13.5 metre wide lot - too narrow for two storey townhouses?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Dapa, 1st Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dapa

Dapa Active Member

Hi all, I'm looking at a couple of lots for three / four bed townhouses. One of these is 13.5metres wide and 65 metres long, nice and flat, no easements and FSR of 0.9. Townhouse developments next door and over the road.

A few ticks in the box however compared to its neighbours this lot is narrow, most are around 15 metres wide +. Before I invest time in planners, negotiations with agents etc does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is too narrow? I'm aiming for 3 or 4 two storey, three bed two bath townhouses and don't want to compromise the design by trying to squeeze these onto narrow lots where solar access, parking / turning or privacy become too much of an issue.

Any thoughts? Is this lot narrow just compared to it's neighbours or is it too narrow to bother looking at?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Read the LEP & DCP

3. 6993

6993 Active Member

What council is it under?
    From design point of view it is narrow.. 15m or more would be good

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

It might be achievable on sites that allow building to boundary on one side.

5. Dapa

Dapa Active Member

Cheers Scott, done that and it complies, that was my first port of call. There is also a lapsed DA on the site. My question was more, has anyone achieved a good result on a site of those dimensions or was the design overly compromised. Having now been given the lapsed DA documentation the answer to the compromised design is yes. Rather than look to re-design I'll move on.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Dapa - it'd probably yield 6 x 3/2/2 terrace stule t/h with basement parking. All subject to the feaso stacking up.

7. Peter P

Peter P Well-Known Member

What was the minimum frontage for townhouses? 13.5m seems narrow

I got a 1400m2 (15m frontage x 95m) in Bankstown city council. Their minimum frontage is 20m. Negotiated around the specs. Strict council. Was told it was a no go for townhouses.

8. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

No way.

Only need about 4.8m - 5.2m width per dwelling to be realisitic about room widths.

9. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Ask the council.
    Ask a draftsman.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.