Your Latest Purchase

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MTR, 17th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

May 2015 3BR house on 700 sqm in Newcastle. PPOR while renovating. Townhouse potential but that is on hold for a few years.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Has Newcastle moved??? I just don't get this market, I think it has had a little jump but nothing substantial right??

3. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Yes Newcastle has moved, depends on the suburb as to how much. Places like Wickham have doubled in 2 years. My 2013 purchase in Waratah West has seen near 40% in 18 months. So I'd say substantial.

It is the most active winter period I have witnessed for many years. Will see how it goes leading into summer.

4. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Where in western suburbs, William?

5. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Hi mate.

Both in Oxley.

We also collected a BA fee for a third site in Oxley we wanted but couldn't afford due to some cash flow constraints :( It has gotten bloody exy now though. I reckon we could sell each site we picked up for 10-15% more than what we paid within 6 months. It's getting a bit silly for "land" in most areas we are looking.

Bayview likes this.
  6. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Nice. North or South of Ipswich rd? There are a few hidden developments in behind there now just on the Northside of the Ippy hwy. The inductrial development at the old ? Boral site should also help with employment.

7. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

All well north. One is almost Corinda, and the other two are smack bang in middle, none of them wet though which we were pleased with.

There are yer, there is so much going on in the suburb with some medium density stuff as well, not far from the station. It's a top spot and hopefully will shake a bit of the crime etc stigma in the near future. When you look at the growth suburbs like Chelmer, Corinda, Sherwood have had, I think it's set to explode but that's just me.

Cheers

8. Ramos023

Ramos023 Well-Known Member

Going for IP #4 in Mount Warrigal can pick this up for $450k IMO undervalued as a lot as been put into it with drive ways, pergola, ducted air con and new kitchen and bathroom.

http://www.onthehouse.com.au/report...9/21_Henricks_Parade_MOUNT_WARRIGAL_NSW_2528/ was purchased in 2004 for 400k

My only concern is that I have 3 other IPs in Albion Park, Horsley and Figtree ( all Wollongong region ) and this will put my land tax between 6-7k for NSW ... it should rent for around 440 id imagine quite easily

Basically the diversification argument is always strong and don't want too much exposure in the one market.

Any thoughts?

Bayview likes this.
  9. KoopaTroopa

KoopaTroopa Active Member

Yes I bought IP3, settled late March 2015

South East QLD 3/1/1, $320k, rents for $350/wk

This is the last purchase for a while I think, at least a year while I wait for (hopefully) some good CG.

Bayview likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I've never been able to justify developing in less expensive areas. I'm guessing your numbers would be something like this....eg old house/land = $500K.
    All-in cost to build 5 townhouses, say, $1.5 mill.
    Total outlay = $2 mill.
    Townhouses valued at $450K each = $2.25 mill.
    Profit = $200-250K plus, and if all townhouses kept, yield would be say, $400-450 pw, so 5-6% yield max for the devo.

Am I way off? Is there enough fat to justify the risk?

OC1 likes this.
  11. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I can't add anything other than to say that I bought one there earlier this year, rented immediately for $440. I'll take it as a good sign that you're thinking of buying there again.

Coota9 likes this.
  12. Arashi87

Arashi87 Well-Known Member

North Gosford - 3/2/2 - $400k

Bayview, montoya and Chilliblue like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There is plenty of fat in the deal, your end values are too low at least $100k per townhouse. My townhouses including double garage will be 20 sq, sales anywhere conservatively from $550k and as much as 600k-620k dependent on location.

Compare sales Croydon, I have been monitoring this. Recent sales OTP similar product sold for 595k, but working on $550k. To not limit market, master bedroom, ensuite on ground level.

But I may not necessarily build ...not sure?I may be selling the DA to builder/developer, it's all about the timing vs risk

MTR

Last edited: 30th Jul, 2015
  14. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

July 2015 koondoola WA

Arnel :)

15. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Have you thought about a different ownership structure to beat land tax. Maybe like a trust? And I agree with the diversification argument. You have 3 pretty close together. Maybe go outside your usual area. Actually with other cities starting to move maybe thunk about buying your next one in a moving market in another city. Diversification is good. Increases your chance of getting some CG all the time as opposed to a lot once. Then having to wait for the next cycle. Just my thoughts....:)

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Are you looking or have you purchased?

17. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Purchased :)

Undergoing reno... Will post progress thread soon

Arnel

MrRB and MTR like this.
  18. Pins

Pins Well-Known Member

Sunshine, Vic. Last week! 2 bedroom brick beauty.

Bayview likes this.
  19. Ramos023

Ramos023 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have thought about it, and looked into it a little not in great depth, but I just always saw the land tax as a cost of business and understand trusts can be expensive etc

I have a friend moving to Adelaide to run one of the new ALDI stores they are opening, so when I go to visit him in September I will make it a business and pleasure trip. Thanks for your response, I agree with them as Wollongong has experienced a lot of CG in the last few years ive had my others. I just was excited about perhaps getting it below market, and fully furnished to rent ASAP.

20. slumdogmillionaire

slumdogmillionaire Member

do you have a link to this? not bad price i must say. is it in reasonable condition? good buy