1.6% discount by Westpac

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Omnidragon, 29th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

The discount is great. How does that stack up vs advice of spreading your loans to various lenders for asset protection purposes?

2. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

It may represent a high % off SVR, but it's not exactly amazing in terms of actual end rate comparatively if you're only focused on rate - and considering the exposure requirements. Still plenty of lenders playing at this rate level and lower.

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Just wondering if any one has had 4.3% approved on IP loans...as a variable rate.

I just got this approved......looking to take this to CBA, STG, and SunCorp to the match the rate.

No PPOR was in in the mix....

4. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

Nope. Which bank @sash ?

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Westpac.

6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I've done better with CBA recently @sash. Key questions: LVR and total borrowings?

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

So what did CBA give off....borrowings North of $1.6m...

8. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

Are you saying you've done better than 1.57% discount on an investment loan with CBA? That would be equivalent to being better than 1.65% at Westpac given their SVR IS 8 basis points higher.

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2015
    Jamie Moore likes this.
  9. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Sorry to confuse @Hockey Monkey, that was in reference to:

10. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Are we talking about ppor or ip rate with Cba? Ppor rate at sub 4.3 yes....ip rate unlikely.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  11. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

As a variable rate that is very good for an IP loan with CBA. I've got that fixed for some clients but not variable. As you say there must be very significant borrowings with a very low LVR.

12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

That's my experience too Jamie.

13. Watson1

Watson1 Well-Known Member

Can't see many banks beating 4.30% for an investment loan.

I would say you have already done very well for only 1.6m loan.

Why are you looking at alternatives when you are not looking for a better deal?

14. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

maximum I'm seeing for CBA is 1.37% = 4.50% for IP / 4.23% PPr

If you can do better, I'd appreciate seeing it in writing

15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I was chatting with a client last week, she mentioned a friend of hers works for a major bank and is enjoying a 1.6% discount as a staff member.

I pointed that this is essentially a way the bank guarantees loyalty in its employees. It's essentially a 0.3% discount on what else is generally available. For a $400k loan it's costing the bank about $1,200 a year but people are still reluctant to switch jobs even though they might be paid significantly more than the loyalty discount.

16. Watson1

Watson1 Well-Known Member

Yep, the largest discount I have heard when speaking to cba RM was 1.48% for a $4.5m+ loan when we spoke about pricing which is still well above 4.30%.

1.36% is standard for CBA now for investment loans at 80%.

I think capped discount is ~1.36% and anything above needs state manager approval based on my recent experiences.

With employer discounts, I have yet to see a bank employee who has been able to obtain a discount greater than what has been offered to broker with the only exception Macquarie. Most of the discounts with employers are non negotiable and they receive a fixed discount and annual fee waived. They are generally eligible for 90% loans which is the one true benefit based on my past experience. With FBT, gone are the days bank employees obtain favourable discounts from their employers.

We see more than our fair share of bank employees and I am sure other brokers have written loans for bank employees so it would be interesting to see if others have seen large discounts provided to employees as honestly I haven't seen a fantastic rate except for one instance.

Most common scenario is that they are offered a 1% discount and waived annual fee.

17. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

Cba staff get best rate available to the public and as you said no annual fee no LMI to 90%

18. Hockey Monkey

So was my quote. Are you saying you got better than 4.3% on an investment loan from CBA? My experience (and it appears everyone else's) is quite a distance from that level of discounting regardless of amount or LVR.

19. Hockey Monkey

It is crazy that employees can't even get the level of discounting seen by their customers.

My BOM RM supposedly skipped his employee package (opted out of the no annual fee) and instead asked to be treated like his customers in a competitive environment to get a better rate. Had to get state manager approval.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Interesting...
    My take is that the discounts wont guarantee staff loyalty as you are 95% likely to be able to continue with that rate once you cease employment with the bank (I'm working for CBA and I am 99% certain they won't change the rates if/when I leave).

I believe the rates i'm offered are pretty sharp, but then again, you can get great (even better) rates with other lenders too. The catch is, the other lenders you'd be turning to may only be relatively well known to brokers and not to the general public though.