Your experience of Kaboodle by Bunnings

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Leewei, 31st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 5080

5080 Active Member

I rate the Ikea kitchens, used their wall units in my camper conversion. Have also used a bunnies kitchen and don't rate the quality much, screws pulled out of hinge holes in doors etc. Very mediocre and would say they are more what you would find in a laundry then a kitchen, apologies to any one that has them.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That's what imagination is for.

We've done flatpaks by Bunnings (Kaboodle) - Mr Ply and Wood - and Masters ... all worked well, simply used different sources due to different "standard" sizes to fit what we wanted to at the time.

Never done a benchtop yet as generally install stone.

@DaveM The reason they don't include the "bits" is that there are so many "bits" choices nowaways - soft close runners versus push close - push opening hinges versus pull opening - sitting on a plinth rather than feet. You'd feel ripped off if something was included that wasn't what you wanted (but you've paid for it cause it's included). And, of course, overhead cupboards aren't included - they're a separate cupboard (doh)

Phar Lap likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yep thats a good point. My issue with it is that the accessories are all at retail gouge prices ($7 a hinge etc) whereas with the Flatpax range it used to come as a whole set for the same price as what they sell Kaboodle for as just the carcass.

4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Some ikea kitchens are not waterproofed correctly. They swell when water gets on them.
    We ask clients to make a choice on Bunnings or mitre 10 for renos.

5. Leewei

Leewei Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the latest range by IKEA? I'm talking about the METOD.

6. eek

eek New Member

Used both Bunnings and Ikea cabinets for various purposes around IP a few years ago. Biggest difference was Bunnings cabinets had a solid 16mm back on the cabinets you can use it to screw into various substrates/framing, whereas the Ikea ones had a flimsy 6mm material. Also, the prices do add up once you factor in hinges, fixings, plugs, end panels, etc. I've found if you installed them correctly, and didn't go to town with an impact driver on screws they don't strip or pull out, unless you decide to swing off a door one day.

Personally liked the range of Ikea doors better for aesthetic reasons. As mentioned by others, they both only come in standard sizes, so can be restrictive depending on what you want. Some smaller one-man-band type cabinet makers won't be expensive and could have custom things built up for you. Probably not needed for IP's though.

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Bunnings / Kaboodle was rubbish in my opinion. Poorly built.

Better off getting a local supplier who imports the cabinets from China.

Cheaper and better too.

8. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Ive done a few kaboodles and they are very easy to assemble and pretty cheap (but keep a watch on the price as they have gone up a bit from memory.
    The beauty with them is bunnings gaurantee the doors from fading etc for -10years?)i think.

The beauty of this is no matter where yr property is in oz ( for warranty purposes or if yr tenant damages it)you can get a replacement easy and quick and it will match the rest of yr kitchen

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Did you assemble and install them all yourself or assemble and then get someone to install?

10. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

I assembled them myself .They are very straightforward once you do a couple .They even sell a template for the handles -to ensure you get them straight !
    Or pay a handyman and he would only take about 4-8 hours depending on size-so $400 odd dollars labour

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Did you have to pay someone to install them or just get a plumber to connect it all?

12. #house

#house Active Member

Had a look at the Bunnings line of wall cabinets yesterday (for a small laundry reno - maybe two cabinets).

In addition to the Kaboodle setup (which seems a bit pricey), I also spotted Bedford units which seem reasonably cheap. The flatpax line is also still available. Cheapest was the marquee line, but the demo had badly sagging doors and looked pretty stained from hand prints. Reasonably impressed by the Bunnings product selection but will have a look at mitre 10, Masters and a local cabinet maker.

13. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

hI AZAZEL,
    i have done both install and pay handyman to install.They are pretty easy to do yrself just take a level

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is it difficult to fix it into place, like to the wall and in corners?
    Did they have those adjustable feet on them?

15. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

yes man ,adjustable feet ,no not difficult at all

Phar Lap likes this.
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ok, cheers
    I might give it a go one day.

17. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

Totally go for it !

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Alright, I will!
    I've also got to learn to tile.

19. #house

#house Active Member

I ended up going with the Ikea metod. Their remarkable choice of sizes meant I could easily find a combination to fit and they were muuuuch cheaper. The Kaboodle is over twice the price(!!!) and just too tall. I got a quote from a cabinet maker but it was ~four times the price of the Ikea. Ikea also has a diversity of colourful door styles and its cheap to change.

I have my reservations. The fibre-board backing is pretty flimsy. But they saved me hundreds and look great.

Jess Peletier and Perthguy like this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Masters do a range. I have looked at them, Ikea and Kaboodle. I liked the Masters ones better. From memory, the brand name is Profile?

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.