Entertainment & Music 007

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Truly Exotic, 13th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

From the lady's perspective about the movies:

James Bond of the 60s and 70s was a very one-dimensional character. The movies were intended for a male dominated audience or for those who find artistic value in the Carry-On movies of the same era.

The brand has been updated, naturally, and encompasses the usual visual delights and SFX expected in the Gaming era. I have noticed the Daniel Craig movies are intended to appeal to a broad market - there is something for most ages and genders. The supporting characters like M, Q and Moneypenny have real roles. Bond's character is far more dimensional than he used to be. The Love Interest this time has blonde hair, a regular bra size and a PhD and of course she is screwed up psychologically. Don't you love stereotypes. There is a developing story-line whereas the earlier movies could be viewed as one-offs, even if a sprinkling of characters, such as Jaws and Top Hat (?) were in more than one film.

I cant speak for anyone else here, but I prefer the three recent movies in that they seem more believable than any of the older ones. Even in childhood I recognised that the plots were way over the top. Viewing them recently on TV has confirmed my suspicions that the older films must have been produced as pure eye-candy, which I don't believe would appeal as much to our generally better educated post-Whitlam audiences.

I suspect, though, that I may not like Spectre as much the next time I see it. Experience tells me that I pick out all the corny bits the second time around.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree with Angel - watching old Bond movies (esp Roger and Sean) the movies are very - a chase in an odd location - obviously staged biffo that went on for ages - bed every girl in sight girl - and that was about it.

At least with Daniel, he comes across as a real person with strengths and weakness, he is capable of emotion and being hurt - and the secondary characters are also fleshed out.

Sure he's not as "suavely" handsome, of the times, as the other Bonds, and his hair gets mussed up - which makes him more real - and more appealing to the female populace

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I somewhat disagree...from a guys perspective, every bond must have some essential ingredients: namely to bed every girl in sight (including the bad guys GF), drive fast cars, the toys and action scenes, the locations ( sorry but Melbourne or brisbane just ain't gonna cut it).. Can you ever imagine bond be seen in Melbourne /brisbane..shock and horror...well perhaps brisbane, yes :)

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Watching any dated movie you can easily find flaws with.
    Did people think the old Hercules was good graphics at the time?
    What about American Werewolf in London? Pretty woeful watching it now.
    Even Trainspotting has dated pretty badly.

5. House

House Well-Known Member

Well then... He just turned down $120m for two more movies!

I'm done as 007, Daniel Craig tells Bond movie bosses

"The Night Manager star Tom Hiddleston trails behind in second with odds of 2-1, with Tom Hardy, Idris Elba, Henry Cavill and Damian Lewis making up the rest of the list."

Have been watching The Night Manager and think Hiddleston would be a decent choice.
    Apparently Poldark's Aidan Turner is the favorite. Wee little Leprechaun playing international spy :p

Sure if Zed from the Zardoz movie can be Bond...
    image.jpeg
    (Yes that is Connery!)

MTR likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OMG...needs some waxing

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2016
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Cheese n rice!
    I don't think I've ever seen that before.
    Pretty sure I don't want to see it again either.