QLD Rockhampton, Townsville and FNQ

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ryoka, 15th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

I might be a bit biased but FNQ is much better than Darwin. For starters the University is shocking in the NT. FNQ has a lot of large towns as tourist spots eg. Cairns, Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Mackay, Rocky, Yeppon, Bowen ans Townsville. FNQ dominate the basketball circuit for juniors.NT got smashed at the most recent junior championship. Same with most sports. They get smashed. Talent here but the governance and operations is very poor hence why most kids leave Darwin to play sports.

They also have professional sporting teams. The hospitals and Universities are good up that way too. Closer proximity to the East Coast means better pings for those who enjoy gaming. FNQ is still very cheap relative to Darwin. Lots and lots of economic migrants leaving down south and heading there.

You can still get beautiful homes for 400K in safe suburbs and 20mins from town with large blocks. It's also not as hot in most of FNQ compared to Darwin.

The best thing about Darwin is really the Indigenous culture and the close proximity to SE Asia. I don't think there is a fair discount to live so remote.

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2022
  2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I second re FNQ. But I think it comes to the fact that FQN is much more developed. Cairns is the most liveable regional centre in Australia. There a large number of developed town, great transport network and job. So from economic perspective FNQ is better placed as well.

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  3. Ariyahn2011

It will slowly change. The heat is good for the joints over freezing cold weather hehe. My knees feel so much better. Every time I visit family down in Melbourne my joints hurt.

The medium house price is higher in Alice Springs ($485,000) than Townsville lol. That should put value into perspective. Been to Alice many times. It's a nice town but the prices are insane.

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2022
  4. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

Random question - Do most people from other regions consider Townsville to be FNQ?

I grew up close to Tville, went to uni there and have been living in Cairns for over 20 years. It’s always been Tville and surrounds is NQ and cairns and surrounds is FNQ.

Possibly no one gives a ****!

Noobieboy, Ariyahn2011 and New Town like this.
  5. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

No lol, but I agree with that.

Greedo likes this.
  6. Ariyahn2011

Nah interesting observation. I suppose the Top End is Darwin and FNQ is Cairns. That makes sense from a geographical standpoint :). We plan to visit Cairns regularly to watch the NBL.

Greedo likes this.
  7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I love Cairns. Would live there in a heat beat. I'm there every 2nd week. Just spent 30 days there full time. Really friendly laid back place everything you need, but the medical is booked out for specialities. 2 hr 20 flight to Brisbane fixes that.

Noobieboy and Greedo like this.
  8. Ariyahn2011

My wife loves Cairns and wanted to go there for our PPOR. It just came down to employment for us. We definitely plan to get up there a fair bit for weekends and catch some NBL matches. Looking to relocate there eventually?

9. Ariyahn2011

From the Townsville Bulletin

Professor Colin Dwyer noted "Townsvilles home affordability is comparatively better than all capital cities and better than all comparatively sized cities".

Full report from Queensland Country Bank to be released on the 25th of Jan 2022 which may provide some interesting commentary.

Some personal commentary from my end. Unfortunately still stuck in Darwin where I am paying $2600 for a 3 bedroom 302m2 home in Durack which is about 20 minutes from town. When we reach our home in Bushland Beach our house costs will literally be cut in half. House is also approx. 20minutes from town and is 900sm :)!!

In other words Profs Dwyer's comments very much resonate with me and my family.

Last edited: 22nd Jan, 2022
    jai collier likes this.
  10. Noobieboy

I’m definitely planning to move to Cairns if employment is not an issue. Maybe retirement. While the city itself is nice, well organised and friendly. Let’s admit it. Their beach is horrendous. Though the views from the promenade are stunning. Sitting there and sipping a drink is better than being in Thailand.

Closest nice beach to Cairns that I know is Palm cove. Closes mind blowing, stunningly picturesque beachI know is nudie beach on Fitzroy island, just a Ferry ride from the city.

31AA5BD2-6E06-46E7-8C13-3A9F3C78EE33.jpeg

Greedo and Ariyahn2011 like this.
  11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Nudie beach is on Fitzroy island.

Fraser Island is hundreds of km south, near Hervey Bay.

12. Noobieboy

Mornings. Gotta love them. Thanks. Fixed

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Fitzroy Island is a great day trip option if you're living in Cairns.

When I lived in the area I lived at Kewarra Beach.

Not a bad location: local beach was ok and 15 mins to Palm Cove and around 25 mins to Cairns CBD.

Still reasonably priced too I reckon:

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/in-kewarra+beach,+qld+4879/list-1?activeSort=solddate

Noobieboy and Ariyahn2011 like this.
  14. Ariyahn2011

Gee, some beautiful homes there Boss.

This is out of this world. Appears to be tucked away in the dam Forest.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-kewarra+beach-136849722

15. Noobieboy

One million in Cairns…. It’s not the affordable paradise it used to be. :(

16. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Yes mate. As you head North of Cairns itself along the coast a lot of properties on the Western side of the Bruce Highway are nestled in the rainforest.

Spectacular scenery...

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  17. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

True but still good bang for your buck I reckon

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  18. Ariyahn2011

With respect you're paying 1.2 Million or more in areas in Darwin. The blocks significantly smaller. In the new world I believe that is still cheap provided you have employment pathways.

Take a look at Fannie Bay in Darwin and tell me where you would spend your time :p

Fannie Bay

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-nt-fannie+bay-137437862

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-townhouse-nt-fannie+bay-137085150

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nt-fannie+bay-137459622

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nt-fannie+bay-129180966

Stuart Park

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nt-stuart+park-138293726

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nt-stuart+park-138136402

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nt-stuart+park-138240822

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nt-larrakeyah-105961168

19. Ariyahn2011

Recently read an article where Prof Dwyer noted 6000 jobs were added in 2021 in Townsville. Number of people in work as of December was 117,900 which was up from 6000 from previous years. Prof Dwyer also noted he would not be surprised if Townsville passes 200,000 people in 2022.

Source: Townsville Bulletin to read the full report.

There are still some challenges in Townsville such as petty crime and insurance which is the case for a number of regions in QLD. Really important to ensure your property is not in flood prone areas. However, on balance, Townsville continues to do great, and it remains to be an attractive location for PPOR buyers.

Interested to hear how other regions are going who are on the ground. Cairns? Mackay?

Last edited: 25th Jan, 2022
  20. jai collier

jai collier Well-Known Member

Townsville sounds like it could be a good investment, seeing blocks of land for 200k near the city still

Ariyahn2011 likes this.