Your worst IP purchase

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by meme plecko, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@Northy85 don't worry mate, I've purchased a premium report from Todd Hunter (Buyers Agent) and he mentioned that it is the good location now to buy, because it is starting to picking up the pace.

Ormeau and Upper Coomera is the way to go now for buying at the bottom of the market and then wait for CG to kick in after 5-10 years.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Tekoz likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My "worst" IP has only gone up by about 30k in 3 years (NSW regional). But its paying its own way and is CF+ so who cares.

Greyghost likes this.
  4. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@HUGH72
    Cool, so it is no longer becoming worse for you. Hopefully in the next 5-10 years Redbank Plains becomes blue chip:cool:.

5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

That might be pushing it but as long as the rent keeps rising I'll be happy.

6. meme plecko

meme plecko Well-Known Member

@Tekoz, what was your worst IP purchase so far? ;)

Tekoz likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Worst purchase was a unit in Mandurah. Bought for $206,000 (2003), sold for $257,000 (2013).
    What was wrong with it:
    - low capital growth area
    - low rental returns
    - strata manager very difficult to deal with
    - trouble finding tenants

It took me 5 years to realise I had bought a lemon. By then the property market in the area had collapsed, so I waited until a good time to sell and sold.

JohnPropChat and MWI like this.
  8. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@meme plecko yes, so far the worst one is doing-nothing just makes it worse :(...

I'll wait until 2016 when the interest rate is increased by RBA then buy in QLD area within Brisbane-Ipswich region.

With just $300k cannot buy any decent CF+ house except... you know the Park Ridge H&L Package which was rejected by my lender.

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Do you have cash to add to the $300k? Buy an older house or unit in good areas. Stop chasing H and L.

Tekoz likes this.
  10. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

Me too :( Except I paid $240k and decided to cut my losses and sold for $205k. It was supposed to be a future deve block, but it was costing a bomb in maintenance and hard to find tenants etc so I had two options: continue to sink money into it hoping for eventual cg or, painful as it was, crystallise the loss and move on.

The annoying thing is I did a lot of research... but it was all in the details. Couldn't see the forest for the trees. Lesson learned. Next time, pay attention to what's happening at a macro level first. If I did this back then, I would have bought in Sydney and not had such a huge opportunity cost.

Gingin likes this.
  11. mja

mja Well-Known Member

What part of Rocky?

12. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

Berserker. A block away from Stockland.

13. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

It depends on the size of the mortgage repayments, the age of the property, your ability to handle stress, and how much you earn via other means (eg your job) to build the size of the slushy fund. Around $10k per property is the norm, however something with less mortgage repayment burden might not require such a large slushy fund.

Seby643 likes this.
  14. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

For me just old homes that needs constant repairs. Its like a kinder surprise moment whenever I receive an email from the agent. It really feels like a blood hemorrhage on the cash flow but sure its going to be ok in the near future.

New Town likes this.
  15. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

A tenanted old house= just like a box of chocolates.

New Town likes this.
  16. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

I haven't had anything that doesn't make positive returns. Although some make less than others so I'd consider them poor investments.

One such lesser performing property is also the subject of JV dispute, which is quite bizarre for such a simple investment. Another, which I recently sold, barely registered over 50% cap gains over 5 years which is quite poor also. These two are probably the worst. Of course, with high leverage, even a 50% return can translate into multiples of your initial capital. But with leverage also comes much higher risk.

Corkey likes this.
  17. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

I hear you. It's not so much the loss as the opportunity cost. I wish I knew then (in 2011) what I knew then. Wouldn't have bought a report from Terry Ryder and bought a place that is now worth a bit less than I paid for it when I could have made a motza just by adding a property in Sydney.

I'm hoping to be able to sell it next year but still not a good time atm. Most annoying thing is that it's gone from CF neutral to negative due to drop in rent.

18. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

not 100% happy with the country stuff we own, great learning experience but not particularly useful right now, would be better in 10 years when we have excess cash we need to park, the % return is good but the CG is rubbish.

although thanks to recent lending in someways a lot of our investments are annoying as although we are CF + by a decent margin and ok in cash, we can't get our own house.

19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Don't wait too long, you don't want to find that prices have moved and you can no longer afford a decent property.

20. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Why do you want to wait until IR rises?