Your target retirement capital and income

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by Realist35, 8th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jimmy

jimmy Well-Known Member

Any chance of a quick run down on your expenses for the year? Pretty impressive living on only 25k

Terry_w likes this.
  2. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Any chance you could post your spreadsheet with these figures

GoldCoastBound likes this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely. I ran the numbers but have not had a chance to look at them yet. In my mind, the bigger numbers are going to be groceries, transport (commuting) and utilities. It will be interesting to see if I am right.

ellejay and Momentum like this.
  4. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

Without kids and mortgage we would be under $25k, with 2 kids and mortgage our expenses are roughly just under $35k.

ellejay, Terry_w and Perthguy like this.
  5. Perthguy

That's really good with kids. I know people who spend that just on school fees!

6. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

Low income so we get a discount on school fees too, I think it costs us $100/year each.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

@Perthguy to live on so little you don't happen to hot bed in a display home :)

This bold new superstore in West Auckland is fast coming together for a ‘soft and slow’ opening on Monday 30 March 2020. The Nido sign is proudly displayed on the building which rises above its surroundings. This development is a tribute to the vision and sacrifice of Vinod Kumar, the key person behind bringing this 10 year plan to the start which is now just 17 days away!

This store will be like no other in NZ. It has a 170 sqm house built inside (fitted out with Nido products); a large commercial office space; a special technology space; 100 rooms displaying different furniture styles; advanced technology; a play area for the kids; and, of course, a Café which will seat 340 people.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

I did this in a hurry and I know there is at least one error: no car insurance so I'm not sure where that has gone. Will look into it when I get a chance.
    Own home
    2 adults
    2 mobile phones
    2 cars
    no personal debt

Clothing 174
    Computer 212
    Drivers Licence 299
    Entertainment 337
    Exercise 400
    Bank fees 15
    Groceries 4575
    Health 42
    Home insurance 779
    Household 242
    Interest 75 (accidental late credit card payment)
    Internet 733
    Medical 1908 (dentist and medical)
    Mobile Phone 202
    Motor vehicle maintenance 133
    Petrol 1769
    Rates 1641
    Home repairs 21
    Takeaway food 25
    Takeaway lunch/coffee 2585
    Transport 1083
    Travel 1366
    Utilities 4024
    Vehicle Registration 1471
    Total 24113

AMA

jimmy, Momentum, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  9. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Interesting to see you spent about 10% of your annual budget on takeaway lunch/coffee. Not having a dig, I also like like spending money on lunch/dinner and usually eat yum cha for lunch.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Update: found the car insurance.
    Own home
    2 adults
    2 mobile phones
    2 cars
    no personal debt

Car insurance 370
    Clothing 174
    Computer 212
    Drivers Licence 299
    Entertainment 337
    Exercise 400
    Bank fees 15
    Groceries 4575
    Health 42
    Home insurance 779
    Household 242
    Interest 75 (accidental late credit card payment)
    Internet 733
    Medical 1908 (dentist and medical)
    Mobile Phone 202
    Motor vehicle maintenance 133
    Petrol 1769
    Rates 1641
    Home repairs 21
    Takeaway food 25
    Takeaway lunch/coffee 2585
    Transport 1083
    Travel 1366
    Utilities 4024
    Vehicle Registration 1471

Updated total 24483

spludgey, Beano, HUGH72 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Perthguy

Definitely a good observation. I haven't actually sat down and looked at these numbers yet. Too much going on. I would normally buy coffee and lunch on every work day. Coffee ranges from $2.50 to $4. Lunch ranges from $5 to around $14.

I work (on average) around 230 days per year (I think). So that would mean I spend (on average) $11.23 for every work day.

I also spend $1083 on public transport commuting.

If I took my own lunch and cycled to work, I could save $3668 but would need to factor in taking my lunch for home (say $5), so back to up $1150 and also quit coffee. Spoiler: I'm not quitting coffee, so I'm back up $575 (ouch).

Takeaway lunch + coffee ($2585) vs lunch from home + coffee ($1725) is only $860 a year difference. Factor in my time to prepare lunch and I would say it's a break even.

Switching to cycle commuting would have a much greater benefit than the $1083 saving. I current barely exercise and cycling is a good 40 to 50 minutes a day and it takes around the same time as commuting. So I'm basically getting free exercise (from a time commitment point of view) and saving money at the same time. win/win.

)

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

@Perthguy I want to know how I can reduce our clothing and shoes budget to your amount. We have dress codes where we both work and op shop supplies wont cut it, especially shoes. Have you factored in your partner's lunches and coffee too?

Perthguy likes this.
  13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I do savers/opshop pants and my polo shirts are freebies from various companies (I call them my "sponsors" in the class room ~ they did "sponsor" the freebie polo shirt after all!)

I do buy my sox and jox new tho...... :cool:

The Y-man

ellejay likes this.
  14. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

When I worked in my office guvvie job I usually wore op shop clothes (except shoes and undies). I have wardrobes full of gorgeous, very smart op shop clothes I couldn't justify buying new. Shoes and most other stuff usually Kmart except for the odd treat.

Perthguy likes this.
  15. The Y-man

Good point - Rivers (on special ~$20 max $25) for my footwear :D

The Y-man

ellejay likes this.
  16. The Y-man

Being in Melb however, my outerwear is actually quite extensive and relatively expensive!

I don't skimp on breathable raincoats, synthetic and down jacket/vests, merino warmth layers, gloves (3 different pairs for different temp/wind chill) ...and a senz umbrella

The Y-man

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Perthguy

For work, I buy quality shirts when they are on sale. A few years ago you would have seen clothing a lot higher but then low again after that. It's important to look after the clothes too. For my work shirts, quality poly cotton, cold wash with cold power (hot water breaks down the fabric) and only use fabric softener ever couple of washes (fabric softener breaks down fabric). Also, I run 4 weeks of work shirts 12), which means they last for a long time. It's a bit of an intial cost but they last about 10 years.

I bought my last lot from Myer. Ftom memory $75 shirts were around $30.

For trousers I just buy them on sale from myer or target. Good quality poly cotton then only wash them when needed instead of every week. I run a few pairs like with shirts. They last longer.

For shoes, I bought nice work shoes half price at myer then didn't look after them and wrecked them in a couple of years. I was very annoyed with myself because they were nice shoes. Men should be running 2 pairs of shoes because they need time to dry properly between use or they get stinky and wear out faster. My current shoes are airflex I pickedup for $40 new. They are nice but they are wearing out faster than they should.

To get to work and home, I wear sneakers. I find them more comfortable than dress shoes and it makes the work shoes last longer.

Yes. My partner works out of home so eats out of the grocery spending. Having 2 people working office jobs would increase our spending a lot.

Also doesn't drink coffee so that's a big saving.

Which reminds me, neither of us smoke and we rarely drink alcohol. That cuts down spending a lot.

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have a $7 polo shirt in my locker to throw over my other sleeveless tops when I have to go up onto the oval or the basketball courts. That would be the most pleasant part - 40 degree heat in the sun but with a nice breeze after midday. Back in the classrooms, only half of which have AC, we have to wear business attire these days which isn't available in the localish op shops. The "nice" suburbs to the east of mine dont have any op shops, and those in the poorer bogan suburbs north, further away from the CBD, dont have any clothes there for people who are actually employed.

19. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Would you classify Bin 389 as a necessity / quaffer?

20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

In my books, it is essential for me to sustain life :D.

Mooser and Zenith Chaos like this.