10 IPs by 25 - My Investing Journey

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by Jmillar, 13th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi Sash,

I never got advice from mentors re where to buy etc - more overall strategy advice.

I would like to have a more diverse portfolio from a geographical point of view, but I don't for a couple reasons:
    1) I didn't believe it was the right time to buy into Sydney in the past year or so
    2) I bought in areas I knew, and where the numbers stacked up
    3) I didn't have time to learn new areas (would have liked to buy some in Melbourne)
    4) I refuse to buy in regional towns etc

I am conscious of having too many eggs in one basket, so this is something I plan to change eventually. But I'm working very long hours at the moment and earning a high income so my time is better focused there for now.

Cheers!

2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

OK ta....think you are on the right...avoid concentration of risk..in one area..over time it has been proven it can being people undone.

Best of luck.:)

Jmillar likes this.
  3. icic

icic Well-Known Member

@Jmillar well done on your achievements! You are doing especially well for your age!
    In regard your decision to sell and flip, it could be a very costly exercise with stamp duty and capital gains tax not to mention the time, effort and expense for sourcing new properties and finance.
    Also bear in mind that you might not be able to borrow the same amount after you sold it because of the APRA change. Make sure that you are not in the position that you can not buy again after you sold those properties.
    There are at times that the best way forward is to do nothing at all but wait.

4. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

Killing it JM. Well done and thanks for sharing.

5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Interesting not directly related.
    But when you know you know.

[​IMG]
    A:
    Billionaire investor Warren Buffett famously stated that "diversification is protection against ignorance. It makes little sense if you know what you are doing."

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I think you need to red more of about the Wozza.....you need to understand what he says in context...

7. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I agree it' t broad and not necessarily what he. Means.
    But some diversity for the sake of it.

If you understand a market your young you should double down your efforts and put eggs into that basket.

Sash you yourself is doing alot IN Geelong. What if told you, you should diversify. I think you know what you are doing in Geelong. I think you know why you are concentrating their now and for some. Time

8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I realize that I will have 5 in Geelong...but will sell 2....

As for Melbourne I am also planning to sell down 1 in Wyndam council....as have 2 there.already....1 in the North...1 in the Northwest..and 1 on the Southeast...and 3 in Geeling....

I am already diversified in Brisbane 22% of holdings....NSW 26% of holdings....VIC (Geelong/Melbourne) 32% of holdings....Adelaide 10% of holdings...Perth 10% of holdings.

The funny thing is next cycle i will be overweight in NSW again....that is how cycles work.....

9. Kickstart

Kickstart Active Member

Well done!Thank you for sharing.

10. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Well done! I'm pretty sure in my early 20's I was putting all my money into my car...

11. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member

Amazing achievement!

12. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Can't believe I hadn't read this sooner. Makes me wonder what I'm doing with myself, haha!

13. BradH

BradH Member

Incredible achievement, so much hard work has gone into your success by the sounds of it.

I’m totally new to all this property investing and was hoping someone could explain what people are talking about when they say they have ran out of serviceability, I thought I would ask here instead of making a new thread.

14. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Having the required amount of income to pay down your loans under the Banks criteria.

mc.tram and BradH like this.
  15. LouisVuitton

LouisVuitton Well-Known Member

Hey, how's your portfolio looking now? :)

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.