QLD Rockhampton, Townsville and FNQ

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ryoka, 15th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ryoka

Ryoka Well-Known Member

Hi people,

I've been looking at these burbs:
    Bundaberg
    Innisfail
    Toowoomba
    Rockhampton
    Mackay
    Cairns
    Townsville

Does anyone have any opinions (good or bad) on those areas? Which ones have stronger potential growth?

Ariyahn2011 likes this.
  2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

What does YOUR initial research tell you about the areas you have nominated?
    There is just about a separate thread on every location you have mentioned, here on PC.
    Do some reading....

QldGuy likes this.
  3. Ariyahn2011

Ariyahn2011 Well-Known Member

I am bullish on Townsville and Mackay...

Townsville capital of the North.
    Largest Army Barracks
    Airforce Base
    James Cook University
    NRL and Rugby with new stadium
    Supercar Racing
    Great Hospital
    Mining feeder into other towns
    Airport (international flights to Singapore coming online soon hopefully)
    Hopefully Bonza (new regional airline gets approved to open up more flights in and out of Townsville)
    The Strand great place for the family and single professionals
    Magnetic Island
    3.5 Hours to Whitsundays Drive
    4 hour drive to Cairns
    3 Hour to Airlie Beach
    Hydrogen potentially unlocking near Townsville
    Solar Power benefit in the sunshine to reduce bills particularly with current government rebate
    Diversified economy ad job opportunities(correct me if I am wrong but lowest unemployment since GFC)
    Largest Aquarium in Australia in Townsville
    Townsville city deal

Way more benefits but too many to name right now. I used a buyers agent from this forum and I bought in Bushland Beach, on a hill, out of the flood zone and storm surge which resulted in a pretty good insurance rate.

PS I appreciate the thread. We need more discussion on FNQ. It is a market that is not fully appreciated in my opinion. Good things are happening.

Good luck

Property101, Plab, sauber and 6 others like this.
  4. Ryoka

Ryoka Well-Known Member

Thats the thing, its hard to find sub 300k brick houses less than 30yrs old (depreciation) in bugger towns but these burbs showed up. All positive cash flow with depreciation and under 300k and with a decent base of infrastructure (schools, uni, tafe, airport...etc).

So i wondered why they're not as explosive as the Ipswich/Logan areas which are ballistic right now.

JasonJS and Ariyahn2011 like this.
  5. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

The Insurance Premiums in Townsville and Bundy may be significant and may affect Positive Cashflow. Perhaps in the current environment the Interest Rates may rise and this may also have an impact on the Positive Cashflow if exposed to market forces. These smaller cities/towns are also more prone to Extreme Weather events Floods/Cyclones etc. On the positive side the infrastructure is reasonable and there are investment $$ flowing into some of these regions and may result in better economic situation down the track.

Nando Lee and WattleIdo like this.
  6. Ariyahn2011

My insurance is $1300 per year. Need to get the right house. Darwin is also subject to weather events and yet prices are much higher. My sisters home flooded in Brisbane (twice). Need to buy a house in the right location. People are sleeping on fnq. Also talks on government insurance pool (10 bil pilot program I believe commencing next year July), if that occurs, will be big too imo.

Last edited: 16th Nov, 2021
  7. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

People can only sleep for so long. Eventually the stigma will change and the first movers are the ones to reap the rewards.

8. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Are insurance premiums high in Bundaberg?

9. Ariyahn2011

I have not checked personally but I believe if your buying in the right spot, eg. Reduced risk, it will help with your insurance quote..

10. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

We are in all of those places. Last week I did a road trip from Brisbane to Airlie Beach, this week Airle Beach to Cairns. There are markets within markets as always. Townsville has loads of new subdivisions, seems to be ample supply of land. Airlie has low vacancy rate.

Nando Lee likes this.
  11. PeterCr

PeterCr Well-Known Member

As others have quoted - some spots that were flood affected in the recent past have some significant premiums. You may have to pick the right ones and check a few quotes to ensure the costs are acceptable. Bundy where the right pricing on the stock - it looks like they are moving reasonably quick. Anything under 300K are snapped up relatively quickly.

12. Ryoka

Ryoka Well-Known Member

Townsville is flying!

This is also reassuring:

jai collier, Ariyahn2011 and PeterCr like this.
  13. Ariyahn2011

Bushland Beach is in high demand too. Got a few people leaving Darwin and heading to Townsville from my network. Can't speak if that is a larger trend amongst Darwin residents as value for money is not that good I'm Darwin at the moment imo. Do a simple comparison on realestate and then also compare compare services too.

DanielleW likes this.
  14. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I guess Darwin has that hip appeal that Townsville doesnt.
    Darwin is diverse , multicultural, laid back and has great access to unrivalled camping/fishing spots
    Townsville has a huge image problem - it is best known for rednecks, bogans, clive palmer and Rugba League
    I think Townsville will reach par with Darwin again but it will come on the back of jobs and not the promise of a tropical lifestyle.
    I do agree that property there is frustratingly good value for money - been holding in West End since 2015 and just starting to see some solid movement

Nando Lee likes this.
  15. Ariyahn2011

I live in Darwin and I agree, I love the Indigenous culture up here. But the cost of living really makes it miserable. I am paying $2600 per month for an average home. The housing quality is terrible. Fencing is dreadful and houses in Zuccoli, Durack and so on are extremely overpriced for the land you are getting.

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nt-gunn-137892878 - 312 SM

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nt-gunn-137484842 - 450 SM

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nt-durack-137463086 - 205 SM

Much the same for Zuccoli

Way more value in FNQ atm.

Last edited: 18th Nov, 2021
  16. user12345678

user12345678 New Member

Hi Ariyahn, new to the forum but keen to look further at IPs in FNQ. Are you able to share the buyers agent details? Not sure if this is allowed on the forum and couldn't work out how to message you privately. Thanks

17. Ariyahn2011

Absolutely he is a regular poster on this forum. Will PM you his details :)

Lesley$$$ likes this.
  18. Ryoka

Ryoka Well-Known Member

IPs are great in FNQ. But insirance for a free standing house os about $3k. Take that into account.

19. Ariyahn2011

Agree. Although, Sure Insurance might help with that but key is finding a property in a good location and not subject to flooding.... I am hopeful of the insurance situation improving with the Government Insurance Pool Pilot program which will further assist the region....

"The Federal Government has this week issued a release stating that more affordable and accessible insurance will be offered due to the establishment of a reinsurance pool by the Morrison Government. The reinsurance pool would cover cyclone and related flood damage in northern Australia from 1 July 2022, and would be backed by a $10 billion government guarantee."

Ryoka likes this.
  20. Ariyahn2011

Jobs boom in Townsville. Top 10 in job creation in the nation. Likely to further expand with renewable energy.

Jobseekers urged to cash in on Townsville’s jobs boom

No Cookies | Townsville Bulletin

Last edited: 21st Nov, 2021

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia