18 reasons why property prices will fall further

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by JohnPropChat, 28th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    "Most Australians living in a mirage created by Peter Dutton's high immigration and high, unsustainable property prices.
    NSW earns just $146 and Victoria only $75 average per week more than SA employees.
    This piddling extra to Sydney and Melbourne doesn't compensate for 3 hours travel time, fuel and stress to crawl 30 kilometres to work per day.
    Nor does it compensate for exorbitant weekly mortgage payments in Sydney ($699) and Melbourne ($611) compared to $454 pw in Adelaide.
    South Australians enjoy more disposable income, much more quality time for themselves and their families and recently voted the 5th most liveable city in the world".

Sydney is without doubt the most overrated capital city in Australia. Australians think so as well, which is why net interstate migration for NSW is always negative and has been increasing.

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    It will be for rents in a few years ....

ChrisP73 likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The next 15 years will be the proof in the pudding. But as grotesque as Syd and Melb may be, it's still in massive demand overall. That's all that matters. What the masses generally want, not the few ( relatively speaking).

Cmelderis and berten like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

100% agree . After the massive growth and wealth we've accumulated...and yet ppl are shocked 10, 15% drops. More in otp... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's very mild considering.

MTR, MC1, JohnPropChat and 1 other person like this.
  5. berten

berten Well-Known Member

For sure, I agree. It shouldn’t be surprising, but many havnt experienced a correction this size. And i guess we don’t know where it stops yet.

I think the fixation on Syd and Melb, at least for me, is their size, both in terms of market share and their overshoot in value. It’s fair to say any big drops in such obese markets will have effects on the general economy.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Correct. Stay where you are.

7. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Well, Sydney is the most beautiful big city in Australia and it is Australia's commercial hub. It has a great climate, and it will always attract lots of people, in particular from over seas. And this is Sydney's big advantage. Sydney has "wow".

On the downside, it is a chaotic and pooly planned city with under developed public transport. And for a city of its size, it's a bit boring in terms of night life, which is a bit sad.

Someone on this thread said that Sydney real estate is just a demographic "ponzi scheme", with people pouring in, papering over lots of underlying problems. This is a fair point.

From a real estate perspective, it is as boring as it gets and a very forgiving real estate market.

gty12 likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree mate .

I guess it also depends when ppl bought. what's a 80% gain on multiple properties for 1 person could be a loss of equity on a few props if bought at peak prices and poor locations for another. That's why 1 person's doom can be another person's delightful day.

berten likes this.
  9. Deck

Deck Well-Known Member

if you have 5mil to spend on a nice place North, else it ****** West

10. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

People shocked cos they were told it’d be flat/1-2% down. lmao

11. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I'd live in Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane. I would consider Darwin short term if a high paying role came along but I would never live in Tasmania or Sydney.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Anyone who believed it would correct 2% well.......:rolleyes:

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Well you can get a nice place in the East for waay less than 5mil.

14. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

Let’s put a warning out there for all the lurkers: this forum is heavily invested in real estate and price forecast predictions will be very optimistic on the whole

15. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    Have you been reading the thread at all? Paints a pretty bleak picture if you ask me

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Winners and losers

For those who road the boom cycles in Oz happy days

It will be a shock for those who have purchased close to peak, as their capital will shrink

Sackie likes this.
  17. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Hahahaha.

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I have said from day 1, I believe alot of people get into trouble when investing simply because they fail to learn the basics and make silly, easily avoidable mistakes. Yes no one has a crystal ball and we all make boo boos from time to time. But they can be significantly reduced by simply learning the basics and some fundamental keys to follow to reduce significant risks .

Its really like most things in life ...youll get out of it as much as you put in.

wilso8948 and kierank like this.
  19. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I would clarify. This forum has become a pessimistic and dark place in respect to property . So much negativity.

So many who are not even in Sydney and Melbourne non stop pumping negativity.

It's depressing.

Very few are posting opportunities. If you do you hat slammed by a vocal minority who **** you down.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

. The experienced investors will be able to differentiate the nonsense from substance but for newbies wanting to learn ..its a little bit like a minefield atm.

Last edited: 28th Feb, 2019
    DrunkSailor likes this.
  21. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Yep.

IMO Syd and melb downturn will present great opportunities for folks positioned to buy with and bit of luck (experience I’m sure will increase luck) timing their entry point.

These two markets don’t pull back to this degree often. I reckon there’s a bit of downward momentum left, so no rush as yet.

Last edited: 28th Feb, 2019
    Sackie likes this.