QLD Rockhampton, Townsville and FNQ

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ryoka, 15th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lesley$$$

Lesley$$$ New Member

Ariyahn, Could you pls share your buyer's agent info with me too? tia

2. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Yes, unfortunately homelessness is increasing across regional Australia.

Some locals seem to think that the regional boom is only temporary though: so when they're pushed out of their homes due to rising rents or the property being sold to an owner occupier they're sleeping in tents, ect in the hopes that the market will cool down sooner rather than later.

Sad really because there are still rental properties available in smaller, inland towns and plenty of units in capital cities too.

Either way...a lot of the lower socioeconomic demographic is ultimately going to be pushed out of the East Coast lifestyle areas in the coming years.

They'll be forced into houses in smaller, inland towns and/or units in capital cities.

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  3. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

On board with this ^. The wave has been hitting Toowoomba for 12 months, I got a desktop val of our PPOR when I refinanced our loans 4 months ago, just got another and it is up around 28% in that time. Vals are finally catching up to what I am seeing around town.

I live here for the lifestyle nothing more nothing less. I bought in here 12 years ago and now the mortgage = the last 4 months value increase = 1 years wages (although I am lucky enough to have a well paying job).

I wouldn't recommend moving here though, stay away the other places on the list are soo much better ;)

Hamish84, K1200, sauber and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

This is quite literally happening in Townsville. Townsville Facebook groups are littered with people pleading for a rental and complaining they are living in tents or caravan parks. A lot of them are having to move down to towns/cities where there is available stock. There also seems to be a lot of anger and locals are not impressed with all the new settlers coming in buying homes (cashed up with equity or straight cash).

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2022
  5. Ariyahn2011

Sent :) ..

wilso8948 and Lesley$$$ like this.
  6. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

FNQ is not for everyone - if you're OK with heat/humidity, then go for it.

Obviously there will always be people who live there for work/family reasons too... just don't be surprised if you move to Mackay and spend all summer inside in the air-con...

(Not saying there isn't value in FNQ, just that I'd hate to live there myself!)

Plab and sauber like this.
  7. Ariyahn2011

You’re right a lot of high-income earners in FNQ. I am not sure they can get away with just assuming they will get rentals in the current climate. A lot of these people who come for work, often come for 4 – 5 years, progress their career, and then go back to where they originally came from. This is very common in Darwin and it is one of the reasons we have such a transient workforce.

You’re right, it is a location where you must love the heat. I am one of those people. The heat does wonders on my joints and health (med discharged from the Army). In Townsville case, there is over 300+ days of sunshine which bodes well with solar power and keeping cool in the home when needed. Given money can go further in FNQ I do feel you want to get a nice home so you can relax during the warmer months. It is worthwhile getting a pool that’s for sure. A pool and a basketball court will be our first purchases in the coming years. I should also note Townsville is not as hot as Darwin.

sauber likes this.
  8. Ariyahn2011

This bloke speaks about the 15 most affordable regions in Australia (outside of Melbourne and Sydney). Bundy, Rocky, Mackay, Cairns and Townsy given a mention.

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2022
  9. Ariyahn2011

I also think this will continue to assist SEQ & FNQ

Decentralisation reshaping cities

"'COVID’s impact on where people live and work will continue to play out, according to Mr Hayes.

“The residential housing sector has been a major beneficiary of the decentralisation of cities via de-urbanisation. The further adoption of flexible work practices has given more choice on the location of where people choose to live. Many gateway cities have experienced population outflows in 2021, due to affordability concerns or the desire for improved lifestyle,” he said.

In terms of office real estate, the office sector will also set to follow this path of decentralisation.

Mr Hayes said, “We expect to see a continued split between heavily disrupted sky rise office towers, in favour of modern ‘A’ grade city fringe and suburban office buildings. That split between the city fringe and city centre used to be based on industry sectors, with traditional professional services in the centre, and ‘new’ sectors like technology, media and IT sectors further out. However, we believe there will be greater convergence between the new and old sectors going forward.”

Reference: 10 big investment themes to watch in 2022

10. Ariyahn2011

Townsville not slowing down. Rents picking up. Plenty of positive cash flow properties if you so the right research and get the right house. Those living in other regions, how are they going?

11. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Not sure about the other states but most of regional QLD and regional NSW is absolutely cranking (coastal areas and scenic inland areas).

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  12. Ariyahn2011

I can confirm Darwin is slowing down according go the latest data from Core Logic.

But yes, regional QLD and regional NSW is not slowing down ..... I suppose people are looking to shave off a couple of years and in some cases even decades from their working life by looking outside of the cities.

13. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

I wonder how regional NT is going?

Katherine, Alice Springs and the smaller NT regionals?

14. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Non regional NT isn’t going that well. I would assume regional is even worse

15. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

Fantastic natural environment in regional NT though.

Sharks, Box Jellyfish, Portuguese Man of War, Buffaloes, Crocodiles, Razorback Boars, Snakes and Spiders.

All good fun intermingled with secluded beaches and waterfalls.

So a great retirement destination I'm thinking.

Never a dull moment :)

New Town likes this.
  16. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

It is stunning. And it should get much more attention than it gets. Similar to Queensland and WA. These three are diamonds in the rough. But people be people. A p**s stained cardboard box in Darlinghurst Sydney apparently is more valuable than most properties in any of these states.

17. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

What are you replying to?

18. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Not many other towns in the NT
    Nhulunbuy, Pine Creek, Elliot, Mataranka, Daly Waters, Larrimah, Timber Creek, Batchelor, Dundee, Adelaide River, Humpty Doo , others on map are communities

Nulunbuy and Adelaide probably the only towns with over 500 people and a few of the others above would be lucky to have 20-50

19. strongy1986

im assuming talking about NT

20. strongy1986

Yep NT and Far North Aus in general is next level but it isnt for everyone. 95% of people wouldnt be able to handle it. We only holiday there (normally in camper trailer or stay at friends) so latest we have been in north NT is December
    Not sure how i would feel about the wet though