Your perception of overweight people?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Terrychris, 15th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Am I quite overweight. Yes. Would I employ me? No. Because I suck at being an employee and being pigeon-holed about the way I look. I was a size 10-12, running 10km a day and still told I didn't look the part, so I think it's not always sizeist.

I put on lots of weight while doing ivf. I managed to get a lot of it back off, but then life got tough and I ate my feelings.

A few years on, I'm now a single parent and a small business owner, as well as owning a property portfolio and overseeing a subdivision project. Exercising and eating well take time. Unfortunately when time is limited, it takes a back seat when work needs to be done and the kids need cuddles. With life starting to settle down and my youngest starting school next year I plan to spend a bit of effort on me.

lowIQ and Bayview like this.
  2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

No, this is going back about 15 years or so..

She's a bike riding addict now. ;)

She's doing well; she's 54, has 4 kids, and 6 grand kids, still works full time and rides 6 days per week!!

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Wow - what a thread!! So much to say, so little time.

In this day and age I find it remarkable that such a topic on race, religion or gender would whip folk into a frenzy, but weight....well that is OK!

What is overweight? Many footballers have "overweight" BMI's. All international cross-fit contestants are "overweight" but few would work harder on exercise and nutrition. Interestingly, the longitudinal studies are showing that "overweight" is actually the most healthy weight.

IME it it those that have never had a weight problem that dismiss it as "laziness". Fortunately for them being slim doesn't take much effort.

As for my wife and I...well we fit the obese category. Lazy? Gym 5 days per week, 10km walk most Sunday mornings. Generally eat 'close to the earth' (minimal processed food), but equally enjoy a chicken parma or chocolate cake when out, which is most weekends. We both used to work >50hrs a week, plus do volunteer work. What changed was after the kids became self-sufficient we decided to put ourselves first. No more volunteering (school councils, club committees, fund raises etc). Less time at the office, little to no working at home working after kids were in bed. More time spent on 'us'.

Over the last three years we lost heaps...my wife lost 53kg, and I 24kg, but the weight has stabilised over the last 12 months. But both of us are in our 50's and officially obese. Yet I would suggest we are fitter and stronger than many our age, and a few younger than us.

If I were to generalise, I would suggest 'fit' people are more self centred ;)

As for the questions....

If your overweight do you find you are discriminated against ?

Not really, although I found my wife was. Particularly when clothes shopping. Harder for the ladies than the blokes.

Would you employ a large person ?

Absolutely. In my field its about results, not looks. And someone who can sit at a screen for 8hrs is worth a lot more than someone who can run 5km but not sit and concentrate. My field is all online, so size is irrelevant.

Does being very overweight mean you lack discipline?

May do, may also mean that you are not weight conscious. May also mean you are time poor.

Do you need to be a certain weight to be successful ?

Only as a model, actor, salesperson or similar role where looks is a large component of the role.

Is exercise important to be successful ?

I would say it helps. I am more switched on at the start of the day than I used to be, but then again its probably more to do with being awake an hour earlier and having slept a couple of hours longer.

WattleIdo, Perthguy and MTR like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What can I say.... you have my attention, admiration, OMG...well done.

Get away...... fit people are more self centred.... I would not believe this for one minute...LOL

MTR:)

Last edited: 19th Dec, 2016
  5. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My take on it all... everyone has the right to be what they want and to look however they want. If people knowingly eat bad food and are unhealthily overweight, so be it its on their own life span and health. Same as smoking, alcohol etc. Life choice that people are mostly in control of (some psychological disorders aside).

However dont expect me, as a tax payer, to continually cover health care on self imposed illnesses as a side effect of over indulgence. Call it a stupidity pays system where only 50% of costs are covered for treatments.

Whitecat and Angel like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, slimmer people do everything better without a doubt, and they are highly intelligent people two...

Sorry, I could not help myself, I am very naughty today, time for coffee and my Tim Tam or two, I love dunking

MTR:)

Last edited: 19th Dec, 2016
    Angel and Bayview like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When are you ever tame... :p

MTR likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hello Possum:)

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I think I get on better with women since I put on the pounds. Maybe it's a common theme?

MTR likes this.
  10. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Fat shaming jut like fit shaming, is simply wrong but sometimes you have to call a spade a spade .

First impressions are extra important and the first interaction with others is usually a look so that's the first thing that you would be judged on i believe(and you will be judged, that is simply how humans work...). There are some industries where you need to look the role. You can be an RE who is a bit overweight but looks presentable but you can't be an overweight gym trainer or fitness professional(putting aside any extreme circumstances...).

Fit people have more energy levels physically and are more driven/disciplined when it comes to some regards. Also,being overweight does affect you mentally and not because of the fat shaming but because your body is simply not operating at it's best.

Does that mean automatically that someone who is physically fit would do better than an overweight person for a specific job? Nope.

Bayview and Perthguy like this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I find these days that I dont get any narky comments from the fat old cows at church like I used to when I was really skinny. The fatter they were, the nastier.

12. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Let me guess how many people know how overweight Elon Musk is ?

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

that reminds me of that movie Shallow Hal.... great movie I thought

Shallow Hal

14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Who's Elon Musk? ;)

It's interesting that people think skinny is healthy. Steve Jobs was not overweight

aussieB likes this.
  15. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yeah I can understand that sentiment in the last paragraph to an extent. As someone who occasionally smokes, eats too much, occasionally drinks more than the recommended amount and has partied and overindulged with the best of them, I would love to burden you with paying for my bad decisions but every blood test and checkup I go to comes back perfect and I've paid enough in Tax to support the lovechild of Nathan tjknkler and Roseanne Barr so I guess you got off easy

16. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

I am sure you would like to think its your choice. What are your thoughts around your tax money being doled out to people who are fit enough to do a job but will not ? For generations in some cases.

Sometimes I think, for the tax I pay, I should have a separate lane on the roads I use. I just dont understand why I should go through waiting due to lack of civil infrastructure. I pay more than most in the traffic jam. Special queue at supermarket checkouts. More qualified doctors for my medicare. Slightly more treated water through my water supply. And that my sewer lines should at least be quoted with a layer of diamond paint - you know - so the roots dont cut through them pipes. Wishes. Wishes.

Angel and sanj like this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I used to be chubby, not obese, not even fat, just chubby, high body fat percentage,

and I worked my butt off and lost it all and started a healthy lifestyle,

what I hated and still hate people who say dumb crap like "I cant lose weight because of my metabolism, or my thyroids"
    while shoving a cream puff down their throat,

obviously to maliciouslly put someone down for their weight isnt a good thing, but if some one calls you fat or you ask and they reply honestly, dont get upset,

if you dont like it, make a change, if you cant be bothered making the change, then accept the consequences

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well, Steve Jobs was sick, so that might have had something to do with it!

19. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Exactly! We automatically associate skinny with health when in reality it could mean dying! :eek:

20. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

For someone with several hangups himself you have a surprising lack of any empathy here. Are you comfortable with the same approach being used on you?

Eg next time you go on one of your woe is me tirades about how it will always be an unfulfilled dream to fly business class while you sit on nearly 2m frequent flyer miles, if someone rightly points out that you should book it or shut up accept the consequences you'll consider that a polite everyday interaction?