is very serious about lifting the look and value of the CBD
    • Major train station and also very good access to major roads
    • The linchpin and centrepiece of "the west" but geographically it is really "north west" and close to nice areas -> scope for gentrification, which is slowly happening
    • Slowly becoming a major part of Sydney, and council has been much more open to high density living in the city centre, if you combine design excellence requirements with proper planning, there could be a very vibrant CBD with a prettier skyline in only 5-10 years!
    • Lots of migrant families want to stay in Western Syd, close to the ethnic stores, family and friends, and are less motivated than generational Aussies to go to "nicer places"
    • Investors love the idea of STILL being able to find cashflow+ places, although this is only possible with a granny flat / duplex with current conditions.
    • Big blocks still possible to find, so quite a lot of people are purchasing and building nice big homes in a rapidly improving area, why pay through the roof for 400m2 in Kellyville when you can get 700m2 in a geographically better location with the trade off of a dwindling stigma and a higher probability of undesirable neighbours.. Some parts might be at risk for crime, but in general the place is nice (I live there).
    The number 1 thing it is lacking is motivated developers, there is a lot of caution in regards to developing Blacktown for high rise!

Disclaimer: I am both well versed in the area but also biased, so take what I say with a grain of salt, it is still Blacktown after all!!

RetireRich101 and S1mon like this.
  13. dabbler

I would get dats to source a used NOS system from the night markets and a powerglide to get the most from the VK 6, what a beast....dump exhaust too for that extra sporty growl.

Grab a few spare steelies too so can do burn outs all night and impress my esteemed peers.

A mil there is nuts.....but gockies been talking it up.

datto likes this.
  14. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

sheesh million big ones - sure didn't take long at all in this current cycle, not sure whats what anymore - maybe median $1m in penrith soon? here's hoping in next 3mths hohoho

15. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Common thought, most people associate the word blacktown with "old rundown houses & crime worse than other parts of Syd", there's plenty of nice parts to it, quite a few nice homes now too and there's parts of it that are quite popular.

16. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Blacktown suburb median is still 650k. Just some properties closer to CBD and better location command closer to the $M mark.

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep, I like Blacktown. Owner occupiers are choosing to live around there, it's convenient, it's got trains, it's relatively affordable and things are happening. Quite a few migrants with professional jobs end up there or near there.

But I can't suggest its the time to buy now.

18. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

I like blacktown too as it will be a hub in many years

19. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder what would happen if a suburb was called whitetown

20. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Close to Parramatta, Future Airport and the nice leafy north west. Close to m2, m7 and m4. This place has space to grow.

I like that council wants to introduce a University campus, it will help differentiate the area from Parramatta (its older brother) and if done correctly, a university can really make the place more vibrant/cultural long term.

I still think council needs to focus strongly on points of differentiation, rather than just going for only high density living and "we want commercial places in the CBD" so far it seems like these would be things such as:
    • Sporting and outdoor recreational value, with the showgrounds, zoo, featherdale, West syd AFL/Soccer teams, expanded Bungaribee, Rooty Hill sports place, etc.
    • Attract people from surrounding suburbs, For example the RSL club/Rock climbing gym developed into a very attractive centre with things such as a swimming pool, rock climbing, gyms, rooftop gardens and restaurants with a view, etc. This will bring in people during daytime.
    • Night attractions can be focused around the future development of the Kmart (close to rooftop Westpoint, which is already popular) and along Flushcombe road, El Jannah's needs another popular joint or 2 in its vicinity and this will by itself cause the momentum to build. Having events near and around the library will probably accelerate this.
    • Very specific/niche types of business, if council can attract 1 or 2 major world-class business tenants to it, especially in growing industries, blacktown could be known for more than what it is now. Perhaps a major medical software producing company, etc?
    • Walkable/bikeable space and easy access, this is getting rarer in Syd, so its nice to see they are making big bike paths etc, if they design it well from now, it will pay itself off eventually as Blacktown gradually becomes much more desirable.
    I seriously think if they focus on these points of differentiation from now, it will cost them less to get the ball rolling and long term it will provide a lot more value. Its good to allow high density living on the north side of the station. There's also scope to mix in some creativity, the Officeworks site in particular is huge and they might be able to do a mixed hotel/high rise/road access through it. Their plan with the university campus on Warrick lane is ambitious but probably very expensive in the short term, they need to focus on more things to bring people's attention to Blacktown as a desirable place to be, and I don't mean desirable for the KMART midnight shopping...

Gockie likes this.