House & Home Your treechange/acreage/backyard menagerie

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Westminster, 14th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I was admiring @austing 's chooks but didn't want to derail the Thornhill thread anymore than I already have and ask him what they were - I'm thinking a Wyandotte?

I'm collecting information about what animals I'm going to get for when we move out to the 10 acres in a few months.

I'm curious what others have and how they are finding them.

We've previously owned Indian Runner ducks and Isa Brown chooks and rooster.

I want eggs and something to help with the mowing :)

My marvellous menagerie plans are:
    - Damara Sheep: these are hair sheep that don't require shearing, crutching or mulesing
    - chooks: probably Wyandottes as they are pretty and less nervous
    - alpacas: I'd like 2 to help be herd guards and protect my little farmlings from foxes and snakes

We currently have a Weimaraner dog and will add to the domesticated animal front when we go out there too.

Redwing, Perthguy, Hodor and 3 others like this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I had goats for a day but the dogs kept trying to get into their pen. Finally made it and one got injured :(

3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The chickens are heritage breeds Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red and Australorp. All are docile and not nervous or flighty. They also like human company.

Westminster likes this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

How about Araucanians and their pretty eggs?
    I'm thinking of chicken once we have some backyard... doesn't need acreage... maybe one day

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

That's the other breed we wanted but they didn't have any at the time. Another lovely natured bird.

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The girls below are our pets:
    IMG_0190.JPG

7. Westminster

They sound like my kind of chooks. I need ones which are a bit more bullet proof as the dog will want to be their friend and a more nervous breed will freak out.

I've heard of them but I don't know their temperament - I will look into it.

We had chickens and ducks in our suburban backyard. They were great. There are plenty of urban foxes (and cats) so you still need to make sure they have a secure cage to keep them safe.

ellejay, Perthguy and EN710 like this.
  8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Meant to add that because the chooks are our pets we wanted heritage breeds because they are long lived. Some neighbours have heritage breed chooks 14 years old.

ellejay, WattleIdo and MTR like this.
  9. Westminster

I like how your pen is moveable but seems to have a good side barrier to stop anything digging into it. Did you make it yourself?
    Our last pen was basically a 4 sided cube with the bottom made out of strong mesh so nothing could get in but the chooks could still peck and scratch through the wire/mesh

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Love the cage with wheels to menouvre to fresh grass.

Pigs, mrs wants em, can't eat em. Anyone own some?

11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

We don't free range our chickens as too many predators around. They have their fixed night cage which is extremely secure and the new mobile chicken tractor to keep them safe during the day.

MTR likes this.
  12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

When I have backyard it will still be quite small, so can't have many and for sure won't have duck... maybe the 3-4 bantams of the heritage breed. From reading heritage seem to have better consistency for egg and longer life. Thought of ISA but told that one day they can just drop dead (and can be fierce).

Thinking of this for the cage as it's small and easy to clean Eglu Go UP Chicken Coop | Chicken Keeping Equipment | Omlet but will look at several other options as well

13. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Thats one reason i dont have chooks currently is due to foxes. I have a chook pen already but its not got an apron around it to prevent under digging

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Barny likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I hate it when the kids get out.

16. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Our house has a cubby which our kids are a bit old for, so thinking about chickens too - just finding time!

17. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I wanted Indian runners, decided on chooks for ease. We keep a Barred Plymouth Rock, Araucana and Ancona - gives us brown, white and blue/green eggs. All were hatched by us so they are imprinted with us as their parents which makes them nice and tame. The Rock used to try and play fetch when throwing the ball with the dog.

Goats would be on my list of pets if on 10 acres and maybe some geese for the lawn.

You haven't even mentioned your veggie patch and fruit orchards.

A distillery, cidery, brewery and small vineyard are probably needed as well to help relax after a long day.

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

19. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Pigs are wonderful animals and make great pets.

However. Don't get one. They are very high maintenance and destroy paddocks. They love digging, and their foot structure compacts the earth. So you will end up with nothing but mud, and hard earth.
    You will also need to reinforce your fencing. You need solid fences to have any chance of keeping them in. Ring lock won't survive.

They are social animals and very smart.

Blacky

20. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I just sold my last alpaca.... too high maintenance with needles four times a year! On top of the usual shearing, toenail, teeth, feeding aspect.

Although probably worth it as a guard animal! Just wasn't worth the hassle for a paddock ornament.

Just the one horse for me at the moment

21. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Local scrub turkeys. Sometimes in my yard, sometimes elsewhere. 20170413_080629.jpg

EN710 likes this.