$1.1m PPOR in Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Pinkmarjory, 31st Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Pinkmarjory

Pinkmarjory Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone!

Me and my partner are looking for a PPOR $1.1m 10-20km around CBD area.

A little background about ourselves:

-Couple income earners of $230k PA

-I bought my first PPOR in Liverpool 1bed apartment in 2017(planning to turn this into IP), so now wanting to trying out to buy near the middle ring

-I work near Newtown/ Camperdown area on 12hour shift so somewhere driveable/ good public transport is a must. Partner is a tradesman and works almost everywhere, he gets assigned anywhere.

-we have 18month old bub, looking for a suburb with good school catchment area

-I know that there’s more money pouring into the greater western Sydney, but I read that scarcity of land near/around CBD brings greater CG in the future (correct me if I’m wrong?) so, we’re looking for a property that will have greater CG in the future.

Options:

1. 3-4bedroom house in a “fixer upper” Arncliffe area (I read that in 5-10 years there’s a major overhaul of Arncliffe train station/shops area). it’s only 5 stops from CBD
    2. 3 bedroom house in Bexley, we like that it’s more family friendly, bigger backyard, leafy street. I also read from an article about the price growth of property in the area. However, having heard about the chaotic traffic due to the recently built M8 is giving us second thoughts.
    3. Any suggestions to other suburbs that fits our criteria is highly appreciated.

Thank you all!

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think Bexley and Arncliffe are good options, I don’t know of anything better that would fit. I’m not so sure about the good school catchment requirement/want though. A different option, maybe buy Bexley/Arncliffe now and consider moving while bub is partway through primary (year 4ish?) or hope your kid/s are smart enough to get into an OC class then try to get into a selective high?

I do know of a family that where living around Hurstville and ended up moving to North Sydney though because their kid got into North Sydney Boys.

Pinkmarjory likes this.
  3. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

3 bed in Bexley would be fine. I'd also look at Bangor, Menai, Jannali for that budget with a young family.

- Andrew

Pinkmarjory likes this.
  4. Pinkmarjory

Thank
    thank you

5. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Some random observations:

Not sure of too many 'good school' catchments based on naplan/etc measurements in the Arncliffe pocket. That may be a downside if that's the measure of good schooling. There is a lot of development likely to happen over time on east side - much of Arncliffe east has been rezoned in 2018-19, and the cranes are now starting to show. Its a good thing if you want gentrification to the area, better schooling over time, etc - the west side is probably where you may find more detached housing without R3/R4 zoning price premiums.

Bexley North will likely be the best of them school wise, but a little away from public transport. Nice community feel too. $1.1m may be beginning to stretch it for a 3bdr home now - not sure of supply there. If you don't drive to work and need public transport, that may make it a bit difficult as its in between a lot of the stations.

6. Pinkmarjory

Thank you for that, very informative. Just downloaded the rezoning map in Bayside council and researched more about it.

bexley north is already out of our budget.