12.5m high - 4 stories?

Discussion in 'Development' started by mcarthur, 8th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I have a site that is zoned for 12.5m height in Moreton Bay. There doesn't appear to be a limit to the number of stories, just the height.
    Has anyone done a 4 story build in this envelope? Because of the views available, I was hoping to get two upper floors with views rather than just one floor with views if it was 3 story.
    Now the land is flat and the slab would have to be at least 100-200mm off the ground for inundation control.
    In theory I can see a 2.4m ground floor, then 300mm floor, then 2.4m 1st floor, then 300mm floor etc.
    ie. 0.2m off ground + 2.4 + 0.3 +2.4 + 0.3 +2.7 + 0.3 + 2.7 + 0.5 (flat roof for terrace) = 11.8m, which leaves 0.7 as a ballustrade height on the roof terrance to make up the 12.5m.

Of course I'll talk to the town planner and get serious architectural/engineering advice, but wondering if anyone has done anything like this before?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

2.4-2.5m floor to floor + 200mm flat plate slabs, possibly thinner if you go for prestress/post-tension. This should yield 4.8 floors - a bit of creative design to get the levels to work with subterranean parking should achieve 5 storeys.

Need to pay attention to the fsr & what is included or excluded eg parking, stairs, lifts, storage etc.

mcarthur likes this.
  3. mcarthur

Oh wow. I thought 4 was pushing it! 5 would be an entirely new ballgame (lifts, etc)...

From the MBRC:
    Then there is a table showing 12m = "indication of stories" of 3.

Also I got the height wrong - it's 12m not 12.5m, so that probably rules out 5 stories entirely unless the bottom-most is more subterranean for parking. Sorry Scott.

4. Scott No Mates

0.6 m below grade isn't necessarily the end of the world. Design the basement with a dual pump stormwater pit.

Get the envelope approved under the maximum fsr for the site, S96 for an additional floor or additional units under the same roof.

mcarthur likes this.
  5. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

What is the size of your land?
    I also have a site 600 m2 in Melbourne within high density zoning with height restriction of 12m. I am thinking of developing it in 2-3 years time as soon as I have the fund. Have you done the initial feasibility study?

mcarthur likes this.
  6. mcarthur

It's 405sqm, but in an odd situation with zoning not matching prior use (which is separately rentable flats upstairs and downstairs).

Zoning is next generation neighbourhood (who comes up with these names?!).

The area won't provide the return if I do the development now, so I'm getting ready for some years to come. I'm wondering whether getting the plans done now and going to council is actually worth it at this time - money outlaid just to sit in the cupboard for years? I haven't even done the DD for how long the approval would last for! I suppose the plans through council would count for a bit if I needed to sell in a hurry...

Iamnumber5 likes this.
  7. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Yep - as we are finding out, it is the need to comply with parking requirements that is the main limitation on what you can do.

If you managed to fit 10 units on the site then you would need something like 14 car spaces that can enter and leave forwards. Can be hard to achieve.

mcarthur likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Is a turntable an option?

9. Iamnumber5

If the location is within activity centre zone, council is quite linient with having less parking space as they encourage the use of public transport. Having spoken to the local council town planner, he suggested to give one year worth of myki card to entice buyers.

mcarthur likes this.
  10. Iamnumber5

The approval generally last for 2 years, so if you are not thinking of developing it anytime soon I don't think there is any need to apply for it. Especially if you think there is no return on the development, coz whoever the potential buyer is wont see any additional value on the permit.

mcarthur likes this.
  11. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Or a car lift. You might need a double storey basement if its 600 m2?

12. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Pretty certain the Next Gen zone doesn't allow basement carparks......