Zoning

Discussion in 'Development' started by Kashmir, 5th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kashmir

Kashmir Well-Known Member

Another question, if government has marked it for future potential - could this in any way indicate they'd like or rather want to buy the property? (I don't suppose this would be as lucrative then as having it sold to a developer)

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

We have just purchased two adjoining IP's for this reason. I have the feeling that one of the neighbours who is already upset about having tenants next door is going to go into a coma in a few years when we demolish the existing houses and build a 3 storey apartment.

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I'd like to buy out my neighbour but I need at least a million dollars.

4. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

I just checked the Blacktown councils zoning for the street I use to live on and it is marked as R2 (Low Density Residential). However there are townhouses all over that area. How can that be?

5. Kashmir

Kashmir Well-Known Member

Where did you check the zone?
    I use this
    https://maps.planningportal.nsw.gov.au/Map

6. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

7. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

@Sashatheman, Blacktown historical they allow townhouses/villa to be built anywhere that you have lot size for. It was all scattered over the places.. This is not allowed now, since the draft/new planning came about, or even in previous 2006 DCP was adapted.

Sashatheman likes this.
  8. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Same as Gosford Council. Prior to 2014 dual occs could be done in a residential zone. They removed that when the new LEP came in.

Bizarre decision.

9. Shiv

Shiv New Member

Hi Kashmir, new here and found this old thread you had started on the subject of R3 zoning. I am looking at a property that has been zoned R3 in Kellyville. The land sizes are around 400 sqm on this street and all houses built in 2000s. Nearby streets are R2 with slightly bigger (10-20 sqm) plots.

When a lot is converted from R2 from R3 it is beneficial in the sense that it lets you build more on the same lot. If it is already R3 is there an issue? And I compared sales of properties that sold in the last 6 months in the area. The sale of houses on R3 have sold for significantly lesser price than similar (also same lot size) houses on R2. This small area of Kellyville has quite a few streets of R3 and R2 randomly twisted between each other. Norwest R3s are good examples too.

So should a property already zoned as R3 be valued at a discount since the planned medium density has already been achieved by means of denser freestanding homes (on the same lines as townhouses/duplexes) so no more potential for development (unless it can change to R4 :)? You would hardly be able to build any more denser than today even if a builder bought the whole street and knocked down the existing houses :)